RIP Red Buttons

P

Princeton

One of my all time favorite actors died today at age 87. Red Buttons was an Oscar winner for "Sayanora", but I will always remember him for his role as Hoagy in "Pete's Dragon".

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That's a shame:cry:

I only ever knew him for Hoagy's role but he sure was funny in that movie.

He was a great actor no doubt lost to us for good now:sympathy:

RIP

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
ah he died last Wed. July 12th

The Curtain has finally come down on perhaps one of the longest Careers in Hollywood showbiz.

Red Buttons died today of vascular Disease at the ripe old age of 87.

Now a lot of the younger under 20 set probably don't know who Red Buttons is. But to the Older folks, Red was a Comedic Genius with the Likes of Art Carney, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and others..

and Red Button's careers was perhaps one of the longest.. spanning over sixty years of Broadway, Movies, and yes Even Early Television.

Red's First break came at 16, at that age, Buttons landed a gig as a singing bellhop in a gin mill on New York's City Island, where he earned his lifelong stage name thanks to his fiery red hair and button-laden uniform.

He further honed his acting, comedic and even his singing skills until 1943 when he was drafted into the military for World War 2. after 1952, Buttons landed a TV Deal with CBS and was the star of The Red Buttons show (His closest rival and later Best Friend (Milton Berle) competed against each other but after 3 years Buttons was out of a job due to low ratings and the Fact that Milton usually did his "Drag" routine.

But Buttons' Big hit was a Movie Called "Sayonara" who along side Marlon Bradon garnered him an Academy Award, for Best Supporting actor.

Red eventually made his way back to series television with the short-lived The Double Life of Henry Phyfe before becoming a go-to guest star, with stints on Little House on the Prairie, Wonder Woman, Vega$, Roseanne, Knot's Landing, Cosby, Fantasy Island and the inevitable Love Boat, where he made three separate voyages.
He was nominated for an Emmy last year for his recurring guest role as Jules "Ruby" Rubadoux on ER--it was his final screen credit.

In all this little guy who started at 16 finally ended his career on ER.. and is now off to go talk it over with Bob, Bing, Red Skelton, Art Carney, and Eaven Jackie Gleason...

zeldazipple

Reaction score
That's a shame to loose sutch a talented person. I rember seeing him in some really old movies but I don't remeber the name of it now. Where he was a clown in a circus and he ends up saving some guys life. I think this is the same guy the name sure rings a bell that would probably be back in the 30's 40's.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yeah, he was awesome in Pete's Dragon. Truth be told, I thought he died several years ago, but I was sorry to hear of his death nonetheless...
Erin

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Yeah, he was awesome in Pete's Dragon. Truth be told, I thought he died several years ago, but I was sorry to hear of his death nonetheless...
Erin
i was in the same boat i thought he died back in the 90's