Roger Rabbit Blu-ray March 12, 2013!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Personally, I saw Citizen Cane and, while I did sort of enjoy it, it wasn't for me and it requires a great deal of historical understanding to really get. Am I going to be a sourpuss and condemn people who do like it? No. Something would have to be entirely awful for me to want that, but universally despised enough that I'd get agreement. Roger Rabbit was on all counts a triumph. Even without the racial relations subtext that makes it an even deeper film.

Marvel, maybe... I read that they almost went bankrupt in the 90's. Star Wars seems to be something that only could have happened recently. It really feels like Lucas looked at all the same hate mail and said "I'm getting to old for this" and wanted to sell the company so he could move on. Sort of similar to the reason Peter Laird sold TMNT to Nickelodeon. I wonder if Eisner would have hampered that.

But leadership is very strong at Disney right now, and more franchises are flourishing than ever before. Those dark Pooh and Dalmatians only days of 2001-2003 and the pop stars only era put a bad taste in this Disney fan's mouth.
You're right! Roger Rabbit is such a thoughtful film on so many levels.

I adore Citizen Kane even though I understand the complaint. The better Welles film to watch is the film noir Touch of Evil with Marlena Dietrich. Talk about legal wrangling, she received no film credit and the director had to pay her out of pocket because she was obligated to another studio! Oh, and there's Charlton Heston playing a Mexican. Ha! But seriously, a wonderful film made outside the rules of Hollywood.

It's good to see that Disney as strong as it is right now. Of course, I'm certainly not claiming the specific Marvel or Lucas deals would have happened in the 80's or 90's even if Eisner had been out of the picture. I just think he soured many people on the idea of joint projects with Disney. I'm amazed that Lucas went as far as he did in his relationship with Disney Parks. Eisner really did a number on Spielberg. Under Eisner the LucasFilm deal would have likely been haggled out of existence.

It sure is fantastic to walk by a Disney Store and see more Muppets, Marvel and Nightmare Before Christmas than the Hannah Montana they used to hawk.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well I confess I don't mind being a bit of a sourpuss when it comes to Citizen Kane because I do find it vastly overrated, lol (and I say this as a huge fan of classic cinema).
A lot of movies are looked backward with a sense of "It's historical, so its art" especially if they were completely disregarded flops in their own time. Cane was a satirical piece that only makes sense in that context if you lived when the guy they were making fun of lived. And that guy made darn well sure no one saw the picture. Of course, for my money, the best thing Orson Welles ever did were those drunken commercials. Only because those are the funniest things that ever existed. Especially the Frozen Peas tape.

But I watched Cane in a venue that didn't let me quite appreciate it (a classroom, which is strange, since the same venue didn't ruin Gone with the Wind for me). All I really got out of it when I watched it was a Simpsons joke made sense.

You're right! Roger Rabbit is such a thoughtful film on so many levels.
Roger Rabbit has intentional meanings behind it, and unfortunately I had to have it pointed out to me through a wonderfully written book. I think it was 7 Minutes: The Death of the Cartoon or something like that. Sometimes the blatantly obvious needs to be pointed out, but it really makes the film deeper than the source material. And I usually complain about films that completely change the source material. This one did it for the best. The film would have been alright without those themes of race in the 1940's and a deeper understanding of how the era of the theatrical animated cartoon was coming to an end, but it wouldn't have been great.

It's good to see that Disney as strong as it is right now. Of course, I'm certainly not claiming the specific Marvel or Lucas deals would have happened in the 80's or 90's even if Eisner had been out of the picture. I just think he soured many people on the idea of joint projects with Disney. I'm amazed that Lucas went as far as he did in his relationship with Disney Parks. Eisner really did a number on Spielberg. Under Eisner the LucasFilm deal would have likely been haggled out of existence.

It sure is fantastic to walk by a Disney Store and see more Muppets, Marvel and Nightmare Before Christmas than the Hannah Montana they used to hawk.
Eisner came in and did some good things, then became a complete jerk. I was really on the fence, almost disliking the new guy just as much when he was riding the pop star bandwagon out. In hindsight, it seems like he was just exploiting it to the end so they can move forward. There are things I think need to be done, like giving Mickey and Co something better than the preschool series they have and maybe some recognition to classic 1990's cartoon series. But overall, you can go into a Disney Store and see Mickey Mouse. It's almost pathetic how much of an improvement that is, but it seems that all brands have their place and are all treated with some level of respect.

But as for the pop star stuff, the Jonahs Bros hurt them hard. They seemed popular enough, but piles of their merchandise (and after a while Hanna Montana and HSM) went for deep discounts and still didn't move. They still have that sort of thing, but it's far more balanced and they aren't even merchandised, leaving room for projects that get bigger audiences of all demographics.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
First thing that I hate about this movie is the crazy fact that it's advertised as a family movie. Which it is not. (And it could've been).
OK, this I will agree with you on. I'm sick and tired of being laughed at or given odd stares for saying I like this movie from people my age. They all assume because the movie is about partially about a cartoon rabbit it's a movie for very little kids. Oh boy are they in for a treat when they actually watch it.

Which reminds me, my friend once told me a then-3-year old kid she babysits loves this movie. To which I asked her "What responsible parent would let their 3-year old watch that movie?" As much as I grill my parents for certain things, I at least commend them for controlling my media options up until my teen years. I wasn't allowed to watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit until I was about 7 or so.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I'm actually really in the mood of watching this right now. I kinda wish I had a copy, it was so long ago when I saw it... but I couldn't sit through the whole thing the first time I watched it. A lot of movies I enjoyed the second or third time I watched it..seriously, I can give you an entire list.

The HD in that ad looks stunning btw, it looks amazing. I might just wait 'till it comes out to watch it again.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Looks like the movie is finally out on Blu-Ray!
The first batch had to be recalled, due to some mistakes on the packaging, but Disney/Touchstone finally released it!

I wanted to let you all know that Inside The Magic is giving away one-free copy if you can answer these questions correctly, your name will be entered into a draw for a copy of WFRR on Blu-Ray. So, if you're a fan of the movie, Email the correct answers to contest@insidethemagic.net
Good luck y'all!

1. Who is the credited voice of Jessica Rabbit?
2. What is the password to the Ink and Paint Club?
3. How did Carl Fleisher get into character on the set of WFRR?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope to see something at The Disney Store. At least a T-Shirt. It's really time to come out and bring Roger Rabbit back. Eisner's gone, Iger seems to want to repair some burnt bridges. The loose talk of a second RR movie, regardless if it's happening or not, will bring back interest in the character and his movie.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I hope to see something at The Disney Store. At least a T-Shirt. It's really time to come out and bring Roger Rabbit back. Eisner's gone, Iger seems to want to repair some burnt bridges. The loose talk of a second RR movie, regardless if it's happening or not, will bring back interest in the character and his movie.
Yes, I'm going to WDW in a week, and will be on the lookout for RR merch. As I've mentioned before, it's easily in my top 5 fav films of all time, so I'd like to see more be done with the character. I'd like to see a Toon Patrol PVC figure 5-pack; it seems like a no-brainer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney PVC sets are amazing. And if you get them at the stores, they're an amazing value. Like 10-15 bucks for 6 or 7 decent sized, well sculpted figures. I'd love to see a Roger Rabbit set like that. Say what you will about the movie Chicken Little, I have that PVC set and it's a work of art. The Muppet one isn't shabby either.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Yes, I'm going to WDW in a week, and will be on the lookout for RR merch. As I've mentioned before, it's easily in my top 5 fav films of all time, so I'd like to see more be done with the character. I'd like to see a Toon Patrol PVC figure 5-pack; it seems like a no-brainer.
Good luck finding that Toon Patrol set. :laugh:

But, there is a good number of Roger Rabbit merch throughout the park if you look hard enough! Be on the lookout in every store, and ask cast members if they know where you can find some Roger Rabbit merch.
The best place I would say to look, is the 'World of Disney" store in Downtown Disney. They have literally everything there. It's the biggest store I've ever seen. :wow!:
When I was there, I even saw a really cool Jessica Rabbit sideshow, I'm sure they'll have other ones there too. I would've loved to see a Roger one.

Also, when you get to Orlando, go and buy pins at anywhere BUT Disney World. Pins are the most expensive in the parks, and if you want to trade for pins (I've actually seen some good Roger Rabbit pins in the parks) start with some cheap ones from an outlet somewhere and trade with guests and cast members to whatever pins fit your likes. Cast members are supposed to trade with the guest if you ask them to trade.
When you're in the parks without trading pins, you feel like you're left out :laugh: But don't spend all your money on pins, since they can be expensive! Buy cheap and trade your way up! :wink: