Sesame Street 36th Anniversary outline

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is an outline for a Sesame Street 36th Anniversary Special. I hope that you enjoy it. I will post a few sections of this outline at a time (let's say that every time a post ends is where the special would lead to a commercial break)

At the beginning, we see a wide shot of the street, similar to the beginning of 20 and still counting (or follow that bird). We see a repair man (a human, possibly played by a celebrity) entering Sesame Street to put some finishing touches on a machine he installed on the street (in the arbor area). Alan, Elmo, Zoe, and Herry all watch out the window of Hoopers Store, wondering what he is making. Bert and ernie (in the gutter near their home) also wonder outloud what was happening. Gordon, Big Bird, and Telly all come out to ask the man what he was building. The man says that he has installed a memory machine, which can automatically remind you of things. He asks if anybody has any requests, and telly asks for memories of Sesame Street. The title, Things That We Remember: Celebrating 36 years Of Sesame Street, appears on screen, leading to the theme song and a clip montage.

The clips in this montage include: Big Bird meeting sally in the first episode, fat Blues table being taken away, grover falling into the monsterpiece theatre set (from The 39 Stairs), Kermit getting bugged by either Shala or fanny (whichever was the one farthest from the screen in the next to sketch), various muppets lookign through the bathroom door (from "Do De Rubber Duck"), Suzie kabloozy and Fief floating in space, kermit slapping Humpty dumpty off a wall, Arnold (from Hey, Arnold) riding in a chair, grover carrying a picture of the Simpsons, a clip of C3PO and R2D2 (from their first visit to sesame street), a clip from a deena and pearl sketch, Ernie swimming underwater (from I Don't Want To Live On the Moon), Cookie Monster being x-rayed (from a letter of the day segment for the letter x), The Count as an elevador operador, a clip of Sam The Robot, a clip of Bruno carrying Oscar, a clip of bert fainting, Kermit holding a large sandwhich while grover carries balloons, Kermit hopping into the air (from Do Op Hop), Rosevelt franklin and his mother, an audience shot from the headball sketch, the two-headed monster at the shoe store, a clip with the hinkers, a teeny little superguy clip, the number 8 falling on the jester (from The King of 8), Mr. Noodle on top of a sheet of paper, Elmo talking to a ball, Ernie eating some pizza, the baker falling down the stairs with 10 cakes, the ladybugs from the ladybug Picnic, a second season group scene, a fifth season group scene, Snuffy meeting Forgetful Jones, Proffessor Hastings on What's My Part?, a clip of mr. hooper, and Big Bird jumping on a trampoline.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
here comes more

Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Bert, Ernie, Susan, Gordon, Bob, and Maria are all looking at the machine. They are all trying to decide on what to think of. Bob thinks about how so many things have changed, and they want to be reminded of various changes, leading to some clips.

Clips include: a clip of Matt Robinson as Gordon, a clip of Hal Miller as Gordon, Roscoe Orman as Gordon, a clip with the original big bird, a clip with the present big bird (talking to a dinosaur in Journey To Ernie), a clip with the original orange oscar, a clip of the green oscar (preparing for a rode trip from the season 33 finale), a clip of the green grover (demonstrating near and far), the blue grover (singing proud of me), telly monster when he was known as Television Monster (from his first appearance), and the more-familliar Telly Monster.

next, Ernie and Bert want to be reminded of their friendship, and times together. Clips include: them singing One And One Make Two, them singing Sleep, Ernie telling Bert that he calls his bathtub rosie, Ernie using berts nose for a clay sculpture, ernie wearing socks on his ears, Ernie and bert going fishing (ernie saying "here fishy, fishy, fishy"), Ernie meeting berts brother bart, Ernie and bert in egypt, ernie and bert in the jungle, and Ernie helping bert decide on what hat he should wear to a pigeon convention.

Bert and Ernie also realize that they have different interests that they would like to be reminded of, leading to these clips: Ernie singing Rubber Duckie, Bert singign Pigeons on parade, Bert teaching his pigeon how to play checkers, a clip from a skit about bert and oatmeal, bert showcasing his paperclip collection, bert singing Have You Ever Looked At A paperclip?, bert singing I'm square, and But I Like You.

Cookie Monster wants to remember all the times that he had cookies. clips include Cookie Monster singing C Is For Cookie (the 1998 version), Cookie Monster eating a giant cookie (from letter Of The day: G), Cookie Monster panicking over eating the last cookie, Cookie Monster asking a librarian for some cookies, Cookie Monster as the cookie bunny, Cookie Monster asking Mumford to stop him from eating the cookie with the letter of the day, Cookie Monster ending his poem on galoshes, Grover telling cookie monster that he looks too thin from his diet, Cookie Monster eating cookies as the count counts them, and Cookie Monster giving a cookie to his friend (from What Is friend?).

Cookie Monster then wants to see memories of other foods. Clips include Everyone Likes Ice Cream, The Count ordering hot dogs, cereal girl, lefty weighing food on his scale, cookie Monster singing Healthy Food (the recent remake), Hoots singing Cookies Are a Sometimes Food, Grover serving fat Blue bacon and eggs, tellys lunch, and Ernie and Bert sharing licorice.

Then Zoe wants to see moments of dancing. These clips incldue: Do De Rubber Duck, a very simple dance, the Birdland Jump, T Dance, The No-No-No, mambo I, I, I, and dance Myself To Sleep.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
heres some more

Big Bird and Snuffy talk about how Big Bird used to be the only person on Sesame Street who ever saw Snuffy, and they want to remember these times. Clips include: Big Bird meeting Snuffy for the first time, Big Bird telling the aldults about Snuffy for the first time, Big Bird and Snuffy in hawiai, Big Bird telling Snuffy that he was convinced Snuffy was imaginary, Big Bird being convinced hat he sn't, Bob seeing Snuffy (but then Big Bird thinking Bob was imagining), Snuffy counting people who don't see him, and finally, everybody seeing Snuffy.

Grover gets off from work and wants to get his mind off work. Snuffy tells grover about the machine, and grover asks to be reminded of himself as supergrover. Clips incldue: the supergrover opening, supergrover teaching elmo to be a supermonster, supergrover with superbaby, supergrover heloing fix a computer, supergrover helping a girl contact a friend, and supergrover teaching a superhero class.

grover then wants to be reminded of his various jobs. Clips include grover he waiter serving alphabet soup, grover serving a gian thamburger, grover as a plumber, Grover as an elevador operador, grover trying to sell Kermit earmuffs, Grover trying to sell kermit sunglasses, Grover as a taxi driver, grover applying for a job as a life guard, grover as a wig salesman, and grover as a singing telegram deliverer (the one without elmo).

After that, grover wants to be reminded of other peoples jobs. Clips start out with the original version of The People In Your neighborhood, followed by Ernie as a barber, Lefty trying to sell a stop sign, Kermit interviewing Professor Nucleus Von Fission, Mr. Hooper working at hoopers store, Oscar working at a news stand, Guy Smiley hosting What's My Job?, The Count hiring Ernie as an operador, and kermit directing Forgetful Jones in a movie.

Hoots and prarie dawn want to remember music. Clips include: Elmos Song, My Pollywog Ways, Danger, Best Friend Blues, Born To Add, We Are All earthlings, Just The way You Are, Don't Know Why Y Didn't Show, A Song From Kermit, Fuzzy And Blue, Up And Down, Italian Street Song, We Coulda, I Wonder About The World Above Up There, and I've Gotta be Clean.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
we're back

The count enters the scene counting one wonderful memory machine, and wants some counting memories. Clips include: the introduction to Count It Higher, the current number of the day openings (the remake of the baker openings), John John asking grover to count his penny, a scene from the baker film on One which counts one bird, clip from the same baker film that counts one wedding cake, two-toucan two-steps, two heads are better than one, grover telling fta Blue to take a number at his bakery, Rowlf counting nine lights, The Alligator King, Pinball Number Count, I Just Adore Four, Little Jerry and the Monotones singing Four, Jim Henson as a juggler counting three balls, Lefty selling an 8, the count on squeel of fortune, herry and John John counting to 20, Jazzy Spies #4, The Number painter painting a 7, and penny candy man.

After that, Elmo comes to the machine, wishing to see some memories of the alphabet. Clips include: kermit asing a girl if she can sing the alphabet (clip ens with kermit saying "You're not singing the alphabet!"), the original version of ABC-DEF-GHI, Rappin' Alphabet, Group Of Monsters: A, X marks the spot, La La La, Would You Like To Buy An O?, Monsterpiece Theatre: the old man and the c, Harvey Kneeslapper giving an R to the mailman, The U lecture, Capital I, and Z Z Blues.

Elmo also wants to remember all of the fun games played on sesame street. Clips include various Journey To Ernie clips (including the original format), Ernies Rhyme game, Ernies sandbox game, Elmo on Beat The Time, the big bad wolf shooting a basketball, oscar and telly playing oscar says, and Susie kabloozy singing somebody come and play.

Oscar leaves his can to remember his moments. Clips include I Love trash, Brunos first appearance, Oscar getting ready to read Trash Gordon to slimey, another clip with slimey, a clip with Irvine, Oscar and grungetta on Sally messy Yuckiel, Oscars Trash band, oscar with danny devito, oscar on The Anything In The Whole Wide World Prize game, Ask Oscar, Sneak Peek previews, another clip of oscar and bruno, oscar with the grouchkateers, and We're A Couple Of Grouches.

Oscar then wants to see some memories of others getting angry. Clips include: Ernie wanting Bert to pretend that he is angry, fat Blue getting mad at grover for spilling his meals on the floor (form when he was a singing and dancing waiter), Prarie dawn getting mad at Cookie Monster for eating the letter of the day (if one exists), kermit getting mad at grover for giving him ears, the adults getting mad at Big Bird for talking about something mr. Snuffleupagus did, Big Bird getting mad at the others for not beleiving in Snuffleupagus, Ernie getting mad at herbert Birdsfoot, Little jerry singing mad, and various clips of bert getting mad.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
welcome back!

Big Bird wants to see some memories pf mr. Hooper. Various mr. Hooper clips are shown. Then, Bob thinks it might be nice to see some memories of other people who have come and gone from the street. This leads to a clip montage with David, Olivia, Linda, Ruthie, Hiroshi, Willy, Mr. Macintosh, Uncle Wally, Sam The Robot, Rosevelt Franklin, Don Music, and Mr. Hanford.

Luis and Maria want some memories of their wedding, and the birth of gabbi. Susan and Gordon want some memories of the adoption of miles.

Rosita wants some memories of other countries and cultures. clips inlcude a few spanish word of the day skits (si/ no, perro, balita, and flores), and some global grover skits (china, egypt, france, and alaska).

Meanwhile, Oscar is watching television, changing the channel because everything is trash. This leads to the following clips: The Triangle Is Right, Miami Mice (with Ernie), The Letter of the Day Games, Number of the day: 6 (for six feet under), The Crying Game, Dr. Feel (with Bob), Baby Talk, The Dancing Channel (from Elmos World: Dancing) and some Sesame Street news (tortose and the hare, pinnocchio, count counting the three little pigs, and don music writing mary had a bicycle) and Monsterpiece Theatre (Chariots of Fur, waiting for elmo, The Taming of The Shoe, Gone With The Wind, Twin Beaks, and Little House On Prarie) clips.

These television clips are followed by clips with guest stars: Leena Horne (how do you do?), Rick Moranis (stick out your hand and say hello), Mel Gibson (the world wide world of the world), Stevie Wonder (123 sesame street), Tony Bennet (slimey to the moon), Jim Carrey (demosntrating happy and sad feet), Annette Benning (demonstrating a cookie here and there), James Earl Jones (reciting the alphabet), Judy Collins (in whatever skit it was that she did), and Whoopi Goldberg (talking about hair, fur, and skin to elmo).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
th-th-th-theres more folks!

By now, everybody was at the machine, making memory requests all at once. This subsequently caused the machine to explode. Oscar was happy because this made everybody else unhappy because now they can't have memories of the past.

But then Gordon and Bob pointed out that they don't need a machine to remember things. They can think about these things on their own. Everybody gives it a try. As the characters think, thought baloons with clips appear above their heads. Elmo thinks about dorthy and the noodle brothers. Big Bird thinks about himself roller skating (from the song Wheels On My Feet). Cookie Monster thinks of himself as a train conductor (from The ballad of casey mcphee). Grover thinks of himself as Supergrover. a scene transition shows the following clips over an instrumental version of Believe In Yourself. These clips include The Count counting sheep, a Buddy and Jim sketch, Big Bird meeting Mr. Rogers, Big Birds birdkateers, a Herbert Birdsfoot sketch, a Guy Smiley sketch, a Biff and Sully scene, Bubble On My Snuffle, the monster who ate the television set, Ernie holding glued plates (inspired by a baker skit), the monsters from We're All Monsters, Lefty and the golden an, Kermit in cinderellas horse drawn coach, Elmo playing the piano to the eating song, Elmo and telly singing Heavy And Light, Cookie Monster eating Ernies phone, Cookie and Herry eating a letter M, the typewriter guy, Kermit being confronted by the first season monsters (from his milk lecture), Little Jerry and the Monotones inside a telephone booth, a scene with Aristotle, a clip with william wegmens dogs, a Monster Clubhouse scene, a scene from the beginning of Me Lost Me Cookie At The Disco, and a scene from Rosevelt Franklins classroom.

After they are all relieved that they don't need a memory machine to have memories, they al sing a new version of Things That I Reember. Ernie and Bert start the song, and the others sing new lines that are specific to the characters. The scene moves along to various areas of the street, even showing some characters (even if they don't all get lines) who haven't been seen much in a long time, including Biff, Sully, Sherlock Hemlock, Simon Soundman, Forgetful Jones, Guy Smiley, and Rosevelt Franklin. at the end of the song, the whole cast gets in front of the 123 sesame street building, with most of the muppets at the main center of the screen and Big Bird, Snuffy, Alice, Barkly, and the humans in the foreground, along with some muppets in areas where their performers can't be seen.

The ending credits are displayed alongside various cast photos, ending with a still of the final frame.

The characters in the last group shot are:
Standing in the foreground: Susan, Gordon, Miles, Alan, Big Bird, Snuffy, Alice, gabbi, Maria, Luis, Barkly, Bob, Gina, grouchkateers, and birdkateers.
Sitting on steps; Elmo, Telly, Grover, Rosita, and Baby Bear.
In gutter: Bert and Ernie.
looking out window: Two-headed Monster.
At oscars trash can area: Oscar, Grungetta, and Slimey.
In close-up: Cookie Monster, Herry Monster, Sherlock Hemlock, Biff, Sully, Rosevelt Franklin, Fat Blue, Mumford, Zoe, Forgetful Jones, Buster, Gladys, Honkers, Dinger, Benny, Count, Simon Soundman, and Guy Smiley.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I think this is a great idea -

It's probably unlikely, however, that you would see a modern clip from 2002's Journey to Ernie played alongside 1969's skit "I ate the sandbox," only because they probably don't want to mix and match old and new Ernie's.

It appears that Sesame Workshop likes to make the skits appear timeless and seamless and there's too much change in Ernie/Bert's appearances.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
It's probably unlikely, however, that you would see a modern clip from 2002's Journey to Ernie played alongside 1969's skit "I ate the sandbox," only because they probably don't want to mix and match old and new Ernie's.
Well, I think that is more unlikely for a regular episode, but it might be possible for an anniversary special a documentary, or maybe even a video.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Wow. Such a lot of classic material. You must be an avid Sesame Street expert indeed.

That reminds me I think you won your award for this very subject if my memory serves me rightly. Congratulations my good friend.