Rotten Tomatoes ranks the top Disney movies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kind of wished James and the Giant Peach made the list... I think there was a point in time when I was younger that I actually watched that movie every single day for about a year, lol.

unclematt

Reaction score
I kind of wished James and the Giant Peach made the list... I think there was a point in time when I was younger that I actually watched that movie every single day for about a year, lol.
Was that a Disney movie and where is The Nightmare before Christmas :confused:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's all explained in the Rotten Tomatoes guidelines before the article. There's a lot that gets left out. :eek:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
They're not ranking the 48 greatest Disney movies, there ranking all of the canon Disney movies. All 48 of them, that's how much there are 48, with the upcoming Princess and the Frog it will be 49. Their aren't saying that Home on the Range is a better movie than the Nightmare Before Christmas (I can't picture anyone saying that), but NBC isn't a canon Disney movie where as Home on the Range, Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons are. It's not that they're better movies, it's that they're part of the list.

James and the Giant Peach and Nightmare Before Christmas are consider Disney flims, but they're not consider canon Disney movies, because they were release though Disney's Sub companies like Touchstone. Movies from Pixar, Disneytoon, Touchstone, Studio Ghibli and the likes aren't included. Not even Disney's movie that's out now "A Christmas Carol" starring Jim Carry isn't part of the canon Disney animated movies. If they added in those movies this list would be close to the 100 mark.

The upcoming Princess and the Frog is only consider Disney's 49th full legth animated movie. Though, again if you add in Studio Ghibli, Pixar, Touchstone and Dinseytoon, it would be more like their 149th feature, :smile:. Than you would have to include the direct to video Disney movies and so much more. It should also be noted that the Nightmare Before Christmas carried the Touchstone banner a long time before it carried the Disney banner.

Also in case no one has notice the only Winnie the Pooh movie included in this list is "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Reason being is that is the only Pooh film that's in the Disney canon of animated movies, where as say A Tigger movie or Piglet's Big Movie are NOT in the Disney canon.

You'll also noted that when I started this thread, I didn't say I was surpised Home on the Range MADE the list, I was surpised it was as high as it was. That's because I knew it was going to be on the list cause it's a Disney Animation Studios canon movie. Where as I one of my all time favorite movies The Nightmare Before Christmas wasn't going to be on the list, because again it's not a DAS canon movie. Perhaps I should of titled this thread better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The list is interesting because this system leaves off live-action/animated films like Roger Rabbit and Song of the South as well as full-fledged cartoons like the Ducktales movie.
I think they refused to put the Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning movies on there because they just don't count as the bigger, more important Disney movies... i.e. Little Mermaid and all that, the big main ones they market like crazy. Disney almost didn't acknowledge the Ducktales movie, and then whined about how bad it did at the box office, killing the chance of the Rescue Rangers movie they actually planned on making...

Oh the possibilities for a Darkwing Duck movie...

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I think they refused to put the Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning movies on there because they just don't count as the bigger, more important Disney movies... i.e. Little Mermaid and all that, the big main ones they market like crazy. Disney almost didn't acknowledge the Ducktales movie, and then whined about how bad it did at the box office, killing the chance of the Rescue Rangers movie they actually planned on making...

Oh the possibilities for a Darkwing Duck movie...
Again as I explained in my last post, it's not that they're not as important. It's that it's not a part of the Disney Animation Studios canon list of Disney films. That was made by Disneytoon, the same company that makes most of the direct to video Disney movies and the new Tinkerbelle movies.

This list is only about the DAS Disney movies, no Pixar, no Disneytoon, nothing but DAS.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again as I explained in my last post, it's not that they're not as important. It's that it's not a part of the Disney Animation Studios canon list of Disney films. That was made by Disneytoon, the same company that makes most of the direct to video Disney movies and the new Tinkerbelle movies.
Aye yes... I forgot about that. They really aren't considered Disney's movies in the same way that Little Mermaid et al are because they were indeed done by television animation studios.

But while I'm on the subject. Really, it's a shame Ducktales didn't do better and open up a world of Disney Afternoon series finale movies... especially since Darkwing Duck had a third season planned where Darkwing and Morgana get married and Taurus Bulba returns... and the series just ended with Darkwing going back in time to dinosaur times because of some inane episode quota. It really is disappointing they didn't come up with the idea for DTV movies until much later. As per my understanding, Doug was considered as a DTV (and even advertised as one at one point on a video release) but was then theatrically screened during February break instead.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Aye yes... I forgot about that. They really aren't considered Disney's movies in the same way that Little Mermaid et al are because they were indeed done by television animation studios.

But while I'm on the subject. Really, it's a shame Ducktales didn't do better and open up a world of Disney Afternoon series finale movies... especially since Darkwing Duck had a third season planned where Darkwing and Morgana get married and Taurus Bulba returns... and the series just ended with Darkwing going back in time to dinosaur times because of some inane episode quota. It really is disappointing they didn't come up with the idea for DTV movies until much later. As per my understanding, Doug was considered as a DTV (and even advertised as one at one point on a video release) but was then theatrically screened during February break instead.
Yes it is a shame, a Darkwing Duck movie would of been just totally sweet.

Though it wasn't uncommon (and still isn't really) for Saturday mouring kids cartoons to not get a proper final show. That is a long list within itself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... Darkwing Duck was one of the multiple shows that actually HAD more episodes scripted before the studio wanted to pull the plug... now, I don't 100% trust Wikipedia But here are 4 of the episodes they considered... I think the Morgana Wedding thing could have been a fan rumor, but they really planned on having the show go another season.

Here's the annoying part. Another season of 13 episodes would have gone 3 or 4 episodes over the series episode production cap. Why they couldn't just do half a season (budget maybe) escapes me... but a lot of the concepts they didn't use were much stronger than some of the season 3 episodes they used.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Yeah... Darkwing Duck was one of the multiple shows that actually HAD more episodes scripted before the studio wanted to pull the plug... now, I don't 100% trust Wikipedia But here are 4 of the episodes they considered... I think the Morgana Wedding thing could have been a fan rumor, but they really planned on having the show go another season.

Here's the annoying part. Another season of 13 episodes would have gone 3 or 4 episodes over the series episode production cap. Why they couldn't just do half a season (budget maybe) escapes me... but a lot of the concepts they didn't use were much stronger than some of the season 3 episodes they used.
I like the idea of that "Oppisites Attack" episode. But like you said, since this is Wikipedia, you have to take that info with a gain of salt. But still to see Negaduck I and Negaduck II face to face would of been something, especially since some fans are still confused by that whole thing, :confused:.

But back to this list, I'm happy that Dumbo made the top five. Though upon looking at it again, I'm a bit surpised none of the fame "Disney Renaissance" made the top five, :smirk:. Beauty and the Beast was close with number 6.