1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

RIP Andy Griffith

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Princeton, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

2. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

One of the true legends of sitcoms. Rest in peace.
  3. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Andy will be truly missed. I am a huge fan of The Andy Griffith Show, and he really made a difference in television history. Rest in peace, Andy. :cry:
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

OMG... OMG... no, please no...

I'm actually tearing up as I write this: yes, Andy Griffith was a legend, but down here in the south, he was much more than that, he was an icon, his show is almost always on TV, whether it's local channels playing reruns, or the cable networks like TV Land (remember back in the 90s when TBS played it?)... Andy was always a part of my life, even from when I was a little kid growing up, and now that he's gone, I'm really, really saddened by this, because I feel like I just lost someone near and dear to me, even though I never knew him personally, he was still always there. I hope his legacy will continue to live on, the world needs more Andy Griffiths. :cry:
  5. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Very fitting that The Andy Griffith Show is on right now...I wonder if there's any chance that they'll put on a marathon of the show sometime soon...
  6. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Active Member

Aww That's Sad!! :cry:, Of All The Actors That Could Go To The Grave, Why Him?
  7. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

One of the last wholesome actors. He will truly be missed!

RIP Sheriff Taylor
  8. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

My first reaction was, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" *Sigh* I'm devastated. The Andy Griffith Show has always been a classic in my family; my parents made sure of that.
  9. TheWoodringman

TheWoodringman Active Member

Well, with Andy Griffith dead, you know what that means don't you?
    TELEVISION IS DEAD!
  10. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

The only good thing to come from this is to know that he's not really dead. He'll still live on in the show, which will be on TV for at least the next 50 years, and in our hearts. Even if it won't be on TV, it'll be on DVD, YouTube, etc. Andy may have been the main character, but he was actually one of the most generous people out there because there were rarely any 'Andy episodes' ones that generally focused on HIM as a main plot point. There were SOME, but most were about either Barney, Gomer, or other characters and how Andy interacted with them and solved the problem they were having. The man maybe gone but the character, the spirit, and the humor of the man will live on for generations to come. As long as there is an adult willing to sit with their kid and watch the Andy Griffith Show, or play them one of his comedy routines from the old days, Andy will live on. Thank you Andy Taylor for all the memories.

Daniel
    ZeppoAndFriends likes this.
  11. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I'll be honest I never liked his shows *please DO NOT flame at me for giving my opinion* but I understand he was a very good and gracious person. My grandmother was a fan though and watched his shows all the time. No matter how many times she may have seen them. The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock were the two she enjoyed the most. I guess she's finally meeting him. So many good people we have lost over the years. IMO just means their too good for this world.

RIP Andy we'll see you again someday.
  12. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

Whistling the theme to The Andy Griffith Show in his honor.

It is amazing that a show that old has held up so well over the years. Just as great today as it was back when it first aired. TV truly lost a legend today.

Rest in peace, Andy, and thanks for all the great memories.

13. D'Snowth

Well, let's be honest... if not a street like Sesame Street, we all would love to live in a town like Mayberry, wouldn't we?
    dwayne1115 and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  14. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

You know, now that I think about it, Andy and Kermit were kind of alike.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  15. D'Snowth

I don't get it... I left a comment on an article about his death, sharing my feelings of sadness over his passing, and how far back my memories of him and his Mayberry neighbors go back... and I get a bunch of thumbs down on it... what's with that? I said nothing negative or offense, so what did I possibly say that deserved thumbs down?
  16. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

They were really alike...I was reading somewhere that originally Andy was going to be like Lucy, always getting into odd predicaments and needing to get out of them, but they decided that wouldn't work, so instead they made the other characters get into the problems, so that he could come and fix them...you have basically the same thing with Kermit.

I'll betcha it's probably the people out there who think anything black-and-white is boring, and just want to thumb down everything because of how boring they think all his stuff was... :sigh:
  17. D'Snowth

Yeah, you can tell a difference in Andy's demeanor throughout the first season, and the following seasons of the show: throughout the first season, he's a lot more of a quirky character, with his country-fried retelling of stories (like telling Opie about Romeo and Juliet), or gently teasing Barney or Ellie about something, but afterwards, he's completely the straightman, or as they would say on TV Tropes, the Only Sane Man in Mayberry, while everyone else were the ones with the quirks, whether it was Barney's overzeal, or Otis's drunken stupor, or Gomer (and later Goober) being the simple-minded yet well-meaning bumpkin, or the nutty Ernest T. Bass, etc.

I understand that even though he was never credited as a writer, Andy pretty much mapped out every single episode of the show, or at least had a say-so in how the episode should play out and such... I remember one anecdote from Ron Howard about there was a line he supposed to say as Opie, but he felt it didn't seem like the right kind of line a seven-year-old would say, so Andy asked him what he thought the line should be; they used it, and he later told him how surprised he was that they actually used the line that he (a seven-year-old) suggested, to which Andy told him because, "It was the only one that was any **** good". :laugh:
  18. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Just some trolls who love to create negativity for the sake of it. :rolleyes:
  19. D'Snowth

In spite of how great the show was, there was always ONE little aspect that actually annoyed me: Ellie May Walker.

I'm glad she wasn't on the show for the whole run, because she could be really annoying at times... in fact, just about all of her episodes were the same: she an Andy are involved in something, Andy says something he thinks is funny to joke with her, she takes offense to his comment acting like he's sexist and storms off in a huff, then Andy spends the rest of the episode trying to make sense of her reaction, while other characters try to bring them back together. I do remember reading Andy had her written off of the show because he felt they really had no believable chemistry, I agree.
  20. LinkiePie<3

LinkiePie<3 Well-Known Member

RIP, Sheriff. <3