Rowlf and The Swedish Chef on Saturday Night Live

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
SNL--Amazing Muppet Sketch!

Anybody catch the SNL episode with Seth Rogen tonight? The penultimate sketch of the show featured Seth as Rowlf playing piano, Andy Samberg as the Swedish Chef, Maya Rudolph as Janice, Bill Hader as Animal, and someone else (maybe Fred Armisen? maybe Jason Sudeikis?) as Zoot. They played "Somewhere Beyond the Sea." It was great! Maya Rudolph looked unbelievably like Janice. It was uncanny. I literally thought I was watching Janice come to life!

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes its way to nbc.com soon.

:flirt: :halo: :cool:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Anybody catch the SNL episode with Seth Rogen tonight? The penultimate sketch of the show featured Seth as Rowlf playing piano, Andy Samberg as the Swedish Chef, Maya Rudolph as Janice, Bill Hader as Animal, and someone else (maybe Fred Armisen? maybe Jason Sudeikis?) as Zoot. They played "Somewhere Beyond the Sea." It was great! Maya Rudolph looked unbelievably like Janice. It was uncanny. I literally thought I was watching Janice come to life!

of course I changed the chanel because snl is overly political and a snooz fest yet I give it a chance every week to be funny which it hardly ever is and I miss this.
Well I hope some one lets us know if it finds its way to the net.
It makes me wonder if Disney is paying these people to have the muppets or muppet nods in all these shows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, over the initial problem that having Andy as the Swedish chef being more sacrilegious to me than anything they did to Jesus on Family Guy (you all know by now I don't like him) and the fact that they advertised a cartoon that wasn't on the episode (unless it was the cold opening.... in that case I missed it) I thought this was really neat. Though, I will say... there is more to impersonating the Chef than saying "bork" a hundered times. But the part with the Mayhem band was the best thing I've seen on that show in years. I liked the Baby Gonzo thing a year ago... but that skit was just too long.

It was fun to watch, but sitting through half of those skits was torture.

That thing with the awkward ugly kids wasn't funny at all. it was...well...akward. And painful.

twasbrillig12

Reaction score
I haven't really been watching the show for past few years since a quality decline but I was thrilled to see a Muppet parody. When they had Animal do a drum solo the audience went wild. I wonder who came up with the idea for that. To think, I almost turned it off right before that sketch.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Yeah, the Muppet skit was the best thing on that episode, except for Weekend Update, which is the reason I tune in.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score

or youtube

Frogster

Reaction score
It wasn't funny, but it was interesting to see. I'm sorta tired of Lorne Michaels letting Andy Samberg do whatever he feels like. He's running around 30 Rockerfeller like a 5-year-old. And on behalf of Muppet fans, he was embarrassing. Bill Hader's where the talent's at. And I'm glad that he did Animal. It was also nice that Fred Armisen didn't say a word; I think he's my least favorite SNL performer since Tracy Morgan. Probably the only thing I smiled at during that sketch is when Don Pardo, the announcer, went, "And now, a moment with Rowlf and the Swedish Chef" and then, "This has been a moment with Rowlf and Swedish Chef." I love how he announces things; he makes them seem as if it's perfectly normal...

Don Pardo: "Ladies and gentlemen, it's the Sexual Harassment Seminar!"

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
I actually really liked this! Andy as the Swedish Chef wasn't really good (at all...that was embarrasing) but the rest was great! Bill Hader's Animal impression was amazing and Maya Rudolph look EXACTLY like Janice. When it first came on, I felt a bit weird because usually if they mention the Muppets this show, it seems like it's going to be a lame jab at them [like that Kermit/Justin Timberlake one]. Then they surprised me by just having it a "normal act". I still sort of wonder why they did it, it sort of came out of nowhere and had no real point. I'm fine with that, though anytime's a good time for a Muppet reference! :stick_out_tongue:

P.S. Even though the recent episodes of SNL haen't been that good, I liked this episode. Seth Rogen was funny in it.

karamazov80

Reaction score
I pretty much never watch SNL, but since the host was Seth Rogan last night I watched and caught the bulk of that segment. I guess I kind of agree with the consensus here. I though the Swedish Chef guy was aweful, but Janice was absolutely spot on, and the Animal guy wasn't bad, either. His heavy breathing at the end was particularly inspired. So, yeah, it wasn't very funny, but it put a smile on my face seeing obscure Muppets like Zoot, Rowlf, and Janice on SNL. . .

travellingpat

Reaction score
This seems like one of those sketches where the guys are in the office, drunk out of their minds trying to come up with a sketch and this one pops out.......i really enjoyed it but it was so random it was hilarious