Rumor: Muppets Stage Show

animalrescuer

Reaction score
It's about time! I admit, I'm not a huge fan of people in a character costume, but at least it's something. I hope this new show will include the actual Muppets and their performers. I'd see the show in a heartbeat, if it would ever come near here (South Carolina).

We'll see how things work out during pre-production.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Who said this would be walkaround characters? Aside from the usual Muppet monsters, all signs point to the idea that this is will be classic puppetry.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No one is going to shell out Broadway ticket prices for a walkaround to a recorded track type show. I mean, how much is a SSLive ticket?

rowlfy662

Reaction score
as soon as I was this I was happy hopefully Disney goes through with cause its a great idea and I would love to see it hopefully they even recreate the intro imagine that oh I want to see right now and the thought of it being classic puppetry is the icing on the muppet cake :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd like to see the presentation tape. I guess I know what to add to my wishlist of bonus features on the Muppet Show Season Four (or five) DVD.

I wonder if they'll record a performance and put on on DVD or TV. Have any Broadway performances ever been recorded and released to the at-home public before? Are there strict Broadway union rules that would prevent such a release (which is what prevented the Carnegie Hall appearance from getting an official non-live release)?

beaker

Reaction score
Broadway shows, and even off broadway/retooling stage musicals and plays are never ever released on dvd. You basically either have to fly to NYC and see it or wait for a theatrical film(or try and find a camcorder bootleg online...I found one of Book of Mormon and Avenue Q)

Muppets on Broadway has been something talked about for a long time, I just never thought the idea would come to the stage it has. I'm hoping it would BRING BACK Jim Henson Company performers since they of anyone are used to regularly performing Muppets to live audiences.

I've flown to see the only two live Muppet shows ever done(Muppetfest Hollywood theater 2001 and Carnegie Hall Tribute to Jim Henson 2012) so ya can definitely bet I would definitely make it out to this even during a trial run, warts and all.

beaker

Reaction score
I'd like to see the presentation tape.
So would I...as well as the 2002 Fox show pitch, the single camera mockumentary pilots, and the American Idol spoof. Though not holding my breath on any of those.

beaker

Reaction score
As much as I would love to see the Muppets on stage, I would be afraid that they would just use recorded vocals and have some random puppeteers play the characters. I would only pay for a show with the actual Muppet performers, not some puppeteers-for-hire.

"The Muppet Show Live" worked pretty well; I don't see why this couldn't.
They'd be actual Muppets, and live recordings...however due to the extensive schedule and performances needed by Whitmire and company, as fans we would have to understand the need for other people performing the characters. Disney does it with the Cruise shows and other Muppet performances. Though, truth be told I have not been too impressed with Whitmire's stand ins.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Apparently, all Broadway (and Off) shows are recorded at some point and can be viewed in some New York library (of the Performing Arts I think).