Segal Might Love The Classic Muppets...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It appears that Uncle Deadly bumped Pepe from his role as evil henchman to Tex Richman, but I have a feeling the prawn will be in this. I hope he has a larger role than it seems. I don't know why, but I can see Pepe and Rizzo in some sort of running gag. They're a good team. :rolleyes::shifty:
dwmckim has said that in the script he saw Bobo was originally the villians sidekick.

beaker

Reaction score
Well Bobo was the bad guy sidekick in MFS, and to some extent in LTS...so I can see why they'd replace him. Uncle Deadly is PERFECT. There's not too many "bad guy" Muppets.

And to Frogboy: I definitely would not be surprised if a special scene stealing series of scenes is given to Pepe/Rizzo.

@minor muppets: aw, correct sir! Yeah definitely very early-mid 80's Gonzo style there

Drtooth

Reaction score
This would be Uncle Deadly's first actual appearance in a Muppet movie, wouldn't it.

You know, I'm about 2 minds with this issue.

On the one hand, I'd also love to see the newer characters but at the same time, we haven't seen Rowlf utter more than 3 syllables in a movie since MTM. His last theatrical line was a short "Awwhg!" Was Thog even in a movie before other than the Rainbow Connection reprise at the end of the first one?

There are TOO many Muppet characters to all get screen time, and I'm sure they hammered out how many want to use long ago, and again, I wouldn't count new characters out. Even if they weren't written in the script, some of the Muppet employees (writers, puppeteers) could have twisted some arms.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, the third treaser trailer has been shown, and it includes an appearance by Bobo (and it looks like he'll still be assisting the villian, along with Uncle Deadley, not to mention Statler and Waldorf). And some of the scenes in that trailer show Miss Piggy with her 1980s hair style (which I don't particularly like).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To suddenly just have say, Pepe out, seems bizarre since JHC and Disney built him into one of the top main 5 or 7 core characters
I like Pepe alright, but frankly the movies he was part of were not very successful. So it really wouldn't be that brazen to leave him or the other recent characters out. It makes more sense to channel the elements of their more successful movies.

To channel Star Trek again, when they were making the second movie, their first thought wasn't to channel the first movie which had not been well received.

Not saying the recent Muppet characters shouldn't be in the film at all. Just saying I can understand why they wouldn't get center stage.

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah after seeing that third teaser, I definitely am getting at what they were going for and the way they are bringing the classic guys into the limelight in a brash unapolagetic way. Smart move. Though, some of the Muppets look so shiny and new, it almost looks odd(like Fozzie in the scene where Segal is asking if this is another Muppet teaser)

Like many of you, Im excited to see what Muppet cameo/easter eggs/references are glimpsed in the film. They need to do an "after the credits roll" bonus epilogue clip

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like Pepe alright, but frankly the movies he was part of were not very successful. So it really wouldn't be that brazen to leave him or the other recent characters out. It makes more sense to channel the elements of their more successful movies.
I would basically call it being at a bad place at a bad time for Pepe. With or without him, those movies... well, that ONE theatrical one had so many behind the scenes problems (labored script, forced Sci-Fi focus, bad direction) that there was no way it would have worked out to something better than it was. But I do think Pepe singlehandedly saved all the movies he was in. Oz would have been plain unwatchable without that character, his presence in MFS made the film much funnier, and I liked the play he had with Rizzo. Plus, the fact he was almost stabbing Kermit and the gang in the back due to his own male ego in VMX was a nice touch.

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah but Duke, a lot of those are specific to a movie. I guess one could consider Crazy Harry, Statler, Waldorf, Big Mean Carl, etc "bad guys" though usually everyone comes together in the end