1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

RIP Adam West

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaky Pudding, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

I was very shocked and sad to hear that the original Batman, the mayor of Quahog, and Catman of the Fairly Oddparents passed away last night. I was blessed to be able to meet him once at Comic-Con and he was very nice to my mom and I. He even said a line from Family Guy to make me laugh after I told him about love of Family Guy. We didn't talk too long because obviously the line was pretty long, being a Comic-Con with the first Batman and all, but I was thankfully able to talk to and share a laugh with this legend before he passed on. I've never seen the old Batman show, but I absolutely love his appearances on Family Guy and Robot Chicken and when I was younger, I adored him on SpongeBob and The Fairly Oddparents. I wish the best for his family and my thoughts and prayers go out to them during this hard time. Even though I was never friends with him or anything, I honestly miss him myself. Let's all take a moment and discuss the impact Mr. West had on you below.

2. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

From The Big Bang Theory:

[​IMG]

3. Flaky Pudding

I forgot about that episode! That was awesome, :).

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I remember my first exposure to Adam West was when he was Adam Westing himself as Adam West on JOHNNY BRAVO:

Zappetman and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  5. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Sorry I couldn't get a larger picture, but that was the only size I could find on the site where the picture originally came from. :(

6. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I'll never forget those episodes of Fairly Odd Parents when he played himself/Catman. That was really my first exposure to him, and with him being a recurring character, it's kind of like a character from my childhood has died.
    I watched his Batman when I was about five, but rediscovered it about eleven years later when my little brother was five. He talks about Adam all the time, he's going to be really upset when I tell him. I love how Adam and the rest of the cast did so well at playing everything straight when everything around them was so silly and cheesy.

It was a real treat to get to hear Adam, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar reprise their roles in an animated version of the 60s show one last time, earlier this year. It's amazing how much they still sound like themselves after over 50 years.

RIP Adam.

7. Flaky Pudding

I grew up with FOP and I feel exactly the same way. I also felt like that when Ernest Borgnine passed away because of how I grew up with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, :(.

Pig's Laundry and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  8. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Many actors try not to typecast themselves, but Adam West took it in stride and made a career out of making fun of the fact that he was Batman, albeit not as Mayor West in Family Guy. He got to reprise the role along with Burt Ward in a DC animated movie that based itself off the '60s TV series, though we don't know if he finished the voice work for the sequel that may or may not come out. Also, I'm hoping we get to see CAPTAAAAAIN SUUUUUUPER CAPTAAAAAIN one last time in the final season of Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero.

Rest in peace, Adam We.

9. fragglevision

fragglevision Member

As some people were saying over on Toughpigs, it's so weird that he never worked with the Muppets. Unless you count the time that Kermit leaked info about Mayor We(st) on Family Guy. One of the Muppets' biggest missed opportunities, to be sure.

10. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I also was shocked & saddened to find out about Adam West's death. Granted I didn't watch "Batman" ,but the time slot on 4: 30 weekday afternoons in the 70s was either reserved for "Batman"- (my brother's favorite )or "Brady Bunch" (mine) Anyway...the world has lost a great man. Thank you Adam West for making little kids happy!!

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  11. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

RIP Mayor West :sympathy:

12. 1000 Eyes

1000 Eyes Well-Known Member

Lots of people say that Christian Bale is the best Batman. Not true. I love The Dark Knight and all, but nothing beats the 60s series.

RIP

MuppetsRule and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  13. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

The series was awesome, and I love how much they played it up for laughs.
    Two favorite memories:
    Often Batman and Robin would be seen climbing up the side of a building, defying gravity (actually, the camera was turned on its side, so they were actually walking on a stage floor, not clinging to the side of a building. No fear of falling, but I digress).
    They'd reach a window, and somebody famous would always poke their head out to see what was going on: Lurch from "The Addams Family", Dick Clark ("American Bandstand"), etc. Nice way to promote other ABC shows. Clever.

And the fake fights. Batman and Robin would catch up with the villains, at their hideouts, or at some swanky penthouse apartment. The fists would start flying
    "ZAP!" "POW! CRUNCH!" and all the furniture would get busted in the process.
    The dynamic duo would subdue the villains, but they caused a lot of collateral damage.

It was silly to the point of hysterics, but Adam West did it all with the straightest face.

14. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

I have read many wonderful anecdotes about Adam West in the past couple of days. Someone posted online that all the other actors who have played Batman should attend his funeral the way living Presidents do for one who has passed; I thought that was brilliant, and fitting for a man whose jovial smile and classy behavior has affected so many fans. RIP.

15. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

Anybody here ever see the original Batman movie with Adam West from 1966? They played on the silliness to the extreme and made fun of themselves in the movie. It is hilarious. Unlike the modern day Batman movies it was written as a comedy and I highly recommend checking it out.

16. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Another role he was known for was as Simon Trent, a.k.a. The Gray Ghost, one of Batman/Bruce Wayne's childhood heroes on Batman: The Animated Series. In "Beware the Gray Ghost", Simon Trent, who played the Gray Ghost, is unemployed and out of money, with Trent attempting to sell his memorabilia, only to have it returned. Eventually, G.G. puts on his costume and teams up with Batman, and in the end, Trent is hailed as a real-life hero, with the public becoming interested in the nearly-forgotten hero with his classic series being released on video and a renewed sense of purpose.

Now that Adam West has passed on, I wonder if Family Guy is going to retire Mayor West's character, and if they will find some other mayor to take his place....

17. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

You're in luck because CSC (and also Prof. Evil Prof.) appeared in the series finale, which shall be covered in the Penn Zero thread. Adam must have had his lines recorded beforehand. Let me tell you, the final episode is as epic as you'd expect it to be. If you haven't seen the entire second season, you've got some catching up to do.

18. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Holy tombstones! Hadn't heard about this, and here it is, almost two whole months after the fact. Meh, guess that's what happens when I don't watch much of TV anymore.

*Flashes the bat-signal into the sky as a tribute to that pointy-eared caped crusader.

MikaelaMuppet and 1000 Eyes like this.
  19. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

RIP MAYOR WEST

20. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I won't lie, like many, I was also upset when I found out West kicked the bucket.

Family Guy, Batman, and even that low-budget 80's flick Zombie Nightmare shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000 in 1994 (and West even hosted the Turkey Day '94 marathon in honor of the premiere of that episode) will never be the same.