Sad news in the UK...

Beauregard

Reaction score
I hate to tell you thins guys, and to be the first to break the sad news, but I have heard froma VERY reliable source at JHC that the UK department is Closing Down as part of the new decisions of the Henson family.

All the staff are having to leave on Friday. It is a sad day in Muppet history.

Bea:frown:regard

Luke

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that bad stuff may be going down that affects Henson UK - not sure whether the news as reported here is actually fully 100% correct as to exactly whats happening. I'm sure we'll be hearing more over the next few days once people find out exactly whats going on.

One things for sure though, the Henson Kids being the ones to buy back the Muppets will certainly come at a price, and possibly this would be just the start - this is why Disney always were the best option even if there were some downsides. The UK side has been the most creative, and succesful over the last few years, with the most shows in production but also i guess very costly to run - it'd be like the Henson Company losing their left arm.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
This is certanly sad news you have brought to the Forum Beau, if it's true.
But on the other hand if it can help keep JHC afloat then it's something that must be done.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
But on the other hand if it can help keep JHC afloat then it's something that must be done.
Agreed, but if this is true, DANG. Beau, you say "the whole UK department." You mean the London offices AND the Creature Shop or were your "sources" unclear?

Beauregard

Reaction score
My souce states: decided not to continue with the UK side of the television group and in fact we leave on friday.

I think tha tis quite clear. I don't know if the Office is going to be shut, but from the person who I got this from I think it is.

Maybe Secret Squirel can help here.

Luke

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Agreed, but if this is true, DANG.
Exactly, i think that poster was under-estimating the importance of the UK side. They are the people who basically keep Henson afloat when the Muppets are in a 'down' period, so to lose that, it would probably be a decision made to keep the company even in business. They must have like zilcho money, so that says a lot for the future. Seems like they are planning to exist mainly on licensing and re-runs. What the "Source" said wasn't very clear - it could be taken a few different ways depending on how far up they are within the company, especially with regards to who is leaving.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, I don't know WHO is leaving but I know that it is at least a few NOTE "We leave on Friday."

It is sad, and I do think that they have Zilcho money. They gave it all to EMTV. Maybe it would be best if they sold to Disney now.

*sigh*

Bea:sympathy:regard

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, now, everybody is watching their half-full glass empty right out! Don't be so quick to foresee doom.

Maybe it's all just layoffs for now, until they get things back on track. They just got the company back, and they'll have to make some cutbacks to get where they need to be.

I figure it like this: We as fans of the JHC have the power to make or break them, so whatever products they offer (tv, film, merchandise) we need to support them and 'sell' it off to our friends to get them to watch/buy it!

Disney doesn't have to be the 'save-all' idea, and could be a very last-ditch effort to stay afloat in the long-run. However, I don't see these terrible turn of events as a means to an end, but as a means to regenerate a company.

After all, had EM.TV actually gone bankrupt, where would JHC have been then? At least now we have the whole company (Minus the SS characters) back with the Henson Five under family rule where it should have stayed to begin with.

It's just my opinion, but we just saw all these things go down. We'll have to give it time. It's up to JHC now to provide the fans what they want, and their best bet is to get more involved in fan communities (ie, MC and TP) and, like Palisades, find out what we want and expect and deliver!