Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

Gordon Universe

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of a Muppet Wizard of Oz very much, and I REALLY don't like the idea of them using the same music. What would be the point of that?

If they use the original music, it makes me think that the people involved said "Wouldn't it be really cute if the Muppets starred in Wizard of Oz?" instead of what they should've said "Wouldn't it be really FUNNY if the Muppets starred in Wizard of Oz?"

If they're going to do another classic book, they should go for a classic book that doesn't already have a film version that is a bigger peice of pop-culture than its book. Christmas Carol and Treasure Island have had several film versions made before, but none that stood out like a sore thumb the way the Wizard of Oz movie does.

I would be all for a movie that has a Wizard of Oz sequence - but not a whole movie.

Why not do the Wind in the Willows? or Alice in Wonderland? or the story of King Arthur?

Actually, I would love to see more movies where they play themselves, like TMM, MFS and VMX.

Though, as far as movies based on movies go, a muppet movie based on It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World would be rocking, in my opinoin.

Sorry if I contradict myself with that last statement.

Beauregard

Reaction score
So, has anyone heard anything new about this yet? Luke, Radionate, you two usually are good at picking up insider information? Secret Squirrel?

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
This may sound odd but how about a muppet version of the musical of "Oliver" or even just the story "Oliver Twist" or maybe a muppet version of willy wonka & The Chocolate factory.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
"they should go for a classic book that doesn't already have a film version that is a bigger peice of pop-culture than its book."

I agree. Not even Alice in Wonderland either. Something totally not covered by any other company.

Besides, why not be creative and just do a MUPPET MOVIE--why base it off of other films or books? Parodies are getting boring to me, and they 'time' a film. MFS will always be timed because of Hulk Hogan in it.

TMM is not timed because the stars didn't do anything that indicated what was going on at that time, like Hogan did in MFS--a VERY stinky cameo at that.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Well, the Muppets could always do a remake of "Meet the Parents" where Kermit can meet Piggy's estranged mother and stepfather.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Didn't they really do something like that on "Muppet Babies?" I'm referring to "Wizard of Oz" here, not "Meet the Parents." I also heard a song on MC Radio with the Muppets acting out the "Wizard of Oz" characters. That idea would be okay if it hadn't already been done.

Beauregard

Reaction score
drspy00 said:
This may sound odd but how about a muppet version of the musical of "Oliver" or even just the story "Oliver Twist" or maybe a muppet version of willy wonka & The Chocolate factory.
I agree that Oliver would be perfect. A human as Oliver, Kermit as the (not so) old gentleman, Miss Piggy as Rose, Fozzie as Dodger (who becomes nice), and Gonzo and Rizzo as hangers on with Oliver like int eh other clasics.

Obviously it would haev to be based on the book not the musical, as that is a very poor story line compared to the book, and hasn't been done on film many times.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gordon Universe said:
If they're going to do another classic book, they should go for a classic book that doesn't already have a film version that is a bigger peice of pop-culture than its book. Christmas Carol and Treasure Island have had several film versions made before, but none that stood out like a sore thumb the way the Wizard of Oz movie does.

Christmas Carol was done at least once by every fictional character ever...

ahem...
  • Mickey Mouse
  • The Flintstones
  • The Jetsons
  • Dino babies (but as a Birthday story)
  • Arthur (also as a Birthday story)
  • Mr. Magoo
  • Back to the Future the Animated Series
  • Animaniacs
  • Foxtrot (in a series of comic strips)
  • Black Adder

just to name a few... not to mention Scrooge, Scrooged, George C Scott, various animated versions and what not...

I think that if we do have to make a book story, maybe something really obscure and weird, like you said, not just the oldest trick in the book...

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Christmas Carol was done at least once by every fictional character ever...

ahem...
  • Mickey Mouse
  • The Flintstones
  • The Jetsons
  • Dino babies (but as a Birthday story)
  • Arthur (also as a Birthday story)
  • Mr. Magoo
  • Back to the Future the Animated Series
  • Animaniacs
  • Foxtrot (in a series of comic strips)
  • Black Adder

just to name a few... not to mention Scrooge, Scrooged, George C Scott, various animated versions and what not...

I think that if we do have to make a book story, maybe something really obscure and weird, like you said, not just the oldest trick in the book...
and All Dogs go to Heaven! "An all Dogs Christmas Carol"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hence the reason Muley and gang will NEVER do a Christmas Carol!!