"Return to Labyrinth" and "Legends of the Dark Crystal" Graphic Novels?!

Land Strider

Reaction score
I just read this on the Comic Con (San Diego, July 22) schedule. This is new right?!? Because this is the first I've heard, and I'm floored! Can't WAIT to go to this!!

>>>
12:30-1:30 TOKYOPOP and The Jim Henson Company present Labyrinth and Dark Crystal Manga— From the creative forces of The Jim Henson Company and TOKYOPOP comes the continuation of two of the most endearing fantasy films of all time. Jake T. Forbes (writer) and Chris Lie (artist) of Return to Labyrinth and Barbara Kesel (writer) of Legends of the Dark Crystal discuss their exciting new books. Accompanying the creators will be Michael Polis, senior VP of marketing and home entertainment of The Jim Henson Company and TOKYOPOP editors Rob Valois and Tim Beedle. Plus, get a free Labyrinth manga poster. Room 1A
<<<

:excited:

-Kim

Land Strider

Reaction score
I did a little researching, and came across this from July 19, 2005 -- good grief!

http://www.tokyopop.com/news/press2005/2005_henson.php

TOKYOPOP also plans to release a sequel manga to Labyrinth, which first hit the big screen in 1986, remained a fan favorite over the years and also served as an inspiration for MirrorMask. Its manga version will follow a 13-year-old Toby as he journeys back to the Labyrinth to assume his role as the heir to the Goblin Kingdom. Manga writer Jake Forbes will write this series.

The final title will be a prequel to 1982's The Dark Crystal, the classic tale of good versus evil that broke ground as the first fully animatronic feature. Henson also recently announced that it is in preproduction on a sequel theatrical film of this cult classic.
And, OHOH, some early cover image art over at the Cinescape site! They also talk about the Comic Con event, and it looks like the issue will be available to BUY there! woohoo!

http://tinyurl.com/r6z8u

alorindanya

Reaction score
You can buy Return to Labyrinth at Amazon.com, and it also has the full color cover.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Looks good. But Jareth doesn't look like Bowie at all :mad:

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
What is the title for the MirrorMask Manga? It looks like the Dark Crystal manga is going to be a series. Hope to get these soon! This is my 400th post! AWESOME! (only 600 more to go.)

Reaction score
A lot of people are debating over the "Return to Labyrinth" and if it's going to be the form of shounen ai (guy/guy)... Which is NOT how I wanted this series to go. I don't believe that Jareth switched to boys all of a sudden. (Sorry, still stuck on the fact that he liked Sarah.)

But I'll still read it if it is, and the decision on buying it will be decided then. I expect to see a girl in there, not caring who.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Maybe while Jareth had Toby, he somehow saw the possibilities Toby had for being the ruler of the goblins.

edible eye

Reaction score
Laszlo said:
Looks good. But Jareth doesn't look like Bowie at all :mad:
LOL nope. This drawing's pupils are the same size and it looks like a girl.

Land Strider

Reaction score
I was dumb and waited until the last day at Comic-Con to try to find the Tokyopop booth to buy the manga, so it was all sold out. SO, I still dont have the full idea of what it is about, but I went to the Comic Con panel that was specifically for these Dark Crystal and Labyrinth manga books (which was absolutely packed full and standing room only, by the way, and I was actually almost behind the panelists right next to the stage), and I can tell you that the writers and artists and the Henson people involved demonstrated nothing but affection for both the films. I was particularly moved by the writer of the Labyrinth book, who said his one and only fanfic was a possible sequel to Labyrinth -- the story isn't the same as what is in the manga, but the seeds have been in his mind for a long time.

I'm still really curious what they have written as a sequel, although I am not used to reading manga style books so I know thats going to throw me off a little. Plus, yeah, I know it's the style, but couldnt they make Jareth just a little more manly? Pretty please?