Rowlf and voices

TheEasyWay

Reaction score
Two questions:

a) Why does Rowlf not feature in the later muppet movies?

b) Does anyone know of a website where one can find advice on how to impersonate the muppet voices (particularly Kermit)?

Thanks!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
TheEasyWay said:
Two questions:
Okay.
TheEasyWay said:
Well, in 1990, the performer of Rowlf and creator of the Muppets Jim Henson, sadly passed away. Bill Barretta, the man behind Pepe the King Prawn and Johnny Fiama, has since picked up Rowlf as his own, but I don't think the writers know whether or not the fans can handle the new Rowlf. There was quite a buzz about the new Kermit.
TheEasyWay said:
b) Does anyone know of a website where one can find advice on how to impersonate the muppet voices (particularly Kermit)?
As far as I know, there is no such website. However, I could suggest listening to the Kermit the Frog talking. How his voice changes at certain times, the different emphasis he applies on different words, and taking everything you hear into note. Just keep practicing at it, listening to what comes out of your mouth as you attempt his voice.
TheEasyWay said:
You're welcome!

jediX

Reaction score
I think the capability to do voices relies quite a bit on your actual voice itself. I can do very accurate low, throaty Frank Oz voices, but no Goelz or Hunt. Why? My voice just isn't in their range.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I have a good voice for reaching various pitches and sounds... and without having to make funny faces to get to them. The only problem there is, my real voice isn't too flattering.

I can go high and squeaky, or very deep-pitched and gruff. I have used both ends of my range with my puppets voices.

However, Rchard Hunt and Dave Goelz do have very difficult voices to get into, as jediX noted. Particularly Hunt's Scooter and Goelz's Gonzo. I can do Honeydew, Beauregard, a bit of Statler and Janice.

I think the easiest way to learn how to imitate Jim Henson's range is by listening to his rendition of Time in a Bottle from The Muppet Show. It's very nice, and Jim uses most of his voices in the song (except Kermit and Ernie. He does a variation of Kermit, but not dead-on), including one of his easiest voices to immitate. He used it in Octupusses Garden on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
I think the easiest way to learn how to imitate Jim Henson's range is by listening to his rendition of Time in a Bottle from The Muppet Show. It's very nice, and Jim uses most of his voices in the song (except Kermit and Ernie. He does a variation of Kermit, but not dead-on), including one of his easiest voices to immitate. He used it in Octupusses Garden on the Ed Sullivan Show.
:eek: I *sooo* remember that performance. Love that song to begin with, and Henson did such a great job with it. It was so sweet... :flirt:
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
I think the easiest way to learn how to imitate Jim Henson's range is by listening to his rendition of Time in a Bottle from The Muppet Show
Now there's a moment that belongs in the "Muppet moments that make me cry" list!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I love how the idea of an old scientist exploding into younger and younger versions of himself seems like sort of a lousey concept, but then when you actually see it, it comes off brilliantly. It's so inocent and sad, without losing that Muppet edge.

I love the way at the end of the song, the Scientist gives up, slamming down the beaker in a hopeless state and rests his head on his hand as if trying to come up with another way to pull this off. I don't know why I like that, but it just sort of brings the whole thing into perspective.

One of Jim's fears was of time. That's why he made Timepiece, and I think that's why the song appeared in The Muppet Show. Timepiece was Jim's way of saying how fast time flies. In the same way, the song and the way it's told on the show is trying to fight time.

I read an article somewhere saying that Jim was afraid of getting old, and someone said they thought that's why he died so young. He didn't want to get older. All of these things probably effected his performance in the song.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Well said, Scooter. It was such a poignant performance, and I just loved the way that they pulled it off visually. The perfect accompaniment to such a bittersweet song. It's interesting what you say about Jim's fear of getting old; certainly not something I enjoy thinking about much. Who knows, maybe there's some truth in that hypothesis - of course, John Denver said "It turns me on to think of growing old" and he didn't make it any longer than Jim... :frown:
Erin

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
TheEasyWay said:
Two questions:

i thought he was in maui with scooter drinking tequila and dancing with the women of the island, living the sweet life. that's why i thought he wasn't in the movies....oh wait he was..it was scooter that was in maui during the christmas carol and treasure sland movies! they were celebrating scooter's uncle's retirement that was covered in the very merry long title christmas movie.

ryan