1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Rumor: Muppets Stage Show

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by SSLFan, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

2. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

3. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

SSLFan beat me to it.

YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES! This is a confirmed rumor, according to Stitch Kingdom, (probably the most reliable online Disney fan website) that Disney HAS IN FACT made a fifteen minute segment seeing how the Muppets would work on stage.

I think they've been considering this ever since the great response from the Muppet's All-Star Comedy Gala last year in Montreal, (I still can't believe I missed it!) Remember when Disney bought the domain names MUPPETSONBROADWAY.COM and MUPPETSONTOUR.COM ? This must be it! Disney really wants to make this! Toughpigs reported that over a year ago, also via Stitch Kingdom.

I do hope this gets green-lighted in some way. If it's either a Broadway show, or a continuous travelling show, that would be amazing. :)

4. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Wait, are they talking a show with the characters we all know and love, or a show with a bunch of new Muppets?

5. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I hope this happens. It would be amazing to see all those characters live on stage "in the felt".

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  6. Muppet fan 123

Probably pre-recorded voices of the Puppeteers, with other Muppet puppets lip-syncing to it. I'm unsure how this would work..maybe it would just be a one-week thing?

7. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I would pay moneys to see this show

WillyThePig likes this.
  8. WillyThePig

WillyThePig Member

Would it be like those stupid sesame street live things with drunk people in costumes or are we talking real puppeteers and real puppets? And would it be this new kiddie stuff Disney has been pumping out of the muppets lately or would it be more like classic muppet show?

9. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea! Here's hoping I'd be able to get a ticket if it does happen.

10. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I think it could happen.

For this, I'd actually be in favor of understudies over pre-recorded voices. This is live theater, not a childrens' costume character song and dance revue. It should all be live and spontaneous.

That said, I think that each performance should have at least one anchor performer, like Steve, Bill or Eric, to shepherd the production. Of course I'd prefer all the original performers, but that really doesn't seem feasible for 8 shows a week. Not even for a limited run. The technical aspects of such a show would prove to be a feat for even a young performer.

Anyway, I'd love this to happen. Maybe they can do limited stints of this every few years. Like a special treat for faithful fans and general audiences.

Those are my thoughts.

11. Muppet fan 123

Don't you think it might be illegal to have a chicken dancing around on stage?

12. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

You're not a true Muppet fan.

13. Muppet fan 123

jvcarroll likes this.
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You are proof we need a dislike button.

Nuff said.

15. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

You know usually I'd be over the moon at this news, but the fact remains that I'll never see it even if it does go ahead. I live over the other side of the world and I doubt it will come to Australia. That be too convenient.

16. Drtooth

At the risk of bubble bursting, it sounds like there's a reason that this was an unrealized dream of Jim Henson's. The logistics are going to be a killer. But there is hope... it's not like this is the first ever Broadway Show using puppets as main characters. I agree... I can see smaller, limited runs that pop up every so often. I'm sure they'll try to get as many of the official performers as possible to at least perform once or twice.

There's a great opportunity here to perform some things from Muppets take Manhattan, even if they're just used as a passing reference.

Bliffenstimmers likes this.
  17. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

As much as I would love to see the Muppets on stage, I would be afraid that they would just use recorded vocals and have some random puppeteers play the characters. I would only pay for a show with the actual Muppet performers, not some puppeteers-for-hire.

"The Muppet Show Live" worked pretty well; I don't see why this couldn't.

SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  18. Muppet fan 123

Hey! Maybe it'll be a travelling show! Personally, I can't see this being on Broadway all the time. I'm sure they'll do travelling shows, just like they do now for current Broadway shows.

19. Drtooth

They would have to use understudies being a live stage show. If it was one performance, they could get all the performers no doubt. But if they have multiple performances in a certain period of time, they are going to have to have other puppeteers play the roles at some point. But something tells me, like the Muppet Cruise show, they'd go with seasoned professionals that have worked with Henson and Sesame Workshop before.

20. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I love this idea and think it can be done well. We'll see.