RIP Ray Manzarek (1939-2013)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Who's Ray Manzarek, might Collgoff ask?
Let me fill you in...

Once upon a time there was a rock group called The Doors, and if you ever heard "Light My Fire" on the radio, you'll recognize Ray's keyboard riffs that gave the band their first #1.

While lead singer Jim Morrison was busy getting arrested/drunk/passing out on stage, Ray held the band together with his hypnotic, droning Vox organ, creating a trance-like state for the listeners to fall into.
Aside from his music, Ray also made a number of experimental films. He was aware of Jim Henson's "Time Piece", and had he not gone on to rock superstardom, would've carved out a nice career making films like that.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
He was really good at setting moods with his organ that matched the song. He could do dark ("The Unknown Soldier", "Five To One"), mysterious ("Light My Fire", "Riders On The Storm"), or he could do upbeat ("Hello I Love You, "People Are Strange"). Excellent musician.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Let me fill you in...

Once upon a time there was a rock group called The Doors, and if you ever heard "Light My Fire" on the radio, you'll recognize Ray's keyboard riffs that gave the band their first #1.

While lead singer Jim Morrison was busy getting arrested/drunk/passing out on stage, Ray held the band together with his hypnotic, droning Vox organ, creating a trance-like state for the listeners to fall into.
Aside from his music, Ray also made a number of experimental films. He was aware of Jim Henson's "Time Piece", and had he not gone on to rock superstardom, would've carved out a nice career making films like that.
Well thanks for answering Collgoff's answer because I didn't know. Wow...he had some mad key board skills in "Light My Fire" . R.I.P Mr Manzarek:sympathy:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Well thanks for answering Collgoff's answer because I didn't know. Wow...he had some mad key board skills in "Light My Fire" . R.I.P Mr Manzarek:sympathy:
I always respected his music while Jim Morrison was more into poetry and the lyrics. My dad was always a fan of the Doors, but I don't think he listens to that kind of music anymore.

He was really good at setting moods with his organ that matched the song. He could do dark ("The Unknown Soldier", "Five To One"), mysterious ("Light My Fire", "Riders On The Storm"), or he could do upbeat ("Hello I Love You, "People Are Strange"). Excellent musician.
I will agree with Charlie because he always came with a mood of those songs. I thought his keyboarding (organ) skills just blow me away and it exactly fits every song that Jim writes.
Let me fill you in...

I didn't know he was involved into Jim Henson's "Time Piece" before he moved on to his music career. Thanks!

Like I said, their music will live on and so will his legacy. R.I.P Ray Manzarek!