Sequel to little Big Bird ep

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I finally saw the sequel to the 2-part ep involving Mumford's accidental shrinking of Big Bird down to Twiddlebug size. It was interesting I kind of liked the can-do attitude that was presented by Mike the male ladybug. It was also interesting how Big Bird finally managed to get Gordon and Allen's attention. BTW I'm not much of a chess player, but I know that there are certain moves with certain pieces that are legal and certain moves that aren't. Would the move that Big bird made be legal in a real chess game.

D

Dil

Wait a Minute. Wait a Minute!
I would be talking about Little Bird, not Little Big Bird.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To help explain... There's the classic SS character known as Little Bird. But in the Season 36 two-part finale, Episodes 4107 and 4108, Mumford was practicing a magic trick turning a big letter M into a little letter m. Unfortunately, knowing how Mumford's magic works would give you an advanced insight into the episode's hook. Instead of turning the big M into a little m, he turned Big Bird into a smaller "Little" version of himself, hence the episode's given title of Adventures of Little Big Bird.
Interesting to note, when Big Bird was his normal size he was voiced by Caroll... And then Matt Vogel took over when it was Little Big Bird on screen.

BTW: What was the move Big Bird made on the chessboard? Which piece was he acting as?

abiraniriba

Reaction score
He wasn't a piece

Big Bird wasn't acting as any piece per se. What happened was he landed on the board and then he moved a chess piece, a rook I think, one space forward from just over the fold on Gordon's side of the board to Allan's. After this rather laborious feat Big Bird proclaimed "Boy chess sure is a hard game." Allan then told Gordon that he had made a great move, causing Gordon to be confused, since he hadn't moved anything. He then looked closer at the board, realized that a piece had been moved and that there was a strange yellow feathery thing on the board. You can fill in the rest.

BTW I didnt notice the switch in Muppeteers when Big Bird shrunk, very interesting. I wonder whether Caroll will retire and let Matt take over totally or just continue working until he flies away to that great bird's nest in the sky and then Matt will have to take over for obvious reasons.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Gordon and Alan would just stare at each other for five minutes and not look down at the chess board.

I know the story requires this to happen, but still....

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... To answer your questions Aba...
Caroll Spinney has expressed many times he wishes to continue portraying Big Bird until he can't hold up the bird's head any longer.
The move you describe Big Bird making, if it was with a rook or the castle tower shaped piece is legal... You can move the castle tower piece or rook any number of spaces in a straight line, either across or up and down, but once you've finished the move you can't move it back. Of course, it's best to not move both rooks until until them and your king are left on that back row, cause then you can switch one of the rooks for the king in the move refered to as "castling".
Hope this helps.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Thnx

Well that tells me what I needed to know, thanks everyone, like I said, I never learned the game of chess when I was younger, and now that I have a wife, a 3-year old, a cat and a kid on the way, I don't have the time to learn anything that requires more concentration than the extremely difficult game of Candyland.

Timotheus

Reaction score
That's how it came out? I wish I had gotten to see it! That's awesome!