Return to Oz

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I LOOVED how they made all the characters a bit more like John R. Neill's illustrations from the books! I've been wishing they could do a series using those characters.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Journey Back to Oz

I'm glad others remember this! It was an animated movie that used to air on TV years ago & was actually pretty good. It did indeed have a few good songs that I remember, and Liza Minelli was able to do a very good "Judy-Garland-like" Dorothy voice! (Liza is, of course, Judy's daughter). I'd enjoy seeing this one again someday.

Xerus

Reaction score
I'm glad others remember this! It was an animated movie that used to air on TV years ago & was actually pretty good. It did indeed have a few good songs that I remember, and Liza Minelli was able to do a very good "Judy-Garland-like" Dorothy voice! (Liza is, of course, Judy's daughter). I'd enjoy seeing this one again someday.
I have Journey Back to Oz on video.

The amazing cast of this movie were....

Milton Berle as the Cowardly Lion
Herschel Bernardi as Woodenhead
Paul Ford as Uncle Henry
Margaret Hamilton (who played the original Wicked Witch) as Aunt Em
Jack E. Leonard as the Signpost
Paul Lynde as Pumpkinhead
Ethel Merman as Mombi the Witch
Liza Minnelli as Dorothy
Mickey Rooney as the Scarecrow
Rise Stevens as Glinda
Danny Thomas as the Tin Man
Mel Blanc as the crow
Dal McKennon as Omby Amby
Larry Storch as Amos

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I have Journey Back to Oz on video.

The amazing cast of this movie were....

Milton Berle as the Cowardly Lion
Herschel Bernardi as Woodenhead
Paul Ford as Uncle Henry
Jack E. Leonard as the Signpost
Paul Lynde as Pumpkinhead
Ethel Merman as Mombi the Witch
Liza Minnelli as Dorothy
Mickey Rooney as the Scarecrow
Rise Stevens as Glinda
Danny Thomas as the Tin Man
Mel Blanc as the crow
Dal McKennon as Omby Amby
Larry Storch as Amos
Yes! These were the voices on my LP. But I've yet to see the actual show, which is surprising, because I used to keep a sharp eye on anything Oz. Maybe it wasn't shown too much where I lived??

lael

Reaction score
"I have absolutly no regrets"
~Margret Hamilton, on playing The Wicked Witch Of The West in The Wizard Of Oz.

sesameguy

Reaction score
The amazing cast of this movie were.

That is so cool! I didn't know she returned to an "Oz" role later on.

Does anybody remember when Margaret Hamilton appeared on "Mister Rogers?" She appeared in a few episodes, once as herself talking with Mr. Rogers and once as a witch in make-believe - albeit a much friendlier witch than the Wicked Witch of the West!

In an Oz documentary, there is a clip of Ray Bolger (the Scarecrow) talking about the film & he says something to the effect of: "Even though we never got residuals (extra payments), we got something better, which is a kind of immortality." I think Margaret Hamilton would agree.

Kar Ma

Reaction score
I had no idea Journey Back to Oz even existed! Thanx. I'm gonna look that up and rent it.

I just have to say. In Return to Oz I was genuinely freaked, and still am, by the Wheelers. I had nightmares of the Wheelers after I saw that film. Despite that I loved it. Pumpkinhead and Mombi were the best. Go Brian! He is proof that great work and incredible creativity can be born out of the shadows (of a famous predecessor) and live to stand on their own.

anytimepally

Reaction score
It was kinda sad for Margaret Hamilton, though, because she'd been a Kindergarten teacher before acting and she loved children, but after The Wizard of Oz, they were afraid of her . . . Jim Backus (Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island) was one of her students, even!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
It was kinda sad for Margaret Hamilton, though, because she'd been a Kindergarten teacher before acting and she loved children, but after The Wizard of Oz, they were afraid of her . . . Jim Backus (Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island) was one of her students, even!
I knew Margaret Hamilton was a kindergarten teacher, but I had no idea Jim Backus was one of her students! Fascinating!

She was also a respected character actress, and worked alongside some of the greats. She was the perfect foil for W.C. Fields in My Little Chickadee.

Imawitchusay

Reaction score
I LOVE the Puppetry in this film! Especially Jack Pumpkinhead, with the voice of Brian Henson....way differant than the Hoggle voice.