RIP Stephen Hillenburg

mr3urious

Reaction score
This is so freaky. I watched Mr. Enter's latest Animated Atrocities video about a SpongeBob episode yesterday, and then this happens. :cry:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hate SpongeBob, but this is still sad, considering he really wasn't even that old.

It's interesting how he was becoming the main creative influence behind Rocko durings its final season while Joe Murray was in the process of slowly walking away from the show.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
That really sucks. I've always loved SpongeBob. It's one of the few non Jim Henson-related childhood shows of mine that I still enjoy just as much (if not more at times) as an adult as I did back then. That's a shame that Stephen died but the legacy of his work will live on forever. I have a feeling that SpongeBob will go down in history as one of the great animation icons of all time alongside Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Fred Flintstone, Charlie Brown, and Homer Simpson some day. I can picture people still watching SpongeBob reruns nearly 100 years from now, just like how kids still love classic Looney Tunes nowadays.

I'll never forget all the times he and that hilarious, iconic yellow sponge of his made me smile. I'll really miss him but the impact he had on my creative mind as well as many other peoples' will live on. I'm not sure whether or not my sense of humor would be the same if not for SpongeBob. That signature style of random sight gags, musical numbers, memorable quotes that my friends and I have said constant times, clever plots, and occasional cutaways to live action material is a very unique type of humor that had never been done before when the show first premiered in 1999.

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
I did not know SpongeBob's creator died Monday. Though I feel bad for his death, I basically have the same opinion as does @D'Snowth on that show.
I agree with @D'Snowth, I hate SpongeBob, too.