1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Rumor: Big Bird only in four Season 41 episodes

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by SSLFan, Mar 9, 2010.

1. RyGuy

RyGuy New Member

an interesting observation I've noticed is that over the years especally in places like Hoopers, Fix it shop etc.. is they hjave surprsingly never talked about money or coins or paying . SSi is sending a wrong message by not doing this . You need to pay for things/ services . Did big bird Pay for milkshakes at hooper's ? No . Should he , yes ? Gina had a tostwer fixed should she pay for it , yes . I undrstand SS's audenice is preschool but Alan could say : the porridge costs three doolar Baby bear .

I'd also like to see family dynamics more ( Gabi Maria and Luis talking over dinner ) Example Luis could ask how school was and instead of one word answer Gabi could say : We had a test, " luis : what was the hard part" more full conversations at meals.
  2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

And Alan apparently gave away flashlights during the hurricane instead of charging for them!

Actually Hooper's has charged money before. In the test pilots and the first episode characters put money into a can at Hooper's Store after purchasing newspapers from the store. I think David charged Gina for all the lemonaid she drank in the epsidoe where she ended up getting hired at Hooper's. And I remember an episode shortly after Mr. Handford was hired where Big Bird, Elmo, Telly, and the kids wanted to buy crayons and juice but only had enough money to buy one of the two.

And I've seen Luis pay Mr. MacIntosh for some of his food. And according to Muppet Wiki there was a season three episode where Big Bird took food from either Willy or Mr. MacIntosh without paying, and then got blackmailed by somebody named Bad Barney.
  3. Muppetplus

Muppetplus New Member

Bad Barney? Is that by any chance the annoying purple polyester dinosaur? :)
  4. minor muppetz

I (think I) know you're joking on that, but I'm sure it's not. That episode came from the early 1970s, and Barney was introduced in the late-1980s.

I assume that Bad Barney was an Anything Muppet. But unfortunately, that episode page was sourced from a CTW Archives program guide, not an episode that anybody has a copy of.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Over think much? Sesame Street has never mentioned money in those situations because they never HAD to. There are signs all over Hoopers (I don't know about recently, but they WERE there) that had the actual prices for things. But I'm sure kids ignored it. I always figures that the youngest members of the street DON'T get charged because they have an open tab that the adults usually pay.

Besides, who can forget that Wanda Falbo the Word Fairy segment where the "grocer" expects "pay" (that's another good word!)
  6. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

I can see it right now if a scenario were to take place for forgetting to pay for something at Hooper's Store.

Waiter: Hey buddy, you forgot to pay for your soda!
    Forgetful Jones: Woops, I for......
    Waiter: Ya, ya, you forgot because your name if Forgetful Jones and you always forget things. You need to get your act together pal!That stunt you did was cute 25 years ago, but not now. Go to a doctor and get that memory loss thing checked out!

*teaching children to remember to pay for something and also going to see a doctor if you're having problems with something basic like remembering!:search::batty::grouchy:
  7. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

*Ahem*

Well, getting back to the original topic at hand.

I recently read the toughpigs interview with Joey Mazzarino, and I must cut the guy some slack. As another post mentioned, every writer does have their weakness, and Joey has admitted that of all the characters, Big Bird was the one he had the most difficult "finding a voice" for (What are the odds? LOL). While I am still VERY upset over the situation at hand, I will give the guy the BOTD and be a little more lenient, after all it could have just been an honest mistake. And it is too late to change anything in the season now.

It sucks though, SW is not going into production NONE this year. Season 42 may not get filmed until sometime next year in 2011, unlike later this fall like they did last year with Season 41. The point: almost 2 more years of these lame "block format" episodes.:rolleyes: Hopefully Season 42 will deliver.
  8. Drtooth

Oh boy... I bet they moved the premier date up another 4 months again, leading to even longer periods of reruns. Wow. Way to kill the ratings PBS. :grouchy:
  9. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the fact that SS only produces 26 episodes a season now doesn't make it any better. If only SW were able to crank out AT LEAST 50-65 episodes, like Seasons 30-33.

Oh well, that's the economy for ya.
    :p
  10. Drtooth

PBS was screwing SW out of 50+ episodes when the economy was supposedly "good."

The long period of reruns wouldn't be all that bad if they didn't keep making it longer for some reason. Sure, Arthur can get away with having only 10 or less new episodes a season, splitting them in half in some cases... but that's because they have over 100 episodes to rerun over and over. They even have a contingency on rerunning select numbers of reruns.

SS doesn't. It's bad enough that you have so much repeated footage in a single season now, but you have to get through overaired reruns of the last season to get to them, AND they only show a third of new episodes at a time to stretch it for months. And they wonder why the ratings keep sinking. i don't even see how they can't fudge 26 more episodes out of pre-existing episodes with altered footage like they used to in the old days. It would at LEAST stretch the long and growing longer season of reruns out.
  11. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Since this rumor has already been confirmed by a source, shouldn't we take "Rumor" out of the threads title?
  12. That is another reason why I don;t like this new MURRAY MURRAY MURRAY format. One of the reasons why Big Bird was featured prominently in season 39 is that he did some of the "introducing the letter/number of the day" sketches. That was a great way for characters who maybe don't get a lot of screen time to be seen, the Bird being a prime example. Now that Murray does it all, most characters have no chance of being seen now.
    WE NEED MORE :wisdom:!
  13. Drtooth

I like Murray and I think the even Jim would be proud of the fact they're bringing Muppets out into the real world and talking to real people. And I want that to continue. However, they DON'T need to say "such and such segment is next" epsiecially since they only made a few of each, and reused it. Plus, having him close the show is a little much, again, because it's mostly reused and re-dubbed footage. But I kinda like him hosting the letter, word, and number.

The thing that gets me is there's less and less room for segments, be they old, new or whatever. The street stories are quite short (less than 15 minutes... barely 10 in some cases). And I still think the one elephant in the room is Elmo's World sitting at the end of the show for 15 minutes. There WOULD be a lot more room for said segments, rerunning older segments and filming new ones (with big Bird, Ernie, or what have you) if they trim a few things, make Abby's Flying School every other episode... cut some of the segment theme songs off... then we'd have a little more room.
  14. minor muppetz

What source has confirmed the rumor? I checked the last few posts before this and didn't find anything.
  15. mrfinch

mrfinch New Member

I find it hard to believe any of this would be the result of oversight. This is a meticulously researched show. Big Bird just isn't star material on today's Sesame Street. He's too subdued and not "cute" enough. They would never drop him, if only out of loyalty to Carroll and nostalgic parents everywhere, but it's the marketing and educational suits that run the show these days - not the Henson crew or the veteran puppeteers, as was once the case - and they don't have time for the Bird.

They don't really have any time for any of the more complex classic characters, but I suspect some endure even in the infant/toddler-centric incarnation due to their absolutely ingenious design. I'm looking at you, Ernie.
  16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I don't know why you guys keep citing Ernie as a sign of disappearing characters. Has he gone the way of Mumford? Or Leslie Mostly? or Don Music? No. They still use him and Bert on a regular basis. Just because he hasn't been in any new material the last few years doesn't mean he's gone forever. It's not like they don't want to make new E&B bits; there's just no time with Steve to do it in.
  17. Drtooth

When it comes down to performer availability, that's when some characters go on break for a while. Look at Frank Oz's characters. If it wasn't for Eric taking on Grover and Bert and David with Cookie, we wouldn't see them all that much either. Probably even less. And it's not like we haven't seen anything with the characters either. Some characters stood on the show for years as older inserts ONLY. We're still getting reruns of older Ernie and Bert sketches and the claymation shorts. Again, Ernie toys are still a big seller. I still see toy makers prefer Ernie over Bert, and we all have to remember, Ernie was the SECOND character to get a large singing dancing plush toy (Sing and Snore Ernie).

Steve's busy... John Tartaglia is busy... we DID see Ernie in the Will I Am song. So unless they only had Steve available to dub in a singing line and someone else puppeteered, there just as easily could be a new skit somewhere. The season isn't half over yet, so you never know what will pop up between now and the end of it.

Anything else screams budget problems. Something about Big Bird's lack of appearances calls out to both maintenance (it's a VERY expensive puppet after all) and to the lack of puppeteers available on a single day. Something tells me had they more money to keep more puppeteers on the payroll for a single day's shooting, we'd see Big at least walk by every so often and say "hi" to everyone, or Oscar popping out of his can to react to the scene... even if they don't have big roles or even lines in the episode. Now I understand where Carol's pay cut comes from. I'm sure a lot of other performers had to get paid much less due to them not being required as often. As for Kevin... heck, dude wears so many hats on the show, I'm not surprised to see someone else puppeteering him from time to time.
  18. zns

zns Active Member

Like I said, is there any way tht Sesame Workshop can fill us in on all of this here on the forum? Of course, they might not be permitted to do that. Maybe they could try to expalin Big Bird's popularity right now along with Elmo and how those two characters even out.
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Big Bird should actually host the show rather than Murray. After all, wouldn't it make more sense to see a classic character get all that screen time rather than an obscure character? Murray would serve better as just a background monster.
  20. Drtooth

I don't think ANYONE should host. Not Murray, not Big Bird, Not Sherlock Hemlock... sure as shooting not Elmo. I find the whole need for a host and the block format one of the biggest problems. Again, I'd keep Murray's word on the street, number and letter introductions and junk the rest.