Rowlf Puppet

rtgentry

Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone out there have a successfull replica Rowlf Puppet that they made? As one of my favorite muppets , Its one that I cannot figure out.

rtgentry

Reaction score
Okay the only tip I have so far for starting a rowlf puppet is to a 7in foam ball in diameter for the head construction. Anyone have any more tips. I need to know what to use for the eyes and espicially the nose.

rtgentry

Reaction score
Okay I have started the rowlf according to the feedback I have received so far. I purchased a couple of 7in poof foam balls from wal-mart. I use an electric knife to cut the mouth. I bought some model magic to shape the nose with. I really want to get the right fur. So I will have to go to jo anns or hancock to see if they have anything close.

I will try to post progress pics to see what advice I can get.

Does any have a pattern for the human hand glove puppet like I would need for rowlf?

Walmart has some furry pillows that would be almost perfect for rowlfs fur. I wish I could get it in a larger piece...

SesameKermie

Reaction score
It's not a true "pattern" but try looking for the "Consumer Monster" on Google. (I don't remember its link offhand.) The puppet is a similar type to Rowlf, and should give you some ideas.

Hope this helps,

Jason

rtgentry

Reaction score
I am really looking for a pattern for the body, which < like rowlf> has the hands attached . I know I have seen an old commerical pattern for a puppet like that. I just cant find it.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my puppet creation, Rufus the Dragon (c):
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/toughie47/000_00022.jpg

The way I made him, his body looks just like Rowlfs. If you'll notice on Rowlf: his arms aren't separated as with Fozzie, they're just one big piece. Here's a quick drawing of how I cut out his body and gloves:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/toughie47/RufusBodyPattern.jpg

On my puppet, I used one big piece for the front, and another same piece for the back. MC member Jinx suggested that I use a Seam Ripper or a similar pick to pull the fur out along the seams (when you're all done) to better hide them (be sure to not rip the actual thread in the seam!). I had originally planned to do that, but had run out of time. I still will though, as it's a much better effect.

Good Luck!
:smile:
Anthony

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
rtgentry said:
I need to know what to use for the eyes and especially the nose.
I made the eyes and tooth out of Sculpy. Before baking, I took a screw (the same size I'd use afterwards) and carefully screwed it in and out the bottoms of the eyes. The tooth was a shell that I later hot-glued a piece of foam into (in retrospect, I'd do the eyes the same way so they wouldn't be so heavy). After baking all three pieces, I painted them white, then sprayed on an acrylic matte coat for shine.

As for a Rowlf nose, that's a toughie for me. I'd probably do it the hard way: sculpt it out of Sculpy, bake it, make a mold of it (with Plaster of Paris), then 3 or 4 layer the mold with black-dyed Liquid Latex Rubber. Don't forget to line the mold with Petroleum Jelly when making the mold and when filling it later. I'm sure there's a much easier way, somebody please post it!

:smile:
Anthony