Send in your Muppet Christmas Carol DVD Review

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Send in your Muppet Christmas Carol DVD Review!

Christmas is coming! Today the Muppet Christmas Carol DVD arrives in stores and we'd like to hear your opinions of the new DVD. Let us know what you think of the transfer, extras, video and audio features, commentary, etc. Also include a Kermit rating from 1/2 to 5 Kermits with your article. Your review will be permanently archived on Muppet Central in our reviews section.

Please send us your review by Monday October 14 if at all possible. You can submit your Muppet Christmas Carol DVD review here...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/submit.shtml

Fans depend on reviews to get a good idea of the pros and cons of getting a particular collectible. Your detailed review can make a difference. Thanks in advance for your help.

BigSPEEGS

Reaction score
Psst... what are the specs/special features of this DVD? Will it at least be in widescreen?

-SPEEGS

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, like Treasure Island it's in full-frame only.

Extras include:

1. Audio Commentary by director Brian Henson
2. Frogs, Pigs and Humbug, a 20-minute behind the scenes featurette with Gonzo and Rizzo
3. On the Set, a 2 and a half minute Gag Reel
4. Christmas Around the World

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently so. Most likely though someone at Disney assumed it would be in widescreen when it was planned for pan and scan treatment the whole time.

Eric1701

Reaction score
Muppet Christmas Carol Review

Phillip,

I am new here at Muppet Central but a long time fan of the Muppets. I just purchased Muppet Christmas Carol yesterday and I, like many others, was dissapointed that it was only in Full Frame and not Widescreen as well. Other than that, I have this to say....

WHAT A GREAT DISC!!

Not only is the Muppet Christmas Carol one of my favorite Muppet movies, the Christmas Carol is one of my favorite stories to begin with. What was really great was the behind the scenes footage and the interview with the Muppet performers. That little bit of Steve Whitmire was the first time that I had heard his voice that wasn't coming out a piece of foam or felt. Dave Goelz looks very different now as well!

Another great part of the disc is Kermit on the Menus. If you leave it on the Menus, Kermit gets very annoyed at you. :smile:

I will be calling that Disney DVD customer service somebody posted earlier to let them know they did a great job on the disc and to kindly request a widescreen version.

Have a great day!

Eric T Wickwire

Light the lamp not the rat! Light the lamp not the rat!:smile:

smcguire

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
Apparently so. Most likely though someone at Disney assumed it would be in widescreen when it was planned for pan and scan treatment the whole time.
The master used for the DVD is exactly the same as the one used for the VHS release. How can I tell? The dust specks and lint on the film are in exactly the same places. No cleanup of this master seems to have been done at all - I saw numerous dust specks throughout - although at least thanks to DVD it has higher resolution and better color that the VHS (although the colors seem a little muted, but perhaps that was the intent while filming). The DVD's 5.1 soundtrack sounds like a straight port of the VHS's Dolby Prologic soundtrack, too (although that's really fine).

I'm sorry that I don't have time to write a full review now... it's not bad by any means, but it could have been so much better if Disney had put some effort into it.

The opening menus with Kermit is definitely funny, though.

--Scott McGuire

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a reminder I'm needing Muppet Christmas Carol DVD reviews. If you can get these in by Monday morning that would be great. Looking forward to hearing what you think about the latest Muppet release.