Rubber Ducky

superfan

Reaction score
Okay say way back there in the late 60's as people are getting ready for Sesame Street and they need a Rubber Ducky for Ernie. People in charge go out to find the one that has the perfect squeak and look to it. Now. Surely they went to a store where there were more than one of this particular duck! Surely children have received this particular duck as a gift or what have you. But whatever became of it? The only ducks I see nowadays are bright yellow (or perhaps a novelty variation) but certainly none like Ernie's.
So what happened here? Are there any on Ebay? Does anyone know someone who owns the same kind of duck?

SurfPark

Reaction score
I just did an eBay search for "Rubber Duck Ernie" and found several results. The duck you are talking about was produced by PlaySkool for many years. As a child in the 80's I recall having one. PlaySkool marketed the duck as "Ernie's Rubber Duckie" and it came in a cardboard box.

I think the main reason you don't find many for resale is because bathtub toys tend to grow mold over time. I recall my rubber duck had black spots and had to be thrown out. It happens as the glue on the bottom breaks and water gets inside.

superfan

Reaction score
SurfPark said:
I just did an eBay search for "Rubber Duck Ernie" and found several results. The duck you are talking about was produced by PlaySkool for many years. As a child in the 80's I recall having one. PlaySkool marketed the duck as "Ernie's Rubber Duckie" and it came in a cardboard box.

I think the main reason you don't find many for resale is because bathtub toys tend to grow mold over time. I recall my rubber duck had black spots and had to be thrown out. It happens as the glue on the bottom breaks and water gets inside.
Thank you so much! Now, as you were a child in the eighties and this particular type of duck was used in 1969...did PlaySkool really make them for that long of a time?

Completely agree with your second paragraph...