1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sam the Eagle as Samuel Arrow action Figure

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by Drtooth, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

link at www.toughpigs.com/images/figs04samarrowsculpt.jpg .

I like the sculpt so far, but his legs seem..well...short! It looks like he's part muppet, Part Charlie Brown character. Not that I'm complaining mind you, I really want a Sam T Eagle. Are his legs really that short! I mean, I haven't seen any other full body pictures of him. I think his legs should be just a quarter of an inch taller. It just doesn't look right.

But Cool figure, all and all!
  2. Joe

Joe New Member

he looks ok to me, but then again I havn't seen enough of the muppets (recently) to be able to tell for sure. but aren't birds legs(claws, whatever..) usually shorter?

Joe
    (who is a club member, so his computer didn't explode when he loaded the image ;) )
  3. Drtooth

Well, I'm not too sure! I mean, Sam is a cartoonish sort of bird, and cartoons seldom look like the real versions (check out the Tazmanian Devil and a real Taz manian devil). Even if he's supposed to look like this, it just..doesn't seem right some how. In fact, I always hought his bird's feet would be blue.
  4. Joe

Joe New Member

that's why it looks strange! his feet aren't blue! I always assumed they would be, since his beak is blue. hmm.. I think I like the regular color feet better.
  5. GWGumby

GWGumby New Member

Did toughpigs get permission to post this pic? I thought it was for Collector's Club members only. I thought Ken asked someone using Sam as an avatar to remove it because of this.
  6. Ol' Buddy Bert

Ol' Buddy Bert New Member

Regardless of permission...

I think it looks pretty accurate. You get a pretty good look at Sam's full body in MTI. I was surprised and a little bemused because I don't think we ever saw it up until that point.

I think his feet are rather charming. All of his bravado and stuffiness and then these little feet underneath supporting it all.
  7. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

no, not an eagle, how do you think they would be able to swoop up fish with short legs, they bend in when they are flying...this has nothing to do with Sam, because Sam is nothing like a real eagle, but i feel his legs are a little too short too, they seem a bit larger on MTI when his legs can be seen are are the yellow color, but it's a great sculpt and he will be tall, i just keep looking at the fig like he will be as big as gonzo, but he will be a tall fig, so that's good. if they can fix the legs that would be great, but if not he still will be one of the best looking figs.
  8. ResidentLilly

ResidentLilly Active Member

We sculpted the legs in accordance with all the reference and size/proportion shots that Henson gave us. It is accurate to that.

I did ask the person with the avatar to remove it and even contacted another site asking them to take the image down.
  9. Luke

Luke Active Member

I think it's absolutely perfect - pretty much one of the best sculpts i've seen from Palisades and i've not always been crazy about every single thing they've done. I just hope it looks the same once it's mass produced as an action figure.
  10. bc-fraggle

bc-fraggle New Member

Sam looks great to me. For some reason I like his tail the best! It makes me chuckle... strange but it is true. Dare I even say it... his tail makes him look cute! I think he did have rather short legs... MTI as already mentioned featured Sam from the waist down. For his feet, look at them when he is in the small boat. (the very safe boat... or something like that, I think he calls it) I think that when he is in the boat( row boat ) you get a good look at his feet. I'll have to check it out again.

Sam is a definate buy for me, especially if the pictured Sam is the one we are getting, or close to it.
  11. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

I too think his legs are perfect, and he is in an "exceptionally safe little boat!" in the movie :D

sorry about commenting on an "illegal" pic...at least i joined the collector's club now!
  12. Drtooth

Ken, uh.. am I going to get in trouble for showing this? I mean someone did put it on their site and all. But anyway, I'd think his legs were a tad longer than that! kind of like the cast of Chicken Run
    www.aardman.com/images/showcase/chicken.jpg

sort of like that!
  13. Luke

Luke Active Member

Sams not a chicken though - Eagles are much differently shaped birds. In making a likeness of a Muppet Eagle - i think Ken has it right. If he did something similar to the Aardman chickens then Sam would look more chickeny - kepping them short makes them look more solid and regal like Sam should be.
  14. Drtooth

I know, but sam doesn't look like an eagle either. We are told he is an Eagle, so he becomes an Eagle. If his name was Sam the Chicken, we'd believe he was a chicken! But looking at the conceptual art on the TP site (of the PVC's) It does look alright in cartoon form, it's just unnatural in plastic form. But it is a preliminary, it may change over the process.
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Sam is right.

We all thought Sam had blue feet until a few years ago. Why? Well, because his beak is blue. It's the same idea of having your belt match your shoes. LOL! Not until MTI have we seen Sam's feet and still some fans object to the notion. However, that's what the Henson Company chose. His body is also rather short. Here is a picture of him seated, but you can plainly see how short his feet are - and how yellow too! I am sure that Palisades referenced this and other images for the sculpt and coloring.

Here is the picture of Sam
  16. Drtooth

Well, smack me with a handle! It was so darn obvious. I was really jostled when I first saw his legs too. It was so weird. He has real Bird feet (more or less) and he's got a fake Beak! Odd!

I wonder if this makes the figure unstable when he stands up!
  17. ResidentLilly

ResidentLilly Active Member

Hey Dr.Tooth...don't worry about it....no biggie. It;s out, there isn't a lot we can do about it now...comment all you want.
  18. Luke

Luke Active Member

Isn't there a 'not for reproduction' line in the club newsletter copyright notices ? I'm not sure if it'd stop some sites but i'm guessing with Danny there was some confusion and he probably didn't realise.
  19. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

Jamie

Thanks for posting that picture Jamie, i think you mean his legs right? because I think the feet are fine on the fig, but you can tell that there IS a bit of leg under his pants too that can't be seen, now i don't know on the fig, but are his hips (which would be blue) right at the line of the end of his pants, i think there should be a little yellow leg under the pants, but i can't tell because i can't really see. i feel discgusting talking about Sam this way....

well anyways when we get a reg sam i think it would look right then because then more of the leg would be seen, i mean does sam have nee's because that might be what just seems funny, but it may just be the way sam is. if his legs are a bit longer under his pants then i think it would be just right then.

Zack)Rowlf the, Sam the, American nee-less, Eagle,Dog.
  20. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

I think Sam looks GREAT--and I was initially skeptical about making him the "Sam Arrow" version. I love the texturing on his hands especially---catching that boundary between fur and feathers that the puppet has must have been tricky, but it looks great!

Quinnnnnnn