Sesame Street at the Hollywood Bowl ?

mbmfrog

Reaction score
At least that what I heard through Muppet Wiki, as the Human cast of the show accompanys The Pink Martini band in a host of Sesame Street songs.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Hollywood_Bowl

Also what sort of bugs me was that there no sign of any of the Muppet cast at all, which short of makes me question once again if the show bugdet was THAT BAD enough for them not to include any of the Muppet regulars for this event. :frown:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
yes, the audio of the medley has been on youtube for months. i'm not sure why you take offense at Pink Martini wanting to spotlight the cast--the humans are beloved characters too, and it's kind of insulting to them to insinuate that they would only be asked as a second choice if a muppeteer couldn't be gotten.

i thought the medley was one of the best sesame street appearances/tributes of this whole years-long 40th anniversary comeback streak the show has been having, and here's why:

the guest appearance was part of pink martini's regular concert, because Emilio Delgado recorded "Sing" with them on their most recent album. the recording was not just because Sesame Street's 40th reminded the band that they grew up with the show, but because that's the kind of music they do. classy retro multi-lingual lounge jazz, both originals & covers of cool songs from any decade. so the recording was nice because their music is always good (and because Luis is seriously underappreciated).

it's not unusual for artists who made guest appearances on an album to make guest appearances at concerts, and that's what this was, expanded to seven cast members (Luis, Bob, Susan, Gordon, Maria, Gina, and Alan) and nine songs ("Sesame Street Theme," "What's the Name of That Song?" "Rubber Duckie," "I Love Trash," "One of These Things," "Tu Me Gustas," "People In Your Neighborhood," "Mah-Na Mah-Na," "C Is For Cookie," and "Sing").

it was great musically because Pink Martini is awesome. I particularly liked how they did "What's the Name of That Song?" as a bossa nova, which made it sound familiar yet fresh, classic Sesame Street yet classic Pink Martini. but all the arrangements were nice.

and it was great as far as Sesame characters are concerned, too. i mean, how classic 70s-80s Sesame Street is it to have an ensemble number that includes a majority of the human cast? they rarely get enough of them together any more, and when they get a few they maximize racial diversity...so this appearance gives us the rare chance to hear Susan & Gordon sing together and to hear Maria & Luis sing together. Bob's monologue is so adorably classic Bob it cracks me up every time. and Mah-Na Mah-Na gave the cast a rare opportunity to act silly, reminiscent of the bygone days when they appeared in raposo-scored inserts doing physical comedy like building letters in pixilation or acting like charlie chaplin.

at a time when the show itself, and the commemoration hype has been very focused on muppets, celebrities, parodies, and current pop culture, it's a real treat to hear the human cast perform nicely orchestrated Raposo, Moss, and Pottle classics to an adoring audience of 15,000 adults.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I apologize, it was just a question after all.:frown: