Saving the Dream

christyb

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thanks to Super Scooter for well giving me this idea..also to the fact that the semester is over and I have time to write. Destiny is on a hiatus until further notice...sorry guys. Also I'll warn you...you might wanna raid Lisa for your teddies. You'll need them.

*******:smile:******* :smile:******* :smile:*******​

Chapter One

Morning sounds echoed throughout the Muppet Boarding house. Clucks, meeps, and muffled “Good Mornings” added to the pounding inside Kermit’s green head. Groggily he turned over and read the clock. It read 9:00 a.m. He never slept this late. No wonder the house was quiet. Well as quiet as could be for the Muppets. Kermit groaned and rubbed his neck grimacing.

The house was pretty much empty by the time Kermit made his way downstairs. Rowlf sat at the piano working on his playing. It had been a long road back from the cheese incident. In the kitchen the Swedish Chef clattered and clanged as he cleaned the kitchen. Robin sat on the fireplace hearth untangling Christmas lights.

Kermit thanked the Chef as he placed Kermit’s breakfast in front of him on the table. Rowlf stood up, grabbed his cup of coffee and joined Kermit at the table, “You never shoulda switched to decaf. Headache?”

“Morning, Rowlf. That must be it. My shot at trying to be a healthier frog. A couple of Tylenol and I should be fine,” Kermit said sipping his coffee while watching his breakfast run from his plate. He needed to remember to remind the Chef to stop using Muppet food for meals.

“Anyways, everyone’s at the theatre. Also, Regis called wondering if you’d come on the show next week to promote your book. Then there’s the meeting with Disney this afternoon about the possibility of a new TV show.
There’s the press conference today also Oh yeah and the script for the Christmas show at the theatre..you haven’t finished it…and that’s just what Scooter told me to remind you,” Rowlf smiled getting himself a refill of coffee.

“Is that all? Does that mean there’s more?” Kermit said taking the two Tylenol for his pounding head.

“Well Piggy said don’t forget about dinner tonight…”

“What dinner?”

“Apparently you have a date my friend”

“Not with that Pig.”

“Don’t let her hear you say that. Anyways, Fozzie said that if you’re not feeling well just go to bed early tonight and you don’t have to spend time with him?”

“Huh? Oh Friday’s with Fozzie…no I’m fine it’s only a little headache.”

“And I say you should go back to bed. There’s a lot of sickness going around and that flu bug is a killer this year. We don’t want you getting sick,” Rowlf said eyeing Kermit.

“I’ll be fine. I do need you to do one thing for me,” Kermit took another sip of coffee and looked Robin who was pretending to be busy.

“What’s that?” Rowlf asked turning his head to see that the little frog was listening in on the conversation.

“Don’t go to practice today and take Robin to buy a Christmas tree. We haven’t bought ours yet,” Kermit said as Robin came bouncing towards the table.

“Really? Oh I can’t wait! Rowlf when can we go buy it? When huh? Can we get a big one? Last years was so tiny! Can we buy new lights half of our old ones don’t work. Then can we decorate outside? This is the first Christmas we’re spending here in a long time and I want it pretty for when my Mom and Dad get here!” Robin bounced and squealed.

“Looks like I’m spending all day on a ladder. I know my piece for the Christmas show anyway. Run upstairs and get your coat.” Rowlf said and Robin took off singing “Jingle Bells”

Hours later Kermit’s headache had lessened but a fever had replaced it. He took some cold meds and kept going. In the quiet of the boarding house Kermit had finished the script for the Christmas show and called Regis planning on an appearance next Monday. He had even called his Mom and Dad arranging their train tickets from Leland to Hollywood, CA and the boarding house. The meeting had went as well as to be expected considering he was battling with Disney.

The Muppets were tired of being on the shelf and they wanted to be able to make people happy again. Disney their new boss wanted them to stay on the shelf. It was no surprise that the latest meeting ended with nothing getting done and a press conference happening outside.

Kermit stood in the men’s room splashing water on his face. The cool water felt good against his warm skin. His conscience told him that Rowlf was right. He should have taken the day off. Then again who would have taken care of all these details? After all it was only a little cold.

Outside the board of Disney Corporation, Mickey, and Kermit stood amongst television cameras, photographers, and reporters. Kermit knew what his purpose there was. He was to stand there like Mickey and just smile. Normally that would have bugged him and he would have wanted to answer the questions about the Muppets. Today however he was content with just standing..that was if the ground would stop spinning.

Meanwhile, everyone had stopped decorating the Muppet Theatre for Christmas and stopped to watch the live press conference.

“Boy he looks a little green, “ Gonzo remarked watching Kermit.

“But isn’t he always green?” Fozzie asked.

“If he’s not green what color is he now?” Beauregard stopped mopping and inquired.

“He means he doesn’t look well you dimwits! Oh poor Kermie. He must’ve caught moi’s teensy little cold,” Miss Piggy sniffed and put her handkerchief
up to her nose.

“That’s what he gets for hanging out with a pig,” Clifford cracked.

“Watch it!” Piggy growled.

On the other side of town Rowlf and Robin loaded Christmas lights and onto the register at Lowe’s. Up in the corner a television played the press conference. Robin and Rowlf watched anxiously with the cashier.

“I hope it’s good news for you guys,” the cashier said.

“Thanks..uh….,” Rowlf took a quick glance at the nametag, “Justin. We’re
shooting for a new show or movie. So far no luck though. Gee Kermit looks like he feels rotten there. I told him to take the day off. Looks like don’t even need him up there.”

“Rowlf look!” Robin pointed to the television and gasped.

At the press conference the ground beneath Kermit’s feet swayed and rose up to meet him. In moments everything went black with the whole world watching.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Quick, before the shock sets in- you referenced me! The cheese thing! Say Cheese! Yayful-SQUEE-and-thank-you!

<stares>

...<and stares>...

...<and stares>...

<Shakes it off> Okay so the nice long list Rowlf had to remind Kermit of was very happy. I especially like the comments on a date with Piggy, the mention of Friday's with Fozzie (He is SUCH a sweet bear) and, probably most of all, gee big surprise considering who's talking here, but I LOVE Rowlf taking Robin shopping for a Christmas tree! Oh and he's so happy right away and all the stuff with half the lights not working and last year's tree was tiny and it's just YAAAAAY!

Next up. Kermit's stess with the Disney meeting was very well done, with the shelf and the cold water and the details and "just a little cold" and the press conference afterwards, with the ground spinning...

Discussion of Kermit and the color green. Excellent.

Rowlf and Robin at the hardware store...

<resumes staring>

...Something tells me, Kermit, that it's not just a little cold. ...Gosh I worry for Robin having seen Kermit fall. Heck, I worry for Kermit! WHAT THE HEY IS GOING ON???

MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Almost forgot- <drags in the Teddy Bin>

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ok, first of all, FAN FIC!!! YEA!!!! It seems like we're going through a dry spell in terms of fan fiction, so I'm happy to see a new one.

Second of all, great stuff, nice nods to Lisa's Say Cheese story as well as recent events that Kermit has been out doing such as Regis and Kelly and even the Fridays with Fozzie portion of Before You Leap. And wonderful job addressing the current state of the Muppets and Disney...

Third of all, my heart is racing after reading the last line. I can tell this is going to be intense. I've got my teddy. And my Red Fraggle plushy. I'm ready. Bring it on.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oy... So much to get through Sis.

First of all, ditto to most of what the others have said already.
References...

Rowlf recovering from the Cheese incident, from Say Cheese!
*Ahem, Lisa, don't you think we deserve an update?
Fridays with Fozzie, I know that was used somewhere else, unsure if it was Don't Trip The Driver.
*Cough, Ryan... Update that one too please.
Appearance with Regis from last week.

Loved the banter between Kermit and Rowlf, and the dialogue back at the theater.

Kind of makes me doubt what I was planning to post here in the fic section.
To that end, Christy, if you see this... We can talk about it.
And also Beth, your PM box's full so I sent you an E-mail. LMK if you got it, cause I kinda know what I wanna do but I'm unsure at this point if I should go ahead and do it.

Hope to hear from my cyber-sis and my Minnesota cousin.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Ooh my goodness! YAY! New story, so gripping! Wonderfully Christmassy! YAYAYAY!!!!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Only problem I have with this story is... My sis won't be here posting regularly. So updates to this will be just as random, if not moreso, than updates to Bo's Muffins or Lisa's works of fanfictionness. Only authors I can count on for updates recently are Catherine and, well, li'l cuz shouldn't you update Prediciment?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh wow, like I can't believe no one remembered Justin, rully!
But seriously, it looks to be a great beginning to a wonderful story, and I can't wait to see what will happen to poor Kermit!
:smile:
:sympathy:

christyb

Reaction score
Hi guys! Thanks for the kind comments. I'm working on chapter two...but slowly unfortunately. You see my carpal tunnel has flared up again and typing hurts like the dickens. So I have to only do a paragraph or two at a time. My wrist is already starting to feel better so I should have another chapter for you by the time I get here next. (later on in the week) until then feel free to chat and muffin however you wish.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ooh, she's giving us permission to muffin? Now that's dangerous....
MUFFIN MUFFIN MUFFIN MUFFIN. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I hope your carpul tunnel settles down a little bit. My mother-in-law actually had surgery for that. So, take your time writing and I hope to see an update when you're able of this fantastic story!