Sesame Muppet Ages

D'Snowth

Reaction score
anytimepally said:
how does one write to represent that age, I wonder :stick_out_tongue:
Well I guess it's like how Jeannie on I Dream of Jeannie was writting to represent the age of a little over 2,000.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I always though Prairie Dawn was six. Gorver is to wordly to be a child. Cookie's vocabulary is far beyond that of a child. Telly and Baby Bear are somewhere between the ages of 4 and 6. I would say 5. They may have given telly an age after a while. And they made Frazzle and Harry like kids after a while.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I always though Prairie Dawn was six. Grover is too worldly to be a child. Cookie's vocabulary is far beyond that of a child. Telly and Baby Bear are somewhere between the ages of 4 and 6. I would say 5. They may have given Telly an age after a while. And they made Frazzle and Herry like kids after a while.
I'd say that Cookie's hard to place in terms of age: he's got an adult's vocabulary and above-average problem-solving skills, but a child's emotional life and obsession with cookies. (The weird grammar--his use of "incorrect" pronouns and verbs--I'd blame on his species instead of his age. Alien creatures do tend to speak strangely, and he was originally conceived as the scary, eats-anything monster that young children might imagine.)

Grover, I'd call a young adult (even if he lives with his mother and calls her "Mommy"): he's worked several adult jobs, speaks very proper English compared to the childlike characters, but still tends to get over-excited and insist on doing things his way.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
I'd say that Cookie's hard to place in terms of age: he's got an adult's vocabulary and above-average problem-solving skills, but a child's emotional life and obsession with cookies.
Well, adults often engage in childish behavior, like obsession. :wink:

anytimepally

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
he was originally conceived as the scary, eats-anything monster that young children might imagine.)
or that children might be :smile:

ISNorden

Reaction score
anytimepally said:
how does one write to represent that age, I wonder :stick_out_tongue:

The Count was at least partly inspired by horror-fiction vampires, who don't age... ;-) We'll have to take his word, errr, number for the exact total!

ISNorden

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
I always thought of Ernie and Bert as 2 guys in their early 20's sharing the rent of an apartment because they can't afford to live on their own yet. Also they're both still single.
*nods* Bert's also a member of at least two clubs with mostly adult members, judging by two sketches: the local bowling league drops in to borrow his ball in the "bathroom power failure" sketch, and the National Association of "W" Lovers gives him the floor before they sing the club song. Given the way Jim originally thought of Bert and Ernie, it's not surprising that Bert acts much too curmudgeonly to represent a child...even if he has a favorite letter and number; this is still Sesame Street after all! :frown:

As for why Ernie still acts childish but shares the same one-bedroom apartment with Bert...we've all known people who couldn't or wouldn't grow up socially. (If he were a real person instead of a puppet character, I'd guess he had a mental disability of some kind; the same could apply to most of the Muppets as "real people", though.)

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, Frank Oz kinda set to tone for how monsters talk in general. So I don't really blame age for his grammer at all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
The Count was at least partly inspired by horror-fiction vampires, who don't age... ;-) We'll have to take his word, errr, number for the exact total!
Actually, it's not that they never age, it's that they never die since they're immortal... unless someone happens to have a giant bottle of Holy Water on hand.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Either that or they get dumped in a box in storage!:big_grin: Or become AM's.:smirk: