1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Rumor: Muppets Stage Show

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by SSLFan, Jun 11, 2013.

1. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

It's about time! I admit, I'm not a huge fan of people in a character costume, but at least it's something. I hope this new show will include the actual Muppets and their performers. I'd see the show in a heartbeat, if it would ever come near here (South Carolina).

We'll see how things work out during pre-production.

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

All indications state this is going to be live puppetry, not something akin to the Vee corporation traveling shows.

jvcarroll and muppetlover123 like this.
  3. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Who said this would be walkaround characters? Aside from the usual Muppet monsters, all signs point to the idea that this is will be classic puppetry.

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

No one is going to shell out Broadway ticket prices for a walkaround to a recorded track type show. I mean, how much is a SSLive ticket?

jvcarroll likes this.
  5. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

as soon as I was this I was happy hopefully Disney goes through with cause its a great idea and I would love to see it hopefully they even recreate the intro imagine that oh I want to see right now and the thought of it being classic puppetry is the icing on the muppet cake :)

6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the presentation tape. I guess I know what to add to my wishlist of bonus features on the Muppet Show Season Four (or five) DVD.

I wonder if they'll record a performance and put on on DVD or TV. Have any Broadway performances ever been recorded and released to the at-home public before? Are there strict Broadway union rules that would prevent such a release (which is what prevented the Carnegie Hall appearance from getting an official non-live release)?

7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Broadway shows, and even off broadway/retooling stage musicals and plays are never ever released on dvd. You basically either have to fly to NYC and see it or wait for a theatrical film(or try and find a camcorder bootleg online...I found one of Book of Mormon and Avenue Q)

Muppets on Broadway has been something talked about for a long time, I just never thought the idea would come to the stage it has. I'm hoping it would BRING BACK Jim Henson Company performers since they of anyone are used to regularly performing Muppets to live audiences.

I've flown to see the only two live Muppet shows ever done(Muppetfest Hollywood theater 2001 and Carnegie Hall Tribute to Jim Henson 2012) so ya can definitely bet I would definitely make it out to this even during a trial run, warts and all.

8. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

So would I...as well as the 2002 Fox show pitch, the single camera mockumentary pilots, and the American Idol spoof. Though not holding my breath on any of those.

9. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

They'd be actual Muppets, and live recordings...however due to the extensive schedule and performances needed by Whitmire and company, as fans we would have to understand the need for other people performing the characters. Disney does it with the Cruise shows and other Muppet performances. Though, truth be told I have not been too impressed with Whitmire's stand ins.

10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Apparently, all Broadway (and Off) shows are recorded at some point and can be viewed in some New York library (of the Performing Arts I think).

11. SkeetScootSquat

SkeetScootSquat Active Member

let me second that!

12. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Sorry for bumping this thread but does anyone think this Muppet Broadway thing is still in production for future release?

I am still looking forward to it if it is.

13. fozzieisfunny

fozzieisfunny Well-Known Member

If this did happen, why would they have live recordings??? Why can't they just pre-record it, so if one of the performers isn't available, they could just lip-synch to the pre-recordings??

14. jvcarroll

Because that defeats the purpose of live theater. It reduces the performance to a themepark attraction instead of a fine art piece. Don't get me wrong. Themepark attractions are cool. But theatergoers shouldn't shell out high ticket prices for two hours of lip syncing. I guess Madonna gets away with it, but that's another matter.

A limited run with primary performers having understudies is the right way to go.

15. fozzieisfunny

fozzieisfunny Well-Known Member

Hmm... yeah, I take that back. Because, after all, they will probably have a different script each time they do it..... well, hopefully. Because, I wouldn't go to see it 2 times, then!!

16. jvcarroll

That's kind of how live theater works. Lion King, Book of Mormon, Jersey Boys, they all use the same script for each performance. What makes each show unique is the different interpretation and energy put into each performance. Maybe they'll have a rotation of a few different guest stars and that could change things up a bit, but I wouldn't expect a different show every day.

That's to say, if they ever actually do this.

17. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

The New York Public Library actually films most Broadway (and off-Broadway) productions. So, if the Muppets ever did make it to 42nd street, there's a chance it'll get taped and you can watch it at the Library.

18. PigsInSpace2205

PigsInSpace2205 Active Member

Its on Muppets Wiki, they say that in Broadway let me find the link

19. PigsInSpace2205

PigsInSpace2205 Active Member

20. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Well I just wanna put my two sense in and say DO IT DISNEY, DO IT!!! Don't beat around the bush do it!!! That is all!

sofiasaldanha and FrackleFan2012 like this.