Rip: Stan Winston

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Now I know that technically this isn't a 'Muppet' topic, however I think thats it's wholly relevant to mourn the loss of Stan Winston this past weekend. Like the unforgetable Jim Henson, Stan Winston was a visionary who brought to life some of the movies most famous creatures. My interest in puppetry and special effects began with the Muppets - an influence I still draw upon today. However through my formative years I was interested, almost to the point of obsession by all of Winstons creations, from the Predator to the Terminator Endoskeleton. My games room is a-wash with models and prop replicas from Hollywood, and the T2 Skull and Arm take pride of place (next to my MR Muppets of course!). I just thought I would start a thread to honour this wonderful man whose work has touched so many. RIP Stan Winston.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
On a slight tangent, anyone who wishes to find out more about Stan Winston can do no better than to by 'The Winston Effect' book. I really does make for a fantastic read.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I nearly fell to the floor when I saw the blurb on TV. I admired his work so much. He was like the Ray Harryhausen of my generation (aka: awesome).

Jinx

Reaction score
Stan was truly a visionary who highly regarded the puppetry skills of those on his staff. He will be badly missed.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I was shocked when I heard what happened. I didn't even know he had cancer. He left far too early...like a certain other puppet master. RIP Stan. You were definitly one of the greats.

On a side note, the Stan Winston book is great. Gives a great insight on Stan and his work.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Most people are surprised when the find out a lot of stuff they just assume is CG like the Terminator robots, or the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park or even that cool little mini-Transformer in Transformers last year weren't computer generated, they were Stan Winston puppets.

ShiveringCactus

Reaction score
He truly will be missed. The work he did, even the stuff from years ago, still looks terrific now, better than a lot of the newer CG stuff. I mean, the Jurassic Park dinosaurs look a thousand times better than some of the ones in King Kong.

He really was amazing.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I red about this the other day. It's clear it will never be the same without him.:frown: