Sesame Muppet Ages

Xerus

Reaction score
So far, I've learned that Big Bird is 6 years old, Snuffy is 4 and a half, and Zoe and Elmo are 3. But does anyone know how old Telly or Grover is? I'm wondering if Grover is either an adult or a kid, since he acts like a kid but has many jobs like an adult.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Grover is 4. I don't know how old Telly is. I believe Ernie is under 5 because he says he has 8 more years of grade school.

Censored

Reaction score
Some characters like Grover, Ernie, and even Bert seem to vary from being children or adults.

Xerus

Reaction score
I'm guessing that Grover is an adult or a teen since in a few skits, he was a taxi driver. And I don't think you can give a kid a driver's licsence.

Grover also seems like a senior monster who tries to give the younger monsters lectures. Kind of like a big brother.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Big Bird-6
Elmo-3 1/2
Snuffy-4
Grover-4
Cookie Monster-3 or 4
Oscar-6 (as my mom, also a Sesame fan, told me once. I guess that's fair to presume because many kids at that age do have a lot in common with him :stick_out_tongue:)
Ernie-5 (as said before)
Bert-older than Ernie (6 or 7)
Telly-4
Zoe-3 (or 4)
Two-Headed Monster-2-3
Baby Bear-4-5
Rosita-5

The Count-reallly old
Biff/Sully-somewhere in their 40s

And yet characters like Grover, Cookie, Oscar, Ernie and Bert can do some things adults can do/have adult characteristics: having nieces/nephews, having jobs, etc. At one point, Big Bird did say he had a nephew (around an episode from the third season)

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Ages actually vary

You got the ages right, however there's a little more to it than that, epecially when you look at the origins of Ernie and Bert. Back in '69 Jim had this idea for a sketch involving a smart-alecky kid who always outsmarts an adult. Now in '69 this idea didn't go over very well for a children's show (this was b4 the days of Bart Simpson), so he decided to make them both around the same age and give them two very different personalities the smart-alecky kid morphed into the horizontal striped shirt wearing football headed jokester we know as Ernie and the adult became the dull, nerdy, pigeon loving vertical striped shirt wearing triangular headed butt of Ernie's jokes we know as Bert. Their adult origins are still apparent though in the fact that they live in their own apartment with minimal parental supervision something no 6 or 7 year old would ever be able to do. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's an update...

From what I've read from an official source (the Sesame Street Unpaved book)...

Every single Muppet on the show is technically ageless. They are, however, written to represent certain age groups.

Big Bird is written to represent the age of 6.
Snuffy is written to represent the age of 4.
Grover is written to represent the age of 4.
Count is written to represent the age of 1,832,652
Prairie Dawn is written to represent the age of 7.
Elmo is written to represent the age of three-and-a-half.
Zoe is written to represent the age of 3.
Herry Monster is written to represent the age of 6.

So apparently, Ernie and Bert really are ageless, as are Guy Smiley, Telly, Kermit the Frog, and Oscar the Grouch,

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I always thought of Ernie and Bert as 2 guys in their early 20's sharing the rent of an apartment because they can't afford to live on their own yet. Also theyr'e both still single. Oscar on the other hand, is definetley one of the "adult" Muppets, I read somewhere that he is supposed to be 43 years old. Which seems about right for him. Don Music is probably in his late 20's. Forgetful Jone's and Clementine: mid 30's. And Sonny Friendly, early 30's. Those are obviously just rough estimates.

anytimepally

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Here's an update...

Count is written to represent the age of 1,832,652

how does one write to represent that age, I wonder :stick_out_tongue: