Richard Hunt's Characters

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
When Richard Hunt passed away on January 7, 1992 a lot of his beloved charachters went with him. Over the years a few of them were brought back. The 2 headed Monster,(starting in the 1997-1998 season) Sully (for a few episodes) and Gladys (2003). Others we haven't seen since like Don Music (I don't believe that headbanging rumor for a second, Don was seen in street scenes right up until Richard's death, Forgetful Jones, and Placido Flamingo. I sometimes wonder what the show would be like today if Richard hadn't passed away. Or what it would have been like throughout the rest of the 90's if some of his charachters appeared in some episodes. I think Forgetful Jones would definetley still be around. He would probably have somewhat of a minor role like The Count, and Prarie Dawn have these days. But I can see him being there every once in a while as needed. I also think he would be good with Cookie Monster in a few letter of the day sketches. It's just a shame that they pulled the plug on these charachters back in 1992. Richard died at way too young of age, and him and his Sesame Street charachters should still be with us today. The show would be much better and more enjoyable. :boo:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
They also recast Sonny Friendly (David Rudman took over), but I don't know when he was first recast.

If Richard was still around, I think that Forgetful Jones would still be used. After all, he has appeared in the background of many specials made after Richard Hunts death. I don't think Sully would still be around unless Biff was still being used.

BEAR

Reaction score
Interesting suggestion. I think a lot of his characters would have been developed more and made into bigger roles on the show, or he would have been given new characters that would be seen more frequently on the street. He could have ended up playing a character like Baby Bear or another character that sort of fits that spot, who knows! I think that we would certainly see Gladys and Forgetful Jones more often. He might have a larger presence on the show in general. Remember that at the time he was working on Sesame Street, he was also heavily involved with The Muppet Show and films and Fraggle Rock. He had a lot of Muppet Show characters to perform. I will admit, things would be much different if Hunt was still with us. I don't know for sure what but wouldn't it be interesting to find out?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I was thinking about that the other day. After all, a lot of the newer characters (Zoe, Baby Bear, Rosita, etc.) were created after Richard's death I believe. It makes me wonder if they would have been created if we still had Don Music, Forgetful Jones, Sully and many other Hunt characters. A lot of them were used quite a bit in street scenes, so I wonder if the new characters were meant to sort of "replace" the Hunt characters who aren't around anymore.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I was thinking about that the other day. After all, a lot of the newer characters (Zoe, Baby Bear, Rosita, etc.) were created after Richard's death I believe. It makes me wonder if they would have been created if we still had Don Music, Forgetful Jones, Sully and many other Hunt characters. A lot of them were used quite a bit in street scenes, so I wonder if the new characters were meant to sort of "replace" the Hunt characters who aren't around anymore.
Its somewhat possible, but I think that they were created to be more like new blood. They were brought in to make things different and fresh. It needed it, especially with the loss of some characters. Zoe and Rosita's creation didn't have much to do with Richard though because they were created to have more principle female's to relate to. Plus, Rosita as the first bilingual Muppet is quite a groundbreaker for the show. All the newer characters are wonderful.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I would have loved to have seen Don Music and Placido Flamingo develop more and they probably would have if Richard Hunt was still around. They had some of the best songs like Mary Had a Bicycle and The Telephone Opera. I agree with Bear that Forgetful Jones and Gladys would definitly have bigger roles on the show. I believe the majority of his character had such unique personalities that gave them staying power even if not as main characters.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Rosita and Baby Bear were both introduced in 1991, a year before Richard Hunt died. I think that Baby Bear (along with Goldilocks) was also originally meant to be a one-shot character who just happened to become a regular.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Characters could still be seen in the background as a "nod" to the fans, but I don't think we'll see Don Music back again because of the aforementioned "rumor," however, Forgetful Jones was fun and funny, and I hope we see him come back one day.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
When I first watched Elmo Saves Christmas 9 years ago

I remember I bought a copy of Elmo Saves Christmas at my local drugstore back in October of 1996. I wasn't too crazy about Elmo or newer Sesame Street episodes (even at the time) But I wanted to see what this special was like. I was amazed near the beggining of the special when I saw Elmo and Mr. Handford out in front of Hooper's Store and he was giving Elmo a big plate of cookies for Santa, and to my surprize, Forgetful Jones passed by and shook a present and put it to his ear. I thought I was seeing things. I couldn't believe it. It had been 5 years since I had seen him (in any new material) and I thought for sure this meant the charachter would be coming back. Well needless to say he never did come back. I'm not sure if the writers were considering it at the time or not, but I just tell myself that Forgetful Jones just came back to visit Sesame Street for Christmas, and to see his old friends.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Its somewhat possible, but I think that they were created to be more like new blood. They were brought in to make things different and fresh. It needed it, especially with the loss of some characters. Zoe and Rosita's creation didn't have much to do with Richard though because they were created to have more principle female's to relate to. Plus, Rosita as the first bilingual Muppet is quite a groundbreaker for the show. All the newer characters are wonderful.
I think Rosita actually moved here from Plaza Sesamo. I wonder If he moved there was a transition episode of both shows, kind of like Blues Clues. I think I have herd forgetful Jones a few times after Richard Hunt's passing, but I an not sure who preformed hin