Saturday Morning memories thread

Xerus

Reaction score
Who here has memories of the joy of Saturday Mornings? :smile:

Every Friday Night after a tough week of school, I'd get to bed early so I could wake up early to see my Saturday Morning favorites and forget all my cares and worries.

And every year in September, I would look forward to those Saturday Morning preview shows and get excited about what I'm about to see.

These were the shows I loved every Saturday when growing up.

H.R. Pufnstuf, Bugaloos, Lidsville, The Osmonds, Yogi's Gang, Uncle Croc's Block, Laff-A-Lympics, Yogi's Space Race, Bay City Rollers Show, Heathcliff and Dingbat, Smurfs, Pac Man, Saturday Supercade, Muppet Babies, Wuzzles, Pee Wee's Playhouse, The Comic Strip, Alf Tales, Garfield and Friends, Captain N The Game Master, Beetlejuice, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Eek the Cat, Phantom 2040, Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim, Channel Umptee-3, Pokemon.

And I remember each of the 3 major networks had their theme for Saturday Mornings. CBS was known as the Starcade in the 80's. NBC called themselves Saturday Morning Fever during the 70's. And in the 70's, ABC called their line-up, Funshine Saturday and then All-Star Saturday.

And then in the 90's came the new Fox Kids and a few years later came Kids' WB.

But now Fox Kids is called 4Kids TV and Kids' WB is going to change into the CW4kids very soon. ABC seems to show only Disney Channel reruns, NBC is showing shows from a network called Qubo, and DIC is now in charge of CBS Saturdays.

And now here's a commercial from 1972 about the SM lineup for ABC. It's really great and heartwarming. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJEHBbkUo9o

Kiki

Reaction score
If you were were a child of the early 90s-early 21st century and you lived in Aus, it would be likely that you would've watched 'Saturday Disney'. It's was a program on channel 7, and it showed popular Disney cartoons, including 'Hercules' (the series), 'Goof Troop', 'Darkwing Duck', 'Gargoyles', 'Bonkers', 'Winnie the Pooh', etc and later on, when I was about in grade 1, there was 'House of Mouse', 'Recess', '101 Dalmations' (the series), 'Peper Ann', 'P, B & J', and more. saturday Disney started in 1990 and is still going today. Nowadays, it has shows like 'Kim Possible', 'Brandy and Mr. Whiskers', 'Hannah Montana' and some more-recent cartoons. After Saturday Disney, there was also 'Saved by the Bell' and various Warner Bros. cartoons, including 'Animaniacs'. I remember watching these shows with my older brother, and even though some of them were aired when I was, like, four or even three I can still remember them quite cleary- they bring back really good memories.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Who here has memories of the joy of Saturday Mornings? :smile:

Every Friday Night after a tough week of school, I'd get to bed early so I could wake up early to see my Saturday Morning favorites and forget all my cares and worries.

And every year in September, I would look forward to those Saturday Morning preview shows and get excited about what I'm about to see.

These were the shows I loved every Saturday when growing up.

H.R. Pufnstuf, Bugaloos, Lidsville, The Osmonds, Yogi's Gang, Uncle Croc's Block, Laff-A-Lympics, Yogi's Space Race, Bay City Rollers Show, Heathcliff and Dingbat, Smurfs, Pac Man, Saturday Supercade, Muppet Babies, Wuzzles, Pee Wee's Playhouse, The Comic Strip, Alf Tales, Garfield and Friends, Captain N The Game Master, Beetlejuice, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Eek the Cat, Phantom 2040, Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim, Channel Umptee-3, Pokemon.

And I remember each of the 3 major networks had their theme for Saturday Mornings. CBS was known as the Starcade in the 80's. NBC called themselves Saturday Morning Fever during the 70's. And in the 70's, ABC called their line-up, Funshine Saturday and then All-Star Saturday.

And then in the 90's came the new Fox Kids and a few years later came Kids' WB.

But now Fox Kids is called 4Kids TV and Kids' WB is going to change into the CW4kids very soon. ABC seems to show only Disney Channel reruns, NBC is showing shows from a network called Qubo, and DIC is now in charge of CBS Saturdays.

And now here's a commercial from 1972 about the SM lineup for ABC. It's really great and heartwarming. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJEHBbkUo9o
You are a generation Xer after my own cartoon watching heart! I too grew up with fond recollections of the Sid and Mary Krofft school of Saturday morning puppetry (rough around the edges though it was!).

Some of MY favorite Saturday morning memories from childhood were waking up at five a.m., eating cold pizza from the night before and watching local programming, usually a rerun of some old obscure PBS show from the 70's, sometimes Romper Room, New Zoo Revue or, by the mid 80's, the original Kids Incorporated.

When I was very young (late 70's) I enjoyed Liddsville, HR Pufnstuf, and especially the work of Hanna Barbera studios, who basically owned Saturday mornings. I loved Laff-a-lympics, Hong Kong Fooey, Captain Caveman and whichever incarnation of Scooby Doo was airing at the time. I also enjoyed the Ruby Spears shows like Plastic Man, Rickety Rocket, Heathcliff and Marmaduke and Thundarr The Barbarian. I even enjoyed, to a lesser extent, Filmation's offerings, like their take on Mighty Mouse/Heckle and Jeckle, Fat Albert, the original Count Duckula, and Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam.

By the 80's, I loved Smurfs, Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Wuzzles, Gummi Bears, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Saturday Supercade, Pac Man, The Real Ghostbusters, Ewoks, My Pet Monster and Beetlejuice.

Man, thanks so much for giving us children of the old school Saturday mornings such a great topic to wax on about!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
And Garfield and Friends, Mother Goose and Grimm and The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show! I can't leave them out!

Xerus

Reaction score
Not me... when I was growing up, we had CABLE, so Saturday mornings weren't special.
Yes, it did seem like when cable stations like Nickelodeon, Disney, and Cartoon Network started airing new cartoons on certain days of the week, Saturday mornings of today just don't seem the same anymore.

But I'll always still remember my glory days of Saturday mornings. You saw what ABC Saturday mornings was like in 1972, now here's NBC's SM line up for 1972.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ptgw2kFyUs

Xerus

Reaction score
You are a generation Xer after my own cartoon watching heart! I too grew up with fond recollections of the Sid and Mary Krofft school of Saturday morning puppetry (rough around the edges though it was!).

Some of MY favorite Saturday morning memories from childhood were waking up at five a.m., eating cold pizza from the night before and watching local programming, usually a rerun of some old obscure PBS show from the 70's, sometimes Romper Room, New Zoo Revue or, by the mid 80's, the original Kids Incorporated.

When I was very young (late 70's) I enjoyed Liddsville, HR Pufnstuf, and especially the work of Hanna Barbera studios, who basically owned Saturday mornings. I loved Laff-a-lympics, Hong Kong Fooey, Captain Caveman and whichever incarnation of Scooby Doo was airing at the time. I also enjoyed the Ruby Spears shows like Plastic Man, Rickety Rocket, Heathcliff and Marmaduke and Thundarr The Barbarian. I even enjoyed, to a lesser extent, Filmation's offerings, like their take on Mighty Mouse/Heckle and Jeckle, Fat Albert, the original Count Duckula, and Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam.

By the 80's, I loved Smurfs, Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Wuzzles, Gummi Bears, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Saturday Supercade, Pac Man, The Real Ghostbusters, Ewoks, My Pet Monster and Beetlejuice.

Man, thanks so much for giving us children of the old school Saturday mornings such a great topic to wax on about!
Oh your welcome. :smile: I too like cold pizza when watching Saturday mornings. Garfield and Friends and cold pizza were a great combination back then. :smile:

And when I was younger, I enjoyed my SM cartoons with either donuts, Pop Tarts, or cereals like Cocoa Puffs, Peanut Butter Crunch, Lucky Charms, and Froot Loops.

Xerus

Reaction score
And Garfield and Friends, Mother Goose and Grimm and The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show! I can't leave them out!
Yes, I too loved Mother Goose and Grimm also from the same studio that brought us Garfield and Friends. And Charlie Brown and Snoopy were great on Saturday mornings. I think we need more cartoons based on comic strips so we can bring the joys of Saturday mornings once again.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Yes, I too loved Mother Goose and Grimm also from the same studio that brought us Garfield and Friends. And Charlie Brown and Snoopy were great on Saturday mornings. I think we need more cartoons based on comic strips so we can bring the joys of Saturday mornings once again.
Or we also need the specials or what have you of those classics to keep airing in order to keep those characters in people's minds and memories (because once Shultz died, Peanuts essentially went with him, save the once-in-a-blue-moon special presentation, which is rare nowadays).