?'s about Do De Rubba Duck.

PhsychoChimp

Reaction score
About Oscar being there, would you rather have a disembodied head of Big Bird doing the Ghetto Grouch Bounce?:wink: Oscar's clearly just there to dance. Look at him go. And what I can't figure out now, who's doing the REALLY deep voice? When ever someone comes on, you can hear it. And every character sings there part, and yet, no one has that deep of a voice..

ISNorden

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
The question I have is why was Oscar there? Taking a bath seems totally out of character for a grouch.

Elmo was there but he was in the hamper instead of the tub. If Oscar had been the one in the hamper with all the dirty clothes I would shake it off but the only type of bath a grouch should take is a mud bath.
Oscar's lyrics did mention one grouch-friendly aspect of taking "regular" baths: "make that bathtub ring". (I've never actually seen anyone leaving a ring around the tub, but it must happen sometimes...)

JLG

Reaction score
I figure Oscar takes one bath a year, and makes a real occasion out of it. He clearly enjoys dancing. :smile:

It seems pretty obvious to me that Frank Oz was not available when they were shooting this, which would explain the noticeable (and much-felt) absence of Grover and Cookie. Their not being there is all that keeps this little number from perfection.

Bert was clearly done by someone else.

Elmo had already assumed regular character status in 1986 (I think that's when this was shot), so it's no surprise he's there. If you notice, though, he's the only character without his own lyric.

I've always really wondered how, exactly, Ernie worded it when he invited everyone to this little get-together. Think about it...kind of an unusual party...:wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree Oscar being there is a little odd. But I don't mind Gladys, she more of the type to worry about looking good, lol. Plus, I like that about classic Sesame Street, that they had several characters to focus on, rather than one or two popular ones.

Drtooth

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I wonder if the producers originally intended for Elmo to be there. Of course, Elmo's voice can be heard in the chouras. Maybe the original plan was not to have Elmo in the skit, but then Kevin Clash chose to sing back-up in Elmo's voice, and then he was put in based on that. Or maybe Jim Henson had intended on having Elmo be a star and had him appear anyway, similar to how Rizzo was always there in the background hanging out with the main cast for years before he became a main character.
We can also say the song had more lyrics in its conception than the final product, which were cut due to the lenght of the song. Conceptually, they could have had more characters siging more line, but the end result wouldn't have been as good, and clunky sounding after a while.

Gladys may have been added because Richard Hunt had no other characters in there, and I feel Don Music or Forgetful Jones wouldn't have worked too well, since their jokes wouldn't fit in a stanza that small coherently.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Gladys may have been added because Richard Hunt had no other characters in there, and I feel Don Music or Forgetful Jones wouldn't have worked too well, since their jokes wouldn't fit in a stanza that small coherently.
That makes the most sense, that's probably how they judge most things. Yeah, Don Music would get stuck on a word and stop the song cold. That probably wouldn't work...

"Take a least one bath a...a...a...oh I'll never get it! Never! Why am I even in this sketch?? It should have been Grover!!" lol

PhsychoChimp

Reaction score
I think they should remake it somewhat. Add Grover, Cookie, and the rest of our loveable furry friends. And like, have Slimey dancing in the sink.