Schoolhouse Rock, Anyone?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I find it strange no one ever really mentions it here. Even though most of the songs were made well before I was born, I still grew up with it. I picked up the collection dvd a while ago for an astonishing 10 bucks, when collections for individual sets cost upwards of 40. America Rock (or was it just History?) was my first tape. I had the version with the live kids singing and dancing to introduce the songs. Although, I have to say, my favorites are This for That (interesting since it came from the rather mediocre Money Rock), The Shot Heard Round the World, and Telegraph line.

Discuss? Or is another thread of mine doomed?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, if you want a shot of SHR influeincing a Muppet fan, go read my Calendar Oneshot ficlet for the month of January.

I have the individual record album of Multiplication Rock with the color filmstrip cover and the black&white sketch back cover. Maybe that's why Multiplication was my favorite and always looked forward to getting one of that group when it aired on ABC Saturday Morning immediately following the credits for whatever Looney Tunes compilation show aired at the 11:00 hour till noon. And that's why I pretty much can sing you the Constitution's preamble as well from America Rock.
Also bought the 30th anniversary DVD of SHR which has the specially created Electoral College song.

Good memories.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
Oh any person you can know
and any place that you can go
and any thing that you can show
you know they're nouns!

*is old enough to have seen the original airings on Sat morn TV between cartoons*

Funny how non-pc some of those are, though...take "Elbow Room" especially...with its animation of settlers edging out the Native Americans as they spread like a fungus over the US map! Hilariously wrong!

A good friend of mine in college came up with a terribly profane version of "Interjections" which we delighted in singing in various inappropriate public places. Still makes me laugh thinking about it. :smile:
------------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
A profane version of Interjections? Are you sure you didn't rip off the parody performed on MadTV?
Also, as far as Nouns... I'll always remember the parody they did on Comedy Central that aired on a show called Short Attention Span Theater called The Conspiracy Song about the Kennedy assasination. :smirk:

blackaerin

Reaction score
Duuuuude! Childhood nostalgia!
I remember seeing it sometime on Disney channel when I was wee; best commercial/episode breaks ever.
They mostly showed Grammar and Math Rock, I didn't find out about the other subjects until I got older and they started showing them in class.
For some odd reason, Conjunction Junction was the most popular song, but I personally don't think it's all that great compared to songs like Elbow Room, Telegraph Line, or Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla.
I think I still have the CD games somewhere around.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Did you ever notice how Conjunction Junction and Electricity Electricity have basically the same music?

blackaerin

Reaction score
Did you ever notice how Conjunction Junction and Electricity Electricity have basically the same music?
Well, I do now!
Gah, now I'll never be able to unthink that when I watch either video.
Sneaky, sneaky, but that's probably why Electricity never stuck on for me either.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I never understood why, if its not Conjunction Junction, its I'm Just a Bill that everyone and their grandmother loves. I'm not saying that they are bad songs, but there are much more memorable songs. Heh.

I will be honest, Little Twelvetoes(?) scares me. Its just not natural. They way his body moves and breaks apart :eek:

blackaerin

Reaction score
Personally, I found Figure Eight and Unpack Our Adjectives creepy.
Figure Eight for it's very eerie lyrics and Unpack Our Adjectives because I just find the singer's voice spooky.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Interjections probably has some of the best lyrics. Its a very funny song XD