Return to Labyrinth: The Video Game

RedPiggy

Reaction score
RETURN TO LABYRINTH: THE VIDEO GAME
Note: This is my video game based on Jake T. Forbes’ Return to the Labyrinth comic four-parter, though at the time of this writing, the last volume isn’t out yet, so I’m just gonna make stuff up, LOL. If you’ve heard of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, you know that’s a game that is affected by your answers in psychological tests (the protagonist is undergoing therapy in the game) and by your actions in gameplay. I find that idea fascinating. I will try my best to write this in a logical, flowing manner. You will begin by choosing either Teen Toby or Adult Sarah. Each choice will affect the plot and, if multiple game saves are used, might also influence subsequent playthroughs (like how in Metal Gear Solid games that Psychic Mantis guy or whatever could read your Playstation memory card to make jabs about your video game choices). That being said, I will start with Teen Toby’s playthrough, as the comic focuses more on his journey anyway. The following will sort of be like a brief manual to get you started so I don’t have to spend time explaining this stuff when I start the story. [/end note]

The game manual will have a red cover, like Sarah’s book she reads at the beginning of the movie.

Through dangers untold
And hardships unnumbered,
I have fought my way to the castle
Beyond the Goblin City.

Give back the child that you have stolen.

For my will is as strong as yours.
My kingdom is as great.

You have no power over me.

In 1986 a teenage girl named Sarah Williams resented her mother leaving and forcing her to live with her father and his new wife. Even worse, they had a baby boy named Toby and she felt a slave to the demanding little infant. She read lots of fantastic fairy tales in the comfort of her toy-stuffed bedroom and acted out her dreams in a nearby park. One night, frustrated because she had to babysit again, Sarah called upon the Goblin King she had read about to take the child away from her.

She was surprised when he actually did.

The Goblin King taunted her as she began her journey through his Labyrinth, which was designed to trap those who sought his heart.

She fought her way to his castle beyond the Goblin City, making new friends and proclaiming her independence from the Goblin King, taking away his power over her and returning both her and her half-brother to their home safely.

And yet, thirteen years later, the Goblin King found he needed them once more to protect his heart from an outside threat ….

()()()()()()

The menu screen’s background has the matte shot typically used of the castle in the background right and the labyrinth in the foreground. All text on the menu screen is in the Labyrinth font with “Return to Labyrinth: The Video Game” in the upper left corner. In the center are these menu choices, from top to bottom: Start New Game, Load Game, Options, and Extras. Selecting an choice throughout the menus will display a glistening crystal ball by the choice and highlight the text in the choice. The Load Game screen will be the opened red book of Sarah’s with each save file written as text on the two visible pages. The options screen will be a picture of Alph and Ralph, the two door goblins that gave Sarah a logic puzzle to solve in order to progress. The options will be displayed in between the two doors: Difficulty, Audio/Video, Brightness/Contrast, and Subtitles. The Extras screen will be a still of the white ballroom scene. The text of the choices will be in large spherical clear bubbles that form a wavy diagonal line from top left to bottom right. The choices are Music Videos, Concept Art, Minigames, and Trophy List.

For the Playstation 3: The left analogue button is for movement. The right analogue button is camera control. The shoulder buttons are L1, L2, R1, and R2. L1 and R1 will make the character evade left and right respectively. L2, when held, will enable combat with the square button. R2 will activate hints. The D-pad on the left of the control is to navigate the menus and in-game choices. On the right of the controller, the triangle button is top, the square button is below that to the left, the circle button is below the triangle button to the right, and the X button is directly below the triangle button. The triangle button is used to access in-game menus. The square button is used to interact with weapons or other objects. The circle button is used to talk to characters. The X button is used to confirm choices and skip cinemas, though the latter isn’t recommended. The Start button, just to the left of the shape-labeled buttons, is used to reach the Save/Load Menu. The PS button in the center enables you to quit the game or turn off the system. The select button to the left of the PS button is nonfunctional.

In-game menus are black backgrounds with images and labels of choices and pause the game:

Inventory: To choose weapons or objects for use in the game.
Options: To change the same options except Difficulty within the game.

The menus’ music will be an instrumental version of Underground. No synthesizer nonsense. Actual instruments will be used throughout the game.

Also, the Playstation 3 has a clock. The game will recognize the clock.

There will be trophies to this game, earned when certain conditions are met. They are the following:

There’s No Place Like Home: Attempt to contact Mr. and Mrs. Williams or look at all their belongings in the Williams’ house. (The conditions will affect character interactions and scenery appearances.)

Home Life Sucks: Avoid attempting to contact Mr. or Mrs. Williams or looking at their belongings in the Williams’ house. (The conditions will affect character interactions and scenery appearances.)

Goblin Enlisted: Defeat 10 enemies.

Goblin Sergeant: Defeat 100 enemies.

Goblin Captain: Defeat 250 enemies.

Goblin General: Defeat 500 enemies.

Goblin Royalty: Defeat the final boss.

Pathmaker: Avoid combat and use the environment to defeat all bosses.

There’s No Rush: Beat the game in over thirteen hours.

Jareth’s Clock: Beat the game in no more than thirteen hours.

You Totally Skipped Stuff: Beat the game in under six hours.

Music You Wished For: Create one music video with the cinemas and your own music stored on the hard drive.

Video Games WON’T Ruin You: Beat all mini-games.

Getting to Know You: Interact positively with Hana, Stank, Skub, Spittledrum, Candlewic, Moulin, Drumlin, Hoggle, Ludo, Sir Didymus, and the Lead Fiery.

Forbes’ Fans: Interact positively with Return to Labyrinth characters Hana, Stank, Skub, Spittledrum, Candlewic, Moulin, and Drumlin. (The conditions will affect character interactions and scenery appearances.)

The Movie Was Cooler: Interact positively with the movie characters Hoggle, Ludo, Sir Didymus, and the Lead Fiery. (The conditions will affect character interactions and scenery appearances.)

Backstabber: Defeat Candlewic.

No Love for this Bodyguard: Defeat Esker.

We Are Siblings Henceforth: Defeat Sir Didymus.

A Pixie Gets Her Wings: Help Hana get her wings back.

I Can Show You Your Dreams: Help Moppet find the music box.

Stoned: Solve the Stone Maze.

Hedge Your Bets: Solve the Hedge Maze.

Hostile Tourist: Fight your way through Goblin City.

Nice Place to Visit: Avoid combat in Goblin City.

You Have No Power Over Me: Obtain all the other trophies.

That is the end of the manual. I shall continue with Toby’s Walkthrough.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
INTRODUCTION AND THE WILLIAMS’ HOUSE

If you don’t press anything on the menu for two minutes, an introductory music video showing clips of the movie Labyrinth will play, similar to the Labyrinth abridged video on Youtube. After you’ve beaten the game and can make a music video of your own, that video will play as the introduction instead if you choose that option.

Once you start the game, you will see Teen Toby on the left and Adult Sarah on the right, with their names underneath them. The default appearance will be a teenaged Toby Froud (the boy who played Infant Toby in the movie) and adult Jennifer Connelly (who played Sarah in the movie), wearing a brown T-shirt with a Kingdom of Goblins logo on the front, baggy jean pants, and high-top sneakers for Toby and a black pantsuit with a long-sleeved white blouse, glasses, and black leather pumps for Sarah. Alternate appearances will include Comic Teen Toby, in similar clothes to Toby Froud without the logo and shorter, straighter hair; Baby Toby, which will be comic Toby but with footed red-and-white striped pajamas; Comic Sarah, with a ponytail, glasses, long-sleeved blue blouse, khaki slacks, and brown leather pumps; and Teen Sarah, which will use her movie costume of long hair, white floral barettes, long-sleeved white blouse with lavender vest, blue jeans, and sneakers. Pressing up or down on the D-Pad while highlighting the selected character will access the alternate appearances, which must be unlocked. Also, the appearance of the character you didn’t select will match the character you did. In other words, if you chose Comic Toby, Sarah will appear as Comic Sarah.

Cinema: Fade-in. Night. The Williams’ house is an upper-middle class two-story house in a green suburb. A white two-door sedan is seen pulling up in the driveway and Toby exits the passenger side while Sarah exits the driver’s side. Interior: The foyer of the Williams’ house is decorated with an expensive multicolored rug and a floral crystal chandelier. There is a portrait of Toby’s parents and a couple of mirrors on opposite sides of the area. Toby unlocks the front double doors and enters as Sarah follows. A large white and gray sheepdog bounds over to a smiling Sarah.

Sarah (is licked in the face by the dog as she kneels down to pet him): Pendragon, you old mutt! Good to see you too!

They continue to the right, heading to a kitchen with cherry cabinets, dark gray marble countertops, and cherry kitchen furniture. Appliances are stainless steel. Sarah starts searching the well-stocked refrigerator.

Sarah: Where’s Irene?

Toby (shrugs his shoulders, stares at the ceiling, his hands in his pockets): I dunno. They said they wouldn’t be back until after midnight. *glances at Sarah* Mom said not to pull out a bunch of stuff from the fridge, Sarah.

Sarah (stands up and glowers at Toby): Toby, Irene isn’t my mother. *turns back toward the fridge* C’mon, let your good old half-sister cook you up something nice. *pauses, surprised pleasantly* Ooh, salmon! *starts to take food out*

Toby (sighs, sits at the table, putting his head on it): I totally flunked algebra.

Sarah (smiles as she cooks): Don’t beat yourself up, kiddo. One “F” isn’t the end of the world. By the way, what happened?

The cinema stops briefly as two thought bubbles appear near a close-up of Toby’s head: one saying “I played computer games all night long” and one saying “Mr. Morrissey said I cheated.” At the bottom of the screen, a pop-up says “Highlight a choice with the D-Pad and press X to choose.”

Sarah (Game Choice, rolls her eyes and plops his food in front of him): You have to grow up, Toby. You can’t live in a little fantasy world forever.

Sarah (Teacher Choice, carefully hands him his food and puts an arm around his shoulders sympathetically): I know you wouldn’t do such a thing, Toby. Now eat your dinner. *smiles* It’s fit for a prince.

Toby (regardless of choice, sulks and plays with his food): Ha-ha … you’re soooo funny, sis. *looks up at her* And stop calling me “kiddo”!

The scene cuts to Sarah preparing to leave out the front door.

Sarah (opening the door, looks back at Toby): Don’t forget your history paper. It’s due tomorrow. You’re a special kid, kiddo. Never forget that.

Toby (rolls his eyes, nodding): Yeah, yeah … I’m the great hero, I know. I won’t forget the paper either. I’m almost done with it, actually.

Sarah (smiles): Great! See? Things are gonna look up yet! *closes door*

Toby (puts his back on the front door and slides down, worried): I haven’t even started! *hangs head in shame*

End cinema, fade-out.

Now the player can control Toby. Both upstairs and downstairs can be investigated, or Toby can head for his room upstairs, which is marked “Toby’s Dungeon” in red. Skipping all the exploration will influence various aspects of the game, including the ending.

Downstairs-Kitchen: A note on the fridge door reads “Toby, your father and I will be out late. Don’t even THINK about using the food in here to eat unless you intend to get a job and pay for groceries. If you MUST eat, there’s some leftover soup. – Irene”. Toby (examining the dishwasher): Sarah takes such good care of me. I wished she still lived here. Toby (examining a rather large and unusual drop of water hanging from the ceiling in the back of the kitchen): Dang. Dad needs to call the plumber, stat.

Downstairs-Living Room: It is immaculate and filled with pictures, books, and knickknacks on various shelves and tables. Toby (examining some bookshelves): I wonder if Dad still has that book about American naval battles around here somewhere. Toby (examining a wedding photo above the fireplace): Mom and Dad sure like to party. Such a pity they’re not good at anything else. Toby (examining a DVD player by the large television set): Like I want to watch 3-year-old me dancing to stupid kid’s music. Toby (examining a phone, picking it up and dialing): Mom? Dad? *shrugs and hangs up* Maybe they turned their phones off.

Upstairs-Parents’ Room: It is the first door on the left after walking up the stairs on the left side of the living room. It is stark with white walls and black bed linens, and a black wooden armoire next to the Master Bathroom, which is similar decorated starkly, though with lots of bottles and grooming equipment on the counter. The shower in the Master Bathroom has multiple jets. A card on the small metal nightstand by the bed reads “Dear Robert, You make me so happy. – Irene”. Toby (examining the door that leads out to a balcony): I wonder why Mom always keeps that door locked. Toby (examining his parents’ bed): Man, if I doze off here, I’ll never get my paper done. Better head down the hall to my room. Toby (examining the stuff on the bathroom counter): I wonder if it takes Mom all day to put on all that makeup. Who is she trying to kid?

Upstairs-Bathroom: First door on the right. It is simpler than the Master Bathroom, but with similar appliances. The shower is a shower-tub combo with a red-and-white-striped curtain hanging from a rod. Toby (staring at the toilet): C’mon, Toby, get it together. Sarah’s cooking isn’t that bad. Toby (examining the bathroom mirror): I really need to sleep more and play less.

Upstairs-Toby’s Room: Where Sarah’s used to be, last door on the left. Toby’s room is filled with shelves with various fantasy and sci-fi action figures and vehicles. To the left of the front door is a computer desk with piles of papers, pencils, and a desktop computer. His bed is unkempt and has a Gobo plush doll on a pillow and there are clothes hanging on the closet’s doorknobs.

Cinema: When Toby first enters his room, the point of view changes to behind grated closet doors, peering out at Toby as he enters. The player hears nervous breathing. The camera then pans up to the ceiling across the room, where a large and unusual drop of water is hanging. Cut to Toby sitting in his desk chair and booting up his computer.

A close-up of Toby’s worried face appears with two thought bubbles nearby: “I got to level up or I’ll never beat the Goblin King” and “Studying sucks, but I gotta do what I gotta do”.

Game Choice: Toby plays The Kingdom of Goblins briefly before his character dies and he bangs his head on the desk in frustration. The player will soon regain control and can explore some more. An 8-bit Kingdom of Goblins (loosely based on a Nintendo version of Labyrinth) mini-game will be unlocked.

Study Choice: Toby stares at the monitor for a few moments before typing the title, “The War of 1812: The Water Was Important”.

Toby (sighing): I should play with the font more to make it more exciting. *He changes the font to Labyrinth font and increases the size to nearly half the page.* *smirks* Now, there’s half a page. Only two and a half more and I’m done. Easy! *types furiously, stands up and cheers* Yes! *hits the Print command and hears the paper printing* Sweet! And I still have time to catch some Z’s, too! *looks over at an empty printer, gasping in horror* NO! *hurriedly searches the area* I know you printed, dang it!

A small shadowy figure, with several papers crinkling in its arms, dashes around the room as Toby screams and chases it, only for it to slam the closet door in his face.

Toby (opens the closet door and spies a small tunnel in the back of the closet, kneels down, stares at it quizzically): What the --? Where the heck did this come from? *begins to crawl through as the opening first few bars of the Fraggle Rock theme song plays*

End cinema and fade-out.

Cinema: Fade-in. An ornate snowy castle hallway interior with ice sculptures and waterfalls coming out of holes high in the walls to white marble pools below. A large drip drops from the ceiling into a small mechanized creature, who lets the drop fall into his hollow head and then walks down the hall to a huge throne room. It passes a thin woman with long black pigtails and a scar on her left eye as she reads a book and a white cloud with a smiling face hovers over her. It passes an obese woman with short black pigtails, black lipstick, and dark freckles on her chubby face, who stares hungrily at the little mechanized creature, who fearfully runs to the spiky throne, as though the edges were waves breaking away from the icy white queen with long white hair and a water drop tattoo on her chin as she sits on the throne. Thin white silk drapes surround the throne on the left and right sides.

Queen (motions toward the creature, summoning the water from its head and hovers it in front of her face, smiling): So, Jareth has made his move. Esker!

Esker (an athletic man in a short-sleeved black one-piece outfit with white wraparound skirt and a golden belt with an eye-shaped buckle appears, his bare arms tattooed heavily, his face skull-like with his mouth sewn shut, speaking telepathically): Yes, mildady?

Queen (smiling with a dark expression): Follow Toby. Make sure the Goblin King does not contact him.

Esker (bows): Yes, milady.

End cinema, fade-out.

Edit:

Sorry I didn't put this up originally, but it just now occurred to me...
In Toby's room, aside from the Gobo plush I added, his shelves should be stocked with Storyteller and Farscape figurines. In the comic, he has stuff that looks like Star Wars figures, lazily drawn to avoid lawsuits, LOL. However, I don't see the point in putting in those when the Henson Company did fantasy and sci-fi stuff too.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
STONE MAZE

Note: The Stone Maze is a set of seven square areas, two rows of three squares and one square on the bottom left in the first column. For ease of readability, from left to right, the top row is 5, 6, 7; the middle row is 2, 3, 4; and the bottom left square is 1. Each square has an entrance or exit to underground tunnels or both. Two puzzle doors are available, which if you take the wrong door, will warp you to one of two square mazes that can only be exited via the tunnels and will have more obstacles and enemy encounters. This will also start important conversations with characters you meet. While you could mix and match positive and negative responses, I will write it with all positive interactions first and then with all negative interactions. There will be a total of five responses and you will need four out of five one way or the other to count as one way or the other. Positive interactions will provide both help and positive scenery changes. Negative interactions will hinder you and leave the scenery as is. [/end note]

Cinema: Toby crawls out of a large pipe coming out of the base of a hill. If one looks up at the hill, one will see the old tree where Jareth talked to Teen Sarah at the beginning of her journey in the movie. Instead of night, it is just after dawn in the Goblin Kingdom. The brick wall stretches left to right across the screen seemingly forever. Despite this being a high-end console game, the wall and its environs are 16-bit, as if it were on the Super Nintendo instead. The music is 16-bit as well, and evokes as best it can a sense of wonder. Toby, still appearing in high-resolution, as will all characters, looks around in shock. He stares at the wall and walks around, falling into a small square pool. This is the pool that Hoggle relieved himself in during the movie.

Toby (looks at himself in disgust and sniffs): Nice.

He looks up to find a small yeti (think Ludo), which is knee-high to Toby, staring at him obliviously. It’s clear there isn’t a lot of brainpower driving the small creature.

Positive Conversation:
Toby (smiles): Well, aren’t you the cutest little thing?

Yeti (smiles, his little stub of a tail wagging)

Toby: What’s your name?

Yeti (quizzically): Arrooo?

Toby (quizzically): Your name is “Aroo?” That’s, uh, that’s a great name! *chuckles*

Yeti (happily sniffs around the pool)

Toby (climbs out): You wouldn’t know where to find a towel, would you?

Yeti (stares quizzically, then nods briefly and heads left of the pool as Toby follows, where the creature drags a beige rectangle toward him from a brick pile)

Toby (stands there quizzically): Oh, is it a towel? *Yeti nods* Thanks, Aroo. *bends down and uses the towel to dry off*

Character influence: The creature will now sniff out objects and weapons for you.
Scenery influence: Secret passages will be easier to see, with ivy framing openings like in the movie.

Negative Conversation:
Toby (frowns): What are you smiling about, furball?

Yeti (smiles, his little stub of a tail wagging)

Toby: I said get lost!

Yeti (quizzically): Arrooo?

Toby (splashes it with water angrily): It’s bad enough I’m in this stupid pool! You want me to smell like wet deformed dog, too?

Yeti (happily sniffs around the pool)

Toby (growls): My dog stares at walls and even he’s brighter than you.

Yeti (stands up on its hind feet and urinates on Toby)

Toby (jumps out of the pool, disgusted): Ewwww! Gross! Stupid … thing!

Yeti (trots off to the left obliviously while Toby sighs and follows it)

Character Influence: The creature will now hide objects and weapons.
Scenery Influence: Secret Passages will not have ivy or other identifying marks.

Regardless of the outcome, Toby follows the furry creature for a few yards.

Toby (looks up at the wall): I don’t get it. There aren’t any gates or doors or anything. How the heck are you supposed to get past? *jumps back, holding his left leg* OW!

Toby looks down to see a small humanoid, roughly six inches tall, with one small spike coming out of each shoulder blade and shoulder-length silver-white hair. She is wearing a miniskirt, typical fairy boots, gloves that reach up to the middle of her upper arms, and a skimpy bra held together with several straps over her shoulders and around her waist and chest. She’s holding a spear. He picks her up and examines her.

Positive Conversation:
Fairy (struggling): Unhand me, you vile goblin! *looks down at the curious Yeti* Stank! Help me!

Toby: Why don’t you tell me why you stabbed me?

Fairy: You ugly goblin trash ripped off my wings!

Toby (sighs): First of all, I’m not a goblin. *nods towards the wall* Second, I’m just trying to get past that wall.

Fairy (stops struggling as Toby puts her down): What did the goblins do to you? Rip off your wings too? *Toby stares at her quizzically and she shakes her head and shrugs* Oh, yeah. You wouldn’t have wings. You’re a boy.

Toby (bends down): My name’s Toby.

Fairy (looks away): Hana. I used to have the most lovely wings. I once helped out an elderly goblin couple make shoes because they were too poor to have much inventory. Once they started raking it in, I asked for my cut.

Toby: Go on.

Hana (nods, hugs herself): They left me a pair of boots with a thank-you note. *angrily* Can you believe the cheap, greedy jerks? *shrugs* So, I took my cut of their profits. The goblins caught me and plucked my wings and banished me from the Labyrinth.

Toby (stands up): Wow. That’s terrible. Why don’t you come along and help me find the goblin that took my history paper? I’ll help you look for your wings.

Hana (shocked): You … you will? Uh, well … just head up to the wall. There should be a way in somehow. Just make sure you pick a side. Goblins want to know you’re on their side or you’ll never get very far. *hops on Stank’s back*

Character influence: Hana will point out which way the exit to each maze square is.
Scenery influence: Fairies will be found tending flowers throughout the Labyrinth and Goblin City.

Negative Conversation:
Fairy (struggling): Unhand me, you vile goblin! *looks down at the curious Yeti* Stank! Help me!

Toby (disgusted): My sister always told me fairies were nasty little things. I never thought they were real, though.

Fairy: Lemme go or I’ll stab your other foot!

Toby (flings her over his shoulder)

Fairy (lands and groans as she stands up and dusts herself off): What more could you do to me, Goblin? Poison me?

Toby: Look, I’m Toby and I don’t know where you got the idea I’m a goblin, but I’m looking for a real goblin.

Fairy (crosses her arms): Did they rip off your wings, too? *snaps* Oh, right – you’re a boy. You’re wingless and brainless.

Toby (turns his back on her): It’s none of your business, but the little creep stole my history paper. I gotta find him or I’ll flunk this class, too.

Fairy: You’re just like that stupid elderly goblin couple that swindled me out of my pay and got my wings torn off! You’re selfish and brutish, just like those scaly, leather-headed goblins! I’m coming with you, and you’re getting me my wings back. No one insults Hana and just walks away.

Toby (shrugs): Just don’t do me any favors.

Hana (hops on Stank’s back): Oh, believe me … you’re gonna earn your keep, Bog-breath!

Character influence: Hana will lie about dangers ahead.
Scenery influence: Fairies will not be present in the Labyrinth or Goblin City.

Regardless of the outcome, Toby, Hana, and Stank approach the wall.

Toby (if you achieved There’s No Place Like Home): I just wish I could get on the other side so I can get my paper and go home. *they are teleported to the other side of the wall*

Toby (if you achieved Home Life Sucks): I’ve always wondered what it’d be like to have my own fantasy adventure. *touches the wall and all are teleported to the other side*

TO BE CONTINUED…

RedPiggy

Reaction score
STONE MAZE, CONTINUED

Maze 1

Toby, Hana, and Stank appear on the east side of the maze, halfway between a wall to the north and a border wall to the south. They are facing the northern wall in a narrow vertical pathway. The path north of their position zig-zags northwest, with a small courtyard in the path, ending in a trapdoor that leads to a short diagonal tunnel ending in Maze 2. To the south the player hits the southern border wall and turns right. One can double back against the vertical wall to the north or head west to a T-shaped area, the right end of which has a southern nook hidden by vines if Stank likes you or without vines if Stank dislikes you. This walkthrough will focus on the route out of Maze 1. Though there will be no map available for the first act of the game, here is the set up so one can see where the alternate paths are.

Items to be found in this maze:
Broken pipe (for fighting)
Crystal ball (Williams’ House cinemas for making music videos)
Crystal ball (Concept Art – character designs)
Boots (found in pots – Use in Goblin City to bribe goblins, who eat them)

Aside from Hana saying things like “Turn left”, “Go straight”, etc, there will an in-game conversation that depends on which trophy you earned in the Williams’ House, which will access roughly halfway along the correct route.

No Place Like Home:

Hana (riding on Stank’s back): So, what’s the name of the goblin you’re looking for?

Toby (irritated): I don’t care what its name is. I just need my stupid paper so I can get my stupid F and live my stupid life.

Hana: So, what you’re saying is, you found yourself in a magical, mystical land that will do wonders for your attitude, but you’d rather stay at the home you can’t stand?

Toby (exasperated): Do I ask you how to live your life? My life may not be great, but it’s all I got. I don’t wanna be stuck in some 16-bit cartoon.

Hana: What are you talking about?

Toby: This stupid maze! It’s like a cartoon!

Hana: What kinda mungus roots do you smoke, kiddo?

Home Life Sucks:

Hana (riding on Stank’s back): So, what’s the goblin who took your paper look like?

Toby: I dunno. He got away before I could ask for his identification.

Hana: I could’ve lived without the sarcasm.

Toby (chuckles): Sorry. I just – I just can’t believe this is happening to me!

Hana: You and me both.

Toby: My sister used to tell me all these awesome stories about all sorts of magical worlds. Now I’m actually in one! This is soooo awesome.

Hana (sarcastically): Oh, yeah, a laugh a minute.

Toby: But why does this place look like a cartoon?

Hana: Huh? What kinda mungus roots are you smoking, Toby?

In the northwest corner is a hole in the ground with a ladder leading down to a short diagonal tunnel that leads to maze 2. It is necessary to use this to get to maze 2 should you not please the major character found here.

Just as the large door leading to maze 2 on the norther border can be seen, they notice a large boulder sitting in front of the door. If you have the broken pipe, by now, you can’t break the boulder with it. You can choose to enter the tunnel I mentioned earlier, but if you avoid this character interaction or create a negative interaction, there will be boulder obstacles throughout the Stone Maze.

There is a secret room just across from the door where one can find an item. Just west of the secret room is a path to the right. Follow it until you reach a large courtyard similar in appearance to the courtyard where Sarah met the Wiseman in the movie, with a stone chair, large topiaries, and large pots. A very large Yeti is staring at a wall, lost in thought.

Positive Conversation:
Toby: Uh, excuse me, sir?

Hana: Wow. He’s huge.

Large Yeti (turns around and scratches head): Wha --?

Toby: Can you tell us how to get to the goblin that stole my homework?

Large Yeti (scratches head again, looks around): Uh … uh … no. *sighs*

Toby: That’s okay. Would you mind helping us with something else? There’s this boulder and, well, you’re a big guy … can you help us move it?

Large Yeti (nods): Like rocks. Rocks friends. *howls and leaves*

Character influence: No boulder obstacles will appear.
Scenery influence: Stone engravings showing moments from Sarah’s time in the stone maze in the movie will appear on certain walls in secret rooms.

Negative Conversation:
Toby: Yo! Over here, lummox!

Hana: You’re such a jerk. Are you sure you’re not a goblin?

Large Yeti (turns around and scratches head): Wha --?

Toby: You see a little green turd running around here?

Large Yeti (scratches head again, looks around): Uh … uh … no. *sighs*

Toby: I might as well be talking to a carpet. Why doncha go do something useful and get that big rock out of the way over by the door?

Large Yeti (shakes head): Rocks friends. Rocks stay. *leaves*

Character influence: Boulder obstacles will appear.
Scenery influence: False images of Toby getting into danger will appear on certain walls in secret rooms.

Regardless of the interaction, Toby, Hana, and Stank turn around and head toward the door. However, before they reach the door, Jareth is seen to be standing next to the wall. He is dressed in brown leather coat and not-too-tight pants (he’s not trying to impress Sarah, after all, LOL). He has an arrogant smirk on his face.

Cinema:

Toby (cautiously walks up to Jareth): Aren’t you my guidance counselor?

Jareth (nods): Of sorts.

Toby (sighs and rolls his eyes): We’ve already had this discussion. I didn’t cheat on that test.

Jareth: I know you didn’t. However, you wanted to. You’ll get anything you want, won’t you?

Toby (angrily): What the heck does that mean?

Jareth (suddenly angry, approaching Toby): Everything you have wanted has been given to you. That bike when you were nine?

Toby (looks away, sulking): Mom really let me have it. She believed I stole it.

Jareth: You ungrateful little snot! I have given you EVERYTHING!

Toby (glares at him): You had my history paper stolen, didn’t you? This cartoon crap is all YOU, right?

Jareth (puzzled): “Cartoon”? Can it be …? *laughs, applauding* You’re just like your sister! She viewed this kingdom like set pieces in a theater. The Labyrinth responds to the hearts of those in it. Your sister was never very good at seeing what was right in front of her either.

Toby: You don’t know anything about my sister.

Jareth (frowns, curtly): No. I suppose not. *waves his hand and a crystal ball appears* I’m not in the mood to play games with you, Toby. *tosses him the crystal ball* They help you see what needs to be seen.

Toby, in close-up, looks at crystal ball, then back at Jareth, only to have the camera pull back and reveal Jareth has disappeared. Also, the stone maze is now realistic, seemingly stretching for miles in every direction. If the boulder is still there, Toby walks past the door. If the boulder is gone, Toby goes through the door.

End cinema.

If the boulder was still there, Toby must find the entrance to the underground tunnel and use it to enter Maze 2.

TO BE CONTINUED …

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Maze 2

Items to be found:
Crystal Ball (Concept Art – Scenery)
Boots (in jars)
New Pipe (for fighting, is slightly stronger than Broken Pipe)
Diamond Ring (for use in a later conversation)

If you went through the door to Maze 2, you will find yourself on the southern border of this maze. If you used the tunnel to bypass the boulder, you will come out at the end of a short path nearly facing the door. However, there is a wall separating you from where the door was, so the main path to reach the end of this maze is on the left side of the maze if you used the door, but the right side of the maze if you used the tunnel. In the center of the maze is a large open square with jars. This maze introduces the concept of fighting. In the open square is a group of ten topiaries shaped like soldiers.

Elsewhere in the maze, another conversation takes place, again about halfway to the doors on the northern border.

There’s No Place Like Home:

Toby: Where is that stupid goblin? And I’m gonna tear Jareth a new one for putting me through all this.

Hana: Well, unless the military ones are on patrol, most goblins just hang out in Goblin City. It’s past the Hedge Maze.

Toby: Isn’t there a faster way?

Hana: Now that you’ve threatened the almighty Goblin King? HA! Not a chance! He’ll have this whole place turn against you.

Home Life Sucks:

Toby: So, the goblin that took my paper is basically just Jareth’s puppet?

Hana: That’s kind of a rude way to put it. But, really, goblins have next to no initiative. He’s probably doing them a favor by micromanaging.

Toby: You know – I’m kinda amazed we haven’t run into anything hostile. *pause, teasingly* Except you and Jareth. *chuckles*

Hana: Oh, the Labyrinth can be a very deadly place, don’t you worry. Just keep your guard up.

If you enter the open square with the pots and the soldier topiaries, a small in-game conversation comes up.

Toby: There sure are a lot of these tree things around.

Stank (stops and refuses to budge)

Hana: Stank! C’mon, we got to get a move on, ya hunk of fur!

*as the topiaries come to life one by one*

Hana: Toby, look out!

In all battle sequences, the enemies can be fought physically or environmentally. The pipe, if you have it, should take care of each enemy in five hits with the New Pipe or seven hits with the Broken Pipe. Otherwise, if you try to run out of the square from where you entered, they will simply follow you and take any shortcuts available to head you off. There is, at the northeast corner of the open square, a path that leads to a dead-end, which contains a column of spikes. A command option will appear when you go through the path with a topiary after you. Press square upon the appearance of the command option and the spikes will shoot out, ensnaring the topiary soldier, causing it to disintegrate and the spikes will return to their original place. Continue luring the topiary soldiers to this spot to defeat them all. You will find a health bar appear at the top of the screen. You will also notice that you cannot be damaged at this point in the game, for Jareth took the time to get you here – what would be the point in killing you? Only after a major event to be specified later will you actually take damage when battling. Also, enemies cannot go through secret passages if they lead to a dead-end (like a secret room or short dead-end path). This allows you to hide and get your health restored (when it’s available) or plan a strategy. However, should you try to use this rationale to avoid combat and go straight to Maze 5, you’ll find you can’t. The door leading to Maze 5 cannot be opened until the soldier topiaries are defeated once activated. Also, in the center of the open square is a Diamond Ring. This could help out later.

Though there is an opening to the tunnel found in this maze, the one that connects maze 1 and 2, exits have a grate on them so you can’t go back the other way. If there are boulder obstacles, this means you can’t return to Maze 1 at all. This should encourage you to explore a maze before heading to the exit. Unlike the movie, you aren’t timed, so there’s no real rush.

In the middle of the northern border is the first puzzle door. Going through the correct door will take you to Maze 5, which is where you want to go. Going through the incorrect door will not result in instant death (after all, Jareth doesn’t really intend to kill you at this point), though you will end up in Maze 3, which can only be exited via tunnel. Going through the incorrect door also means enemies will be more numerous and stronger. So, if you’re trying to earn trophies for defeating lots of enemies, it may be more worthwhile to pick the incorrect door on purpose.

This is sort of a cheat, but if you really, really pay attention to the movie, you’ll realize that the 2-door solution consists of a pun. Sarah had to go the quote-unquote “right” way. Thus, each time she gets to a door, she has to go through the literal right one. So, if you really suck at puzzles and riddles, just keep that observation in mind. This is in keeping with the goblin love of puns and literal jokes.

Anyway, if you really care, here is the puzzle for this door:

Cinema:
Each door is guarded by a goblin, which just happen to look like Alph and Ralph from the movie (the top halves, anyway). Toby approaches them, and Hana rolls her eyes and scoffs.

Left goblin: Having a nice time?

Toby: I … I guess.

Right goblin: No, no – you’re supposed to guess after we give you the rules.

Toby: The rules?

Hana (scoffs): This is one of those pathetic goblin puzzles. You have to put up with this nonsense every once in awhile.

Toby (shrugs): Okay, whatever. What are the rules?

Left goblin (gets out a note from behind): Okay, here we go: “Square plus circle equals X.” *puts up note* There you have it. Now you have to guess.

Toby: Guess what?

Right goblin (confers in whispers with left goblin): I think we were supposed to ask a question, too.

Left goblin: Oh! *laughs, looks at note again* I don’t have a question.

Right goblin (takes out a note): I do! Ahem … “What does X minus circle equal?” *puts away note and looks at Toby* I think you get to guess now.

Left goblin: But shapes don’t count, only numbers.

Right goblin (shrugs): But I don’t know any. *laughs* So, what is it, boy?

A triangle appears over the head of the left goblin. A square appears over the head of the right goblin. Press the corresponding button on the controller and the goblin will step out of your way and allow you to enter.

End cinema.

For the purposes of this walkthrough, I will assume you took the incorrect door and continue with Maze 3. Maze 5 will follow Maze 3’s walkthrough.

TO BE CONTINUED ….

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yay. Needed some of RedPiggy's brand of fanfic after an awesometastic other one at Fanfic.net blew me away. Thank you for sharing... More please?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Woo-hoo! I was wondering if this was ever going to be reviewed, LOL.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... There are times when I enjoy the continuity of uninterrupted updated fics, like this or Tony's Da Phantom for example. But yeah, I rully do like it and need more when you can post it please.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Due to my schedule being what it is, trying to care for the dogs, studying, and working on these fics, I'm thinking I'll alternate Spring Forward with this. Besides, it just occurred to me that I'm close to the end of the stone maze and I haven't drawn up the Hedge maze yet, LOL.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Maze 3

Congratulations. You’re either here because you did it on purpose or you lack basic math skills, LOL. Again, this is one of two mazes meant to increase the danger for you. You will appear, magically, at the southern border at the midway point, more or less. The only exit is an entrance to a tunnel in the northest corner, accessible through a secret walkway. This exit leads to several different areas. Just a short distance straight ahead in the tunnel will lead you up to midway along the western border of Maze 4, which is another maze that is quote-unquote “wrong” and has more dangers, which you would probably care about more once you get the ability to be hurt, of course. The tunnel, though, continues up and right and ends at another tunnel entrance, though that would put you in the northeast corner of Maze 4. Midway through this tunnel is a tunnel that runs north. The midpoint of this curves around an oubliette, the only one in the Stone Maze. You can’t enter it as there is a door that is locked. Anyway, keep going north and go left along another diagonal path. The entrance at the left end of the tunnel will put you at the northwestern corner of Maze 7, which happens to be the last maze of this area. The right end of the tunnel will exit at the southeastern corner. While this seems a boon, you’ll definitely skip an important character interaction. Of course, the doors leading to Maze 6 and 5 aren’t puzzle doors, so getting back there is relatively easy.

Anyway, back to this maze:

Items Found:

Crystal Ball (concept art – character designs)
Pipe x 2

It may seem at first that you can’t progress past a certain point not too far away from the entry door, but the end results in a secret passage. In fact, you must enter another secret passage to progress after that. You notice as you progress that there are pipes along some of the walls, even going through some of the walls. Eventually you’ll reach some pipes with some segments missing. A short cinema follows.

Stank stops and looks up at the pipes curiously, then starts panting happily.

Hana (putting her hand over her mouth in disgust): Of course you’d like that awful smell!

Toby (putting his hand over his mouth in disgust): What is it?

Hana (shudders): Past the hedge maze is this place called the Bog of Eternal Stench. The whole place is a definite conversation-killer. I know you have issues with going home, but if you ever want to interact with another sentient being other than Stank here, I suggest you steer clear of that place. It’s only for the agoraphobic, anti-social types.

Toby (if he has at least one pipe, pulls it out): I wonder if this fits.

Toby (if he has no pipe at all): I wonder if there are some pipes that we can put there.

Hana (regardless): What good would that do?

Toby (shrugs): At least the smell would be contained in the pipes.

Hana (nods): Good point.

End cinema.

On the way to exit tunnel, it is obligatory to enter an open area where an army of twenty topiary soldiers, who, of course, immediately go after you. You can try to fight, but since you’ve entered a more dangerous area, they will now gang up on you, block exits, and otherwise cause you trouble. While you can’t get hurt yet, they can go after Hana and Stank. If it gets too bad, they will flee. If they do so, you won’t see them again until the hedge maze, since you don’t care enough about your new friends to protect them from harm.

The topiary soldiers will also take twice as many hits to defeat now, as will all future enemies within the Labyrinth. However, if you use pipes on the broken segments, the bog gas will be able to reach a nearby wall-mounted furnace, which will spew flames. Obviously, the topiary soldiers won’t last too long on fire. If you’ve bothered to collect all the pipes so far, you should have four. However, the broken one will be destroyed after about 20 seconds, making it useless, including the furnace it powered. The other ones will keep the furnaces on until you remove the pipes if you want to, though when you’re able to be hurt, you risk getting burned by removing them. Throughout the game, some items will prove to have multiple uses, just as character interactions influences your difficulty getting through the game and the scenery. This walkthrough will continue to Maze 5 soon.