Separates

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I read in a Steve Whitmire interview that Jim wanted to keep some Muppeteers separate from other shows (like he wanted to keep Dave and Steve separate from Sesame Street. etc) Do they still do this? Because I've noticed, certain Muppeteers still seem to be separate from other shows, like how many times have you seen a Bill Barretta character on Sesame Street?

lowercasegods

Reaction score
These days, crossing puppeteers over to shows they didn't previously appear on has somewhat of a necessity. Steve never touched Sesame Street until he was betrothed Ernie and Kermit. I personally got a kind of cheap thrill seeing Dave Goelz perform the huge bird puppet in Elmo in Grouchland.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
According to the people here, Dave also did "The Elephant Elevator Operator".

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson is now "seperate" as he still does Sesame Street having retired from his Muppet characters.

I read that Eric Jacobson was asked to do Piggy and Fozzie following his sucess with Frank's Sesame characters so was he "seperate" from the Muppets before this?

BEAR

Reaction score
Carroll Spinney doesn't work outside of his Sesame Street roles either.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
but for things like Muppet Family Christmas and the end in The Muppet Movie, both Sesame peformers and muppet performers have joined together

BEAR

Reaction score
I like that Spinney only performs characters on Sesame Street because it makes his appearances with the other Muppets (Muppet Movie, and notably Muppet Family Christmas) more special.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Interesting; I always wondered why Dave never did any SS characters, and likewise, I always wondered why Carrol never did any TMS characters! :concern: :grouchy:

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Interesting; I always wondered why Dave never did any SS characters, and likewise, I always wondered why Carrol never did any TMS characters! :concern: :grouchy:
I wonder if its cuz Spinney was hired specifically for SS. Also, BB and Oscar are in a way the lead Muppet characters on Sesame Street (atleast the street segments) and Carroll needs to spend more time doing that. Most of the other performers do work for the Muppets, so they need atleast a couple (Spinney and Martin RObinson) to anchor SS. Did that make sense? I can't organize that theory.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I wonder if its cuz Spinney was hired specifically for SS. Also, BB and Oscar are in a way the lead Muppet characters on Sesame Street (atleast the street segments) and Carroll needs to spend more time doing that. Most of the other performers do work for the Muppets, so they need atleast a couple (Spinney and Martin RObinson) to anchor SS. Did that make sense? I can't organize that theory.
Yeah, that made sense. I just wish that Kevin Clash would stick to The Muppets and maybe abandon SS...:wink: