Sesame Street...Afghanistan?

beaker

Reaction score
You know, I have to hand it to Sesame Workshop. They got cajones the size of Texas. I saw the World According to Sesame Street, and they said they were developing Sesame Street in Afghanistan? I love how they aren't afraid to go into wartorn areas with constant chaos, and develop co productions to try and help the children of impoverished nations.

Anyone know more about this or other countries youre surprised they are going into? Heck, I'm all for Sesame Street Iraq, Sesame Street Iran, Sesame Street Korea, etc.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Hmm those shows would be interesting to see and compare them to ours

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I agree, it's great to see them reach out to anyone they can :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Trying not to be political here, but I have a feeling it's not going to happen. And even still, wouldn't the performers be too too scared of trying to train the puppeteers over there?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I imagine they would be scared. I would be. But on the other hand, it would be incredibly brave to try and bring a little bit of hope to such a troubled country right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Once again, not being political in anyway, but if things really DID work out, and the Taliban wasn't trying to get back in control, this would have been a cool idea.

BTW, if Kathy Mullen is still in the country (I heard she went over there years back) she could train the puppeteers. I didn't think of that sooner.

beaker

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Once again, not being political in anyway, but if things really DID work out, and the Taliban wasn't trying to get back in control, this would have been a cool idea.

BTW, if Kathy Mullen is still in the country (I heard she went over there years back) she could train the puppeteers. I didn't think of that sooner.
The US is never going to get rid of the Taliban. Heck the US put em in there and the first place, and Pakistan gives them safe haven. This is a problem, because even right now as of 2006, many women and children are denied education in a lot of Afghanistan. Most the aide only goes to Kabul, so a majority of the country lives ultra poor in remote areas with no electricity. Heck, having any sort of fun I think was illegal in Afghanistan til a few years ago.

I want the utmost safety for the Sesame Street folks, BUT...I also see them as the same as relief workers, selfless in their desire to truly try to give some semblence of hope in an otherwise very bleak part of the world.

heralde said:
Well, I imagine they would be scared. I would be. But on the other hand, it would be incredibly brave to try and bring a little bit of hope to such a troubled country right now.
Exactly. Politics always gets involved and upsets people but when youg et right down to it...be it the genocide in Sudan/Chad and the other crazyness in Africa, the conflicts in the middle east, etc...children deserve to have some sort of education, and levity in their life. A lot of these kids end up working in factories or becoming prostitutes or soldiers at a very early age, others suffer from all sorts of problems and trauma.
Having something like Sesame Street, in a place like Afghanistan of all places...where despite the US trying to intervene, is ruled by the harshest of
tribal rule, would be the biggest ray of light next to a UN food truck.

Drtooth said:
Trying not to be political here, but I have a feeling it's not going to happen. And even still, wouldn't the performers be too too scared of trying to train the puppeteers over there?
Didnt they already do co productions in war torn areas, where all kinds of chaos is ensuing. Like Israel/Palestine, Kosovo, Bangledesh, etc

Drtooth

Reaction score
beaker said:
Exactly. Politics always gets involved and upsets people but when youg et right down to it...be it the genocide in Sudan/Chad and the other crazyness in Africa, the conflicts in the middle east, etc...children deserve to have some sort of education, and levity in their life. A lot of these kids end up working in factories or becoming prostitutes or soldiers at a very early age, others suffer from all sorts of problems and trauma.
Having something like Sesame Street, in a place like Afghanistan of all places...where despite the US trying to intervene, is ruled by the harshest of
tribal rule, would be the biggest ray of light next to a UN food truck.
That's why they really need it. The kids need to grow up full of hope and love. None of this sort of religious in some way dogma about how God really does want us to kill everyone with a differing view on their faith. I mean, that's what they tried to do with Sesame/Israel-Palistine. It didn't exactly work. But they tried. In that documentary, I recall one line. "We can't just reach the heart of one child. We need to do more than that."

But then it boils down to parents passing off hate they learned from there parents which actually stems from the greedy, corrupt, bloodthirsty idiots people let rule the world.

Didnt they already do co productions in war torn areas, where all kinds of chaos is ensuing. Like Israel/Palestine, Kosovo, Bangledesh, etc
Well... I really should say that it won't happen, not just because of the chaos, but because I feel that somehow, something's going to happen on behalf of the telivision company or companies that exist in that country. Maybe they want to have some agenda, maybe they'll think we're pushing some agenda on them... you know what I mean. I would LOVE to see this happen.

The US is never going to get rid of the Taliban. Heck the US put em in there and the first place, and Pakistan gives them safe haven. This is a problem, because even right now as of 2006, many women and children are denied education in a lot of Afghanistan.
And Sadam... and well, the list goes on all the way back to stupid desicions back in the 70's and 80's. I mean, what was that war fought against? Communists? Oh yeah... they reallywere planning something. Didn't we screw up a part of South America too?

beaker

Reaction score
Oh yeah, a lot of the problems/situations today, from central/south America to the middle east are a direct result of US meddling.

Now you're right, the few tv stations in these countries most likely want some sort of "agenda" or propaganda in their versions of Sesame Street, which I doubt SS workshop is going to be down for. They ARE willing to make some concessions; SS workshop was very keen to not using certain elements of American Sesame or other Sesame for Arab country versions of Sesame Street due to cultural/religious meanings being different.

I love Sesame Street, because it truly is a Ghandi like thumb in the nose of oppression. No politician or peace accord can touch people like Jim Henson and Cooney's vision. Heck I'd love to see Sesame Street go to super remote regions, like Pashtun controlled regions of Pakistan's Waristan, or central Africa, or Mongolia...or even Iceland. Just go nuts.
Sadly, the evil men who control a lot of the world are too stubborn to realize, gosh forbid, that their people should have any positivity.

That's why it was essential for Sesame Street to always take place in "the ghetto". That's why they need to create characters like Kami. I've read they are reluctantly considering puppet sketches that deal with landmines and coming across weapons. Americans have really no clue, for the most part what life is like outside their idyllic suburbia. Heck I kow I didnt til I started doing research.

An update, it turns out they ended up localizing(ie: redubbing Egyptian Sesame Street with a few new segments with Grover) to make "Koche Sesame", for Afghanistan...so its not exactly a new Sesame production, ie: they didnt set up shop to make an Afghani specific SS, and it can only be seen in certain classrooms and other places. But I give Sesame credit for trying.

Btw, did ya know SS workshop is working on productions for Northern Ireland, and various other cultural/racial conflicted areas?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I did hear about putting Sesame Street in Northern Ireland, at The Museum event. Interesting idea, considering their big conflict is over religious differences within the same religion.