Scott Foam - White vs Black

BorkBork

Reaction score
I've found that the black half inch reticulated foam (mostly used for filters and speaker protection) is far cheaper than the white one. I get them for about $5 a pair. And they are pretty big sheets (not sure on exact measures).
Is there any disadvantages from using the black kind or is it the same as the white one?

What do i use to make markings on the black kind? Silver pen?

Any thoughts on this is interesting.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
What about dressmakers chalk for marking it?

I have NO idea regarding the black vs white foam, since ive never tried the black. I know the white is nice because if you want to add color to it, its easier to do on a lighter background than it is on a darker one. but if you're going to cover it...I mean, hey, what works works, right?

BorkBork

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I'll go ahead and buy it since it is cheap. I got a sample and compared it with the white one, and i can't find any difference other than the color. I am using antron or furr over it anyways...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The main problem with dark coloured foam is that if it's covered with fleece or another fabric, unless the fabric is very opaque some of the colour will show through. It also doesn't take paint/colour/dye well, as Stacey mentioned.

BorkBork

Reaction score
So it bleeds through? Huh...

Well i'll try it out anyway. It costs almost no money so what the hey...

MGov

Reaction score
I had some black for a little while. Used dressmaker chalk. But I often had to go over the line twice.

I've gone back to white.

I guess what the say isn't true.

jcnegron

Reaction score
Crayons

I don´t know if it would work on foam but for dark fabrics I have used white permanent ink pens, white crayons, or white make up pencils.

Keeermit

Reaction score
Hi there,

I much prefer the whiter scott foam, its just much easier to work with if you work with it all day.... easier to look at, easier to mark and you can dye the white stuff - and it doesn't show through if you are using light colored materials to cover the foam. hope that helps. have a great day :smile:

Onath

Reaction score
woo hoo I just found out I live less than a mile from a place that sells scot foam (reticulated) the white one. I can't wait to stop by. The place is called rogers foam corporation in somerville, MA anyone ever heard of them.

onath