Ronald Reagan dies at 93

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Personally, I think the news stations are blowing his death out of proportion. Alright so he died, but people knew he didn't have that much longer to live. It would have been okay if they put a few days of emphasis on him but as what I've come to expect from news stations, they're blowing a story way out of line.

ryan

Doogied

Reaction score
Out of proportion?

1st let me say: As a Canadian, my condolences to you all, on both the president's death and the fact that you got stuck with Mulrooney for a day. No one should have to get grief with their grief so to speak.....
As for blowing it out of proportion, it is the first presidential death in 30 years so not really. People love getting together and remembering good times and good things ('speacially now) and reminicing about Regan gives that to them.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with the degree of coverage. No, it wasn't a surprise, and he hadn't been president since the late '80s, but he was a major American figure who meant a lot to a lot of people. I think all the focus is perfectly appropriate.
Erin

Phantom

Reaction score
Doogied said:
As for blowing it out of proportion, it is the first presidential death in 30 years so not really.
Richard M Nixon, April 22, 1994.

Dispite what negative comments this may invoke, he was still a President.

Reagan on the other hand showed a strong will, moral courage and strength of character that is rarely seen in a national leader. This is why he is being honored as he should be. We won't be seeing a state funeral like this anytime soon. Reagan related to people in ways that put him head and shoulders above his predecessors (since Kennedy) and his successors.

Mr. Bush had an opportunity to demonstrate these same characteristics, which he did immediately following September 11, but has slowly allow it to slip his grasp. I believe that his moral conviction and strength of character are existent but, for one reason or another, are not clearly obvious to everyone.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
Every time I think of him (even though he was a great man, and he was very sick) I think if Back to the future, where Doc asks Marty "ok future boy, who is the president in 1985?" "Ronald Reagan" "Ronald Reagan?! the ACTOR?! and whos vice president, Jerry Luis?!" always loved that line :cry:
And later in the film when Doc Brown is handling the video camera he says something like "No wonder you have an actor for president. He has to look good on camera!"

And he really did. He had the presence and demeanor that stated PRESIDENT. No one has come close (although Clinton had his moments: State of the Union addresses, on the tarmac boarding Air Force One, etc.)

Reagan's death has reminded me of what it was like to feel a patriotism not borne out of a great national tragedy (9/11), but out of optimism and hope for the future. Differences of policy and politics aside, I hope we can all agree that this was among his greatest gifts to those of us he governed. He made it okay to have pride in ourselves, and to strive to reach our full potential as a nation.

-SF

ceecee

Reaction score
Ronald Reagan was president when I was born, and he taught me from an early age what a president should be. His death makes me somewhat sad, but when a person dies from Alzeihmer's, I tend to think of it as a blessing.

On a lighter note, I work directly across from my town's post office, and I have seen countless people go up to the door, pull on it, and get this puzzled look on their faces. Then they read the sign saying that it is closed today due to Reagan's funeral. They look so bewildered. It's rather funny.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I've been watching the tv broadcasts everyday,of the Reagan proceedings,all through today with his funeral.Such a somber day.RIP Mr. President. :frown:

guysmiley4ever

Reaction score
gloomy day it is

This has been quite a sad day, sigh. :cry:

The sun was shining for a short while this morning,
then as the procession got started, a light drizzle of rain began to fall.
As the service went on...the rain increased.
For the last few hours now, it's been a steady downpour.
A monsoon of large rain drops that hasn't stopped for a second.

It's as if the heavens opened up this day and wept. A symbol of our tears.
Grey, overcast, and a dreary day. *sniff*

:sing: "Gee I'm glad it's raining. There's always something to be thankful for.
I'm awfully glad it's raining, cause no one sees your tear drops,when it pours,
And no one know the thunder is your heartbreak in disguise,
they think the rainy night's what put that sad look in your eyes,
...as long as it keeps raining, no one knows my heart broke right in two..."

Good night your Majesty, Mr. President.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I missed the beginning, but what I saw of the funeral was really nice. The remarks by his children were incredibly eloquent.
Erin

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
guysmiley4ever said:
This has been quite a sad day, sigh. :cry:

The sun was shining for a short while this morning,
then as the procession got started, a light drizzle of rain began to fall.
As the service went on...the rain increased.
For the last few hours now, it's been a steady downpour.
A monsoon of large rain drops that hasn't stopped for a second.

It's as if the heavens opened up this day and wept. A symbol of our tears.
Grey, overcast, and a dreary day. *sniff*

:sing: "Gee I'm glad it's raining. There's always something to be thankful for.
I'm awfully glad it's raining, cause no one sees your tear drops,when it pours,
And no one know the thunder is your heartbreak in disguise,
they think the rainy night's what put that sad look in your eyes,
...as long as it keeps raining, no one knows my heart broke right in two..."

Good night your Majesty, Mr. President.

Glad to see someone else knows this song.Thanks. :smirk: