Scooter recasts

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I love Rowlf and I wish Rowlf were a bigger part of the Muppets now.... Don't get me wrong on that note, but I fell as though Rowlf really connected with the rest of the group as much as I wish he were back in the Muppet Show days. He was there, but he was hardly seen backstage (where a lot of the character interaction goes on), most likely do to the simple fact Jim Henson was performing Kermit most of the time Even if the movies, he really didn't have a huge role. I hope that Rowlf will make his return and that he and Kermit will be able to interact more.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
The Thing with rowlf is that he only was recently recast, cant really have much screen time when you dont talk, and i feel Fozzie will come back to the spotlight with kermit and Gonzo

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but Scooter's voice got deeper as time went on. Almost as if Richard had been aging him.
That's an interesting observation, I'd never thought of that! I think one issue is Richard's voice for Scooter was very close to his own, rather than an exaggerated character voice. It's harder to just mimic a person's voice.

Anyway, my point is that Scooter's role in the Muppet universe has been downplayed over the years and I really wish he would come back to that main tier status that he once had. I think that young people (teens and young adults) will be able to relate to him as well.
That's true, I do feel bad for Scooter in the movies because it's obvious they had no idea what to do with him, lol. It seems it's hard getting work following a stint as Kermit's go fer! :wink:

Btw, here is a blog entry I wrote on an old Muppet VHS, Children's Songs and Stories with Muppets, hosted by Scooter. Hope you enjoy. :smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Btw, here is a blog entry I wrote on an old Muppet VHS, Children's Songs and Stories with Muppets, hosted by Scooter. Hope you enjoy. :smile:
That was really sweet. Nice observations on your part as well. I wish I could have seen that video.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That was really sweet. Nice observations on your part as well. I wish I could have seen that video.
Aw thanks! Well I did buy it from a third party seller on Amazon, if you ever try to find it. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't know why it took so long to get somone to do Scooter. Henson execs could have had a casting call.....
Once again, i wonder if it was the Rowlf thing (considering that it wasn't until MFS we even had Scooter in the back ground. But then again, we all know how hard it is to recast a muppet. I mean, look at how many different people it took to fill in for Mel Blanc (and yes... Arthur Q. Bryan) for the Looney Tunes characters. They have like 3 official voices for Bugs Bunny alone.

And with Puppets, it's even harder. You have to breathe the character... you have to be the character. You just don't impersonate a voice. You have to be the character for live, unscripted appearances. You need to be in his frame of mind even when you make a mistake.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that each scooter performer brings something unique to the table. They all bring a part of Richard, but different parts at different times. It's like Richard was the full Scooter and the other performers are all different parts of scooter.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I would support anyone's Scooter, but I do see some potential in Rudman. He has that playful side that Scooter's been lacking since Richard's passing. The voice seemed pretty good too and if that's his Janice than we have a winner IMHO! I just hope he sticks around. I know Sesame Street only shoots several weeks out of the year so some Scooter Muppeting is entirely possible. I wonder how the different companies deal with crossover puppeteers and their priorities.