San Jose Book Signing ... It was Great!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
My mom & I were 20 minutes late (One of the disadvantages of not being able to drive!), but got to Hicklebee's in time to see the last few minutes of the Q & A session. Although I was kinda angry for not being able to see the entire thing, at least we were there. Boober_gorg was also there, and he mentioned that at the Berkley signing, he had recorded the whole event with his digital camera, and he'd be willing to make copies for anyone who wants one. So ... may I be the first one here to request one, Mr. Gorg? :smile:

Afterwards, the giant rush to purchase books began. Only problem was: there were no books! Only bookplates, which we could get signed and than put in the books when they came in later in the week. But, about ten minutes after I had purchased my bookplates, there was an announcement that there would be a new shipment of books arriving in twenty minutes and that we could choose to either have our bookplate or book signed. Obviously, I wanted my book signed; so while half the crowd seemed content with autographed plates, I waited patiently with the other half for the new shipment.

To make a long story short -- he is really nice (The book signing was up some steps, so for me, he came down to the side to shake my hand & autograph the books). He spoke a few lines in his trademark Big Bird voice, which is really amazing to see; and at the end of his speech at the beginning, he took out Oscar and spoke a few lines in his voice. After the event, I mentioned to my mom how amazing it is that after 34 years, and nearing age 70, Carroll Spinney can still perform these characters with the same amount of energy and passion. Plus, he looks "great" for his age (Well, I'm sure that moving around in a heavy bird suit for three and a half decades has something to do with it!). He actually looks more fit than Jim did in his later years, which is amazing to me.

All in all, it was a great time. :big_grin: :smile: For those who couldn't make it to a signing, I have nothing but :sympathy: for you