1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

RIP Tom Petty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaky Pudding, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

I am very shocked, sad, and disappointed to hear that one of my favorite singers, Tom Petty passed away yesterday evening. I've always loved his music and always will. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I'm really trying hard not to cry right now, :(. I hope that his legacy will live on and he will continue to gain future generations of fans as the years go on

2. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Not to sound rude or anything, but I knew he would not survive at all when he was taken off life support. He was after all, pretty much brain dead (to me).

3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't expect him to pull through either. Still, I always enjoyed this music and it's a shame to hear we lost another rock legend.

4. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Devastating news...I did not expect him to die so soon of cardiac arrest! But now he's definitely in a better place: jamming up in heaven with Prince, David Bowie, and other deceased rock legends that we've recently lost. Rest in peace, Mr. Petty. Thanks for 40+ years of inspiring music.

5. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

He struggled with heroin addiction for a long time, from what I've been hearing. Don't know how long he stayed clean.

6. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

:sing: I'm gonna free fall out into nothing
    Gonna leave this world for a awhile :sing:

MuppetsRule likes this.
  7. Flaky Pudding

That's probably my favorite Tom Petty song

theSHE124 likes this.
  8. LittleJerry92

And I'm runnin' down a dream....
    Never would come to me....

theSHE124 likes this.
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

My favorite Tom Petty song has always been this little Christmas jam of his:

theSHE124 and LittleJerry92 like this.
  10. MikaelaMuppet

I also read that he was a smoker.

11. Flaky Pudding

I didn't know he had a song in Home Alone. That's awesome :)

12. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Tom Petty also had a memorable run on King of the Hill as Elroy "Lucky" Kleinschmidt, the friendly good ol' boy redneck who eventually married Luanne Platter...

And now for a few of Mr. Petty's memorable videos in memoriam...

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  13. MikaelaMuppet

I love the Alice In Wonderland themed video.

14. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

My top 10 favorite Tom Petty songs (in no particular order):

1. Here Comes My Girl
    2. Refugee
    3. Woman in Love
    4. Don't Come Around Here No More
    5. You're Jammin' Me
    6. I Won't Back Down
    7. Into The Great Wide Open
    8. Mary Jane's Last Dance
    9. King of the Hill (duet with Roger McGuinn, no relation to the tv show)
    10. Inside Out (with the Travelling Wilburys)

theSHE124 likes this.
  15. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

In regards to #9, it seems rather ironic that Tom Petty would go on to star in King of the Hill (the sitcom) about a decade or so after the song duet with Roger McGuinn...

16. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

17. 1000 Eyes

1000 Eyes Well-Known Member

Is this really the only thing some people can get out of his death? Let's leave politics aside for a bit and focus on the legend.

Tom Petty is one of the greats in rock history. While he hasn't been my favorite overall, he's definitely made some great songs. His death was a shock, and I'm sorry to hear that yet another great has passed on.

Didn't see this thread or I would've posted sooner, but yeah, RIP.

MuppetsRule and muppetgem like this.
  18. Censored

It was an important aspect of his life that he wanted people to know about.

19. LittleJerry92

Meh, who cares what he did with the flag? That's his ****ing issue and nothing more. I mean, have we heard stories that he was a white supremacist or that he supported slavery? No. At least, not that I've heard of.

Whatever the case, let's just be greatful he was around to make some great music.

20. Censored

I think you missed the point of what he was saying in the link. Tom Petty was very progressive and always against racism, but he came to realize that the confederate flag was sending the wrong message.