Scooter's Role in the Muppet Movies

Muppet Master

Reaction score
After watching The Muppets 2011 and Muppets Most Wanted I'm confused about what Scooter's role is supposed to be in the muppet movies. In TMM and GMC he had a small cameo, but he was mostly in the background, and then in MTM he was a supporting character. Fastforward to 2011 and Scooter has a big role in TM and then in MMW. I don't understand, is Scooter supposed to be a main character, a background character, a supporting character, or something else?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
He was very much a main character on Muppet Show. But starting with the films it became more difficult to fit him in since he didn't have a clear cut job as Kermit's go-fer anymore. I wouldn't call his parts in TMM or GMC cameos, more like a supporting character.

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
I think he's always been that character to make everyone happy. He's just so nice. He is more of a main/supporting character. It wouldn't be same without him

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think he's always been that character to make everyone happy. He's just so nice. He is more of a main/supporting character. It wouldn't be same without him
Well technically yes, he's always trying to make people happy. But it's often in the hopes of propping up his career in show biz, hehe.

cahuenga

Reaction score
I really missed Scooter during the 90´s... MCC, MTI and MT werent the same Muppets without him..

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really missed Scooter during the 90´s... MCC, MTI and MT werent the same Muppets without him..
And to think, they wound up recasting him with someone who was recast as Richard Hunt roles all along. And there's no doubt in my mind that, had he been alive to perform the character, Baby Bear would have been Richard's as well.

Sigh... too bad he wasn't recast in MCC. He could have played Scrooge's Nephew instead of yet another human.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And there's no doubt in my mind that, had he been alive to perform the character, Baby Bear would have been Richard's as well.
Wellll, on the other hand, Richard might have liked playing Baby Bear as much as he liked playing Elmo. :laugh:

Sigh... too bad he wasn't recast in MCC. He could have played Scrooge's Nephew instead of yet another human.
Absolutely right. That whole bit with nephew Fred's party was a drain on the film with so much time away from the Muppets.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Sigh... too bad he wasn't recast in MCC. He could have played Scrooge's Nephew instead of yet another human.​
Absolutely right. That whole bit with nephew Fred's party was a drain on the film with so much time away from the Muppets.
I suppose I must be biased just because I'm such a huge fan of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", but I really didn't have any issue with that scene- or The Muppet Christmas Carol- at all. Scooter could have played nephew Fred but outside of humans being friends with Muppets, I don't think we've too often had humans related to Muppets. (Though I guess Gary and Walter would be a major recent exception.)
It doesn't matter to me- I thought the actor who played Fred was great. And I realize that the Muppets had to give up some screen time to the human characters, but they've always balanced time between Muppets and humans in the movies and I thought this adaptation worked fine. But I know that for some this movie just isn't a favorite either for reasons of not being a fan of Dickens and/or "A Christmas Carol" or just because The Muppets didn't have as big a role in the movies as in other movies. And that's cool- I don't mean to keep harping on it- so I'll just enjoy it as a cherished and favorite Christmas movie and Muppets movie (that I'll happily watch any time of the year:smile:).

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
It is a shame that Scooter didn't at least appear in the background somewhere in the movies in the '90s. According to Muppet Wiki, he did at least appear in a framed photo in an episode of "Muppets Tonight". Oh well- I guess that happens sometimes when you unfortunately lose a performer. But at least Scooter has made a comeback in recent years and in whatever capacity, he's still there in the movies and other Muppet appearances- and I'm glad for that. Scooter is a great character and a classic part of the gang.:wink: