Roger Rabbit Blu-ray March 12, 2013!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit: 25th Anniversary Edition" will hit b-b-b-blu-ray March 12, 2013. The advertisement mentions the short subjects as special features. The previous DVD version contained heaps of goodies so I expect Disney will include a lot more for this Blu-ray treatment. They just haven't announced any yet. The Blu-ray will also include a companion DVD.​

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sequel or not. I really hope this means that Disney is playing ball with Amblin/Spielberg/whoever again and we get a pronounced resurgence of the character in merchandising and theme parks. I'd love for Marvel to reprint the Disney comic line in graphic novel format. Those self published Disney comics from the 90's are the worst bound comic books ever printed, and the covers disintegrate for me to want to track old issues down.

If nothing else, I want to see Disney release a figurine set of Roger Rabbit.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Judging by the fact that the Disney name is nowhere on the front art, this is still being released under the Touchstone name. I don't know why Disney has never embraced it under their name but Nightmare Before Christmas (the other 90's animated title released under Touchstone) is, but I'm thankful the Blu-ray is coming nonetheless, already had it pre-ordered, my 2003 Vista Series DVD has gotten particularly beat up over the years so a replacement is much appreciated.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Judging by the fact that the Disney name is nowhere on the front art, this is still being released under the Touchstone name. I don't know why Disney has never embraced it under their name but Nightmare Before Christmas (the other 90's animated title released under Touchstone) is, but I'm thankful the Blu-ray is coming nonetheless, already had it pre-ordered, my 2003 Vista Series DVD has gotten particularly beat up over the years so a replacement is much appreciated.
The troubled history of Roger Rabbit stems from the bad blood between Eisner and Spielberg. Disney seems to want to strengthen its brands and this 25th anniversary is the perfect chance to do it. I just hope we get everything that was on the previous DVD release along with some new goodies too.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
The troubled history of Roger Rabbit stems from the bad blood between Eisner and Spielberg. Disney seems to want to strengthen its brands and this 25th anniversary is the perfect chance to do it. I just hope we get everything that was on the previous DVD release along with some new goodies too.
From what I've read so far, yes, the Blu-ray will contain just about everything from the DVD is on the Blu-ray. But no new confirmed features yet.

Follow-up: Yup, it seems like pretty much everything is here: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...iversary_Edition_Blu-ray_Features_Added/10782 There might be a thing or two missing but it looks like this is basically the DVD put on a Blu-ray, with a nice HD transfer out of it!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The troubled history of Roger Rabbit stems from the bad blood between Eisner and Spielberg. Disney seems to want to strengthen its brands and this 25th anniversary is the perfect chance to do it.
It's a great thing Eisner's out of the picture, then. This movie needs all the exposure it deserves, and it's about time to see new Roger goods in stores.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Both Roger Rabbit and Back to the Future shared the same director, critical and box office success. Of course Disney is proud of Roger Rabbit and they should be.[/SIZE]

Reality Check:
  • Roger Rabbit was the 2nd largest grossing film of 1988 behind Rain Man. That means it beat-out Die Hard, Big, Twins and Coming to America. All mammoth blockbusters that year!
  • It re-invigorated and revolutionized the animation industry. It also brought the Disney Company much acclaim and spots on top 10 lists that year.
  • It was one of the first affordable VHS tapes made available to the public at a reasonable SRP under $20. This particular film helped open the Disney Vault and usher in their lucrative home video releases.
  • The film brought together characters from Disney, Warner Brothers and many other studios for the first, and probably last, time on screen!
  • The traditional craftsmanship and technological innovations required nearly half a decade to get to the screen and resulted in 4 Academy Awards for Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Film Editing and a Special Achievement Oscar for animator Richard Williams.No other Animated film has received so many Oscars to this date.
If that's embarrassment, please someone
embarrass the heck out of me right now!!!! I mean it!

I do understand not liking a particular motion picture that everyone else does. I have a personal distaste for Titanic. That said, I wouldn't call that film an embarrassment for the the studio and I certainly wouldn't encourage them not to release it on Blu-ray.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's a great thing Eisner's out of the picture, then. This movie needs all the exposure it deserves, and it's about time to see new Roger goods in stores.
I have the feeling that all of this recent Disney ownership of properties (like the Muppets, Marvel and Star Wars) could have happened a lot sooner if Eisner had been out of the picture. Spielberg and Katzenberg would have stayed with them and DreamWorks would have likely never happened. That also makes me wonder if Disney would have joined forces with WB to create a lot of the Looney Tunes content we saw in the 90's.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do understand not liking a particular motion picture that everyone else does. I have a personal distaste for Titanic. That said, I wouldn't call that film an embarrassment for the the studio and I certainly wouldn't encourage them not to release it on Blu-ray.
Personally, I saw Citizen Cane and, while I did sort of enjoy it, it wasn't for me and it requires a great deal of historical understanding to really get. Am I going to be a sourpuss and condemn people who do like it? No. Something would have to be entirely awful for me to want that, but universally despised enough that I'd get agreement. Roger Rabbit was on all counts a triumph. Even without the racial relations subtext that makes it an even deeper film.

I have the feeling that all of this recent Disney ownership of properties (like the Muppets, Marvel and Star Wars) could have happened a lot sooner if Eisner had been out of the picture. Spielberg and Katzenberg would have stayed with them and DreamWorks would have likely never happened. That also makes me wonder if Disney would have joined forces with WB to create a lot of the Looney Tunes content we saw in the 90's.
Marvel, maybe... I read that they almost went bankrupt in the 90's. Star Wars seems to be something that only could have happened recently. It really feels like Lucas looked at all the same hate mail and said "I'm getting to old for this" and wanted to sell the company so he could move on. Sort of similar to the reason Peter Laird sold TMNT to Nickelodeon. I wonder if Eisner would have hampered that.

But leadership is very strong at Disney right now, and more franchises are flourishing than ever before. Those dark Pooh and Dalmatians only days of 2001-2003 and the pop stars only era put a bad taste in this Disney fan's mouth.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Personally, I saw Citizen Cane and, while I did sort of enjoy it, it wasn't for me and it requires a great deal of historical understanding to really get. Am I going to be a sourpuss and condemn people who do like it? No.
Well I confess I don't mind being a bit of a sourpuss when it comes to Citizen Kane because I do find it vastly overrated, lol (and I say this as a huge fan of classic cinema). So I guess in order to not be hypocritical I have to accept that some people may not like Roger Rabbit, even though I personally can't understand why. :wink: