Scenes from my imaginary Fraggle Video Game

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Author's Note: This is not a real game. This fic won't address the more free-roaming and stuff parts. It will be more like a series of cut scenes.

After the Playstation 3 logo disappears, the familiar Fraggle theme song begins playing as the camera starts to move down a long tunnel where the developer and publisher logos pop up, either in a swarm of glowing ditzies or as small billboards along a Doozer track. Tiny ditzies have been just ahead of the camera and zoom through the opening to the Great Hall. Just as the initial chorus begins, the darkened Great Hall lights up to reveal a large cavern, easily at least a football field-sized area, filled with hundreds of Fraggles welcoming the player in song and dance. As their part is finishing up, Doozer towers are quickly built up framing the shot and the Doozers sing their verse, while some Fraggles begin eating the constructions, specifically the Fraggle Five. The Doozers can be seen cheering enthusiastically as the constructions get eaten.

The camera shoots up the Great Hall through the well, where Junior, surprised, grabs the camera (the image is briefly out of focus at the beginning, as the sudden sunlight and the largeness of the Gorgs is rather disorientating) ... "Look, Ma, a Fwaggle!" ... she freaks, and he drops the camera back into the Fraggle Pond with a great splash. The Fraggles applaud "your" dive and sing the last verse. The initial menu then appears as Boober finishes the song with his final depressed line, at which a large Fraggle Rock logo appears above the menu.
When a menu item is selected, ditzies make it glow. The game itself is wide-screen.

The Rock Awaits

Character Fraggle (the player would choose the gender, appearance and the name) awakens in her room. It is a small cave with a "window" overlooking the Great Hall (opposite Red and Mokey's cave), a small nook where your bed linens lie in a crumpled heap, and various objects scattered on a set of shelves carved into the rock wall.

As Character gets out of bed, she notices a small vial placed nearby. Character picks it up and a voice-over of Boober can be heard, as well as a translucent overlay of his face appearing above the vial. He notes proudly, "This will get that awful pebble pox cleared up in no time!" He pauses, his voice becoming more depressed. "Of course, once you get better and can move around, you'll probably end up getting sick or injured again. If I were you, I'd probably just stay in bed for eternity. Then again, you'd probably starve. I'd wish you good luck, but your case might be fascinatingly hopeless. Signed, Boober Fraggle."

[Once the player gains control, exploring the room will reveal a get-well-soon painting by Mokey, some small exercise equipment (such as handles connected to springy vines) from Red, a map from Gobo, a note from Wembley apologizing for not being able to decide what to give you, and an invitation from Large Marvin to join him at a luncheon buffet. Each item would display a translucent picture of the Fraggle, but the messages would be text.]

Meeting Mokey

[Character has been freely exploring the Great Hall and a few nearby tunnels, participating in a tutorial of sorts consisting of musical/dancing mini-games, Fraggle sports, etc. Tunnels to the cave with all of the Outer Space portals, Doc's Workshop/Apartment, and the Gorg's Garden are not yet available. By mere chance, Character has stumbled upon Mokey and Red's room.]

Red's hammock and exercise equipment are on the left, Mokey's small bed and easel are on the right, and Lanford is in a nook in the middle of the back wall. One window overlooks the Fraggle Pond, while another window overlooks the rear of the Great Hall. Character finds Mokey humming dreamily as she puts new soil in Lanford's pot.

Mokey, startled, smiles and nods, continuing to assist Lanford. "Oh, hi, uh ...." She shakes her lowered head, embarrassed. "I'm sorry. It's just that I've been so busy watering Lanford and getting him some new soil that I haven't been able to remember your name." She giggles briefly.

[Conversation options appear in text below, such as "Introduce yourself," or "I'll just come back later when you're not busy."]

Introduce yourself: Mokey nods and laughs with recognition. "Oh, that's right! You're the one that caught the pebble pox not too long ago. I hoped you liked that painting I drew for you. Sometimes seeing just four cave walls can be so emotionally draining. I'm so happy you're back on your feet!" She stops tending to Lanford, wiping her hands on her robe. "You wouldn't do me a big favor, would you? I'm going to be drawing a large mural later, but I need some reference items for my painting. It would be so nice of you to pick up some things for me."

Offer to come back later: Mokey seems confused, but shrugs and tends to Lanford. Suddenly, just before Character leaves, she gasps and rushes over to you. "Before you go, I have a big favor to ask: Would you help me get some reference items? I'm supposed to start work on a large mural later, but I need some items for my still life. I mean, you don't have to, but tending to Lanford is taking a wee bit longer than I thought," she says.

[When Character regains control, he or she can choose to agree or disagree with this "mission". However, it remains unlocked, should the player want to pick it up at a later time, though depending on how long you take, other Fraggles have apparently helped get some things on her list (the easiest things), leaving you stuck with more challenging items.]

To be continued...

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
Cute idea. I like the idea of a fraggle game. If they released on for the Nintendo DS Lite, I would go and get it immediately, if not sooner.

Your powers of description are really good, you really put me right in the middle of the action. I've never read a story like this with a game, but I like the idea, and it gears me up to start reading your big story.

I know that a lot of people overuse the words, you're an amazing writier, but you really are good at the craft. You have a way of putting me right in the middle of everything and I have not read too many writers who can do that.

Good job, and I'm looking forward to reading your bigger story. Hopefully I can follow it, even if I'm not as muppet-ly educated as you are. :big_grin:

Happy writing and do continue with this. Would love to read where it is going to go next.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Wow ... thanks!

This is more of a project that I'll work on when I don't have a lot of time (since cut-scenes shouldn't take too long to write :stick_out_tongue:) or when my big fic has left me with writer's block.

The big fic has plenty of links to help with the "education", so no worries. One link I know of doesn't work ("Pass It On" deep in the text somewhere) because it got pulled from youtube. :frown: Other than that, the others should work.

I thought about writing this in script format ... but the thing is, I can't find a free online source for formatting purposes. So, it'll be written more as a narrative. I'm not writing stuff that would happen during lots of the gameplay at this time. Basically, I'm just writing cutscenes that would introduce, develop, and end the missions and game.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But as some of have said in a similar thread, this idea is awesome!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I know Redsonga was thinking about a choose-your-own-adventure thing. If anyone wants to use this as a general frame for that, be my guest. It's partly why I'm only including cut-scenes ... but RPGs have lots more dialogue and stuff in between.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, I know Redsonga was thinking about a choose-your-own-adventure thing. If anyone wants to use this as a general frame for that, be my guest. It's partly why I'm only including cut-scenes ... but RPGs have lots more dialogue and stuff in between.
I'm still going to do it, don't worry:excited:. It's just going to take a long time...not so much because each 'page' is going to be long as I have to think of many different branching plots and then put them in the right format:smile:. It's one of those things that only works well if you post it all in one go after it is finished..and given the limit to editing time this will be tricky *lol* But I'm still doing it...after I finish my other stories:excited:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
It's okay. We can wait, Becky. You can't rush writing genius, after all.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's okay. We can wait, Becky. You can't rush writing genius, after all.
*lol* Good writing or not it just can't be rushed, it won't let me:coy:. It's holed up in a corner of my mind with a years supply of radishes and isn't moving:embarrassed: