Scooby-Doo to get animated theatrical movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
All I can say is, Why didn't this happen sooner?

Scooby has amassed a large number of DTV full length projects, coming in at 2 annually. Meanwhile, The Flintstones and Yogi Bear got theatrical films when they were relatively new and The Jetsons had that one in 1990 that, suffice to say, was supposed to lead on a series of HB characters in animated movies.

Skip to about 2:00 on this video...

This ride came out just as the Jetsons movie was about to hit, and notice how one of them says something about after The Jetsons, they were planning projects (possibly films) about the Flintstones and then Scooby-Doo. Sounds like maybe if The Jetsons did well, we would have had a theatrical Scooby animated film by now.

robodog

Reaction score
I'm game for it. Like you I wonder why it took them this long. I remember seeing the Jetsons movie in theatres when it came out. I saw that and Ghost Dad on the same day. In retrospect I probably would have done better to just watch the Jetsons a second time. Ghost Dad sucked.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Jetsons movie was... well... alright. It could have been much better and it could have had a much stronger story.

But when you're talking Scooby-Doo, well, he's had a number of movies I'm too lazy to look up and count. The two live action theatrical ones, the two live action telefilms, all those animated ones both DTV and telefilm since the 80's, and a strange puppet one that I don't even think has had a proper release yet. Scooby has survived, even thrived with the whole completely formulaic plot. I just want to see how they can make a movie theatrical when they release at least 2 DTV films a year.

robodog

Reaction score
Easily I'd guess. Better animation, higher stakes and that's just a couple of examples. There's a lot they could do with a theatrical budget that they couldn't do with a direct to video one.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
i'm quite happy about this news I never was a fan of the live action Scooby doo films so this might be good the only thing I wish was that Warner Brothers would use more Hanna Barbera shows in there library other than Scooby Doo I mean they have Yogi Bear, The Flintstones, Jonny Quest, The Herculoids, Hong Kong Phooey and Wacky Races Which might make for some good animated films on the big screen but I guess an animated Scooby Doo film is better than nothing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hong Kong Phooey, aside from a thankfully failed crappy live action hybrid movie, just can't get a good revival going. They keep making nice merchandise of the character every so often, but HKP needs a new something. I just don't think he could hold a theatrical film, animated or otherwise. Plus, with Scatman Crothers gone for decades, I'd wonder who they'd bother to get to voice the character. I'd give my vote for Garrett Morris.

From what I can remember, there was loose rumblings of a conceptual live action Wacky Races film featuring Dustin Hoffman as Dastardly (if you've seen Hook, you'd agree it's perfect).... way back in the 90's and nothing ever came out of it.

Still, we have a culture that's completely baffled by TV show movies. That is, unless it's years later, poorly cast, and either a "we don't care" or ironic parody version. Somehow, those are considered more profitable, even when they lose more money than a current adaption with the original cast. Though, Scooby has been around forever, he always has a project coming out. I dunno, something about the constant DTV video releases tells me that this isn't going to be a big box office draw.