School film, with cryptic singing in background

SesameMike

Reaction score
Does anyone else remember a film sequence which depicted some kid going to school, and, among other things, doing meaningful work in a school workbook?

The part of this video I remember the most was the soundtrack. Little or no sound from the kid in school was heard. Rather, we heard some Mexican-sounding men singing. One of them repeated the apparent phrase:

"La-la-la-la-lo-yo-lo" (with each syllable a half-second long)

about a dozen times. Other similarly meaningless (to me) phrases were heard throughout. It could have been in a different language, though it really did not sound like Spanish. Anyone know for sure?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember this one too. It showed not just this one kid, but others getting ready for school. The kid wakes up, takes one look out the window and falls back into bed (as grown-ups, some things never change!). His mom helps him wash his face, put on a shirt and tie, and walk him to school.

I can't make out the lyrics either, but it was some hot music. Sounds like Tito Puente. Really groovy, baby!:big_grin:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
"La-la-la-la-lo-yo-lo" (with each syllable a half-second long)
According to the closed-captioning, the refrain is "A la luna no voy yo" which means "I don't go to the moon."

superboober

Reaction score
Is it just me, or did they always seem to like filming short films of children walking around/going to school with at least one shot of the character(s) against a zoo cage-style metal fence?

JLG

Reaction score
You guys have totally made my day. That little sequence has stuck with me my whole life and I waited years to see it again. I finally did recently when I got an '88 episode off of someone. Two things about this always jumped out at me; the boy, in silhouette, rising up out of bed, and of course that soundtrack. Thanks for finally clearing up just what those guys are singing! Was it in fact Puente?

I'm sure you know what I mean when I say that certain images stick with you over the years. The image of the boy getting up, silhouetted against the closed blinds, was something I always found compelling for some reason. In fact, I'm an artist, and when I found this thread I was in the middle of a painting directly inspired by this scene. How weird is that?