Sesame Street censorship

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

That's sort of what it sounded like to me too. No matter how many times I listen to that, I still can't make out Oscar saying "You G- d**** son of a b****," or anything like that. But if that's all he's saying, why the heck did the train come by? Did it just happen to be there by sheer coincedence? Maybe he's swearing in "grouch" language. Lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Perhaps, it was a joke, so Big Bird wouldn't've felt even worse!

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2002
That's sort of what it sounded like to me too. No matter how many times I listen to that, I still can't make out Oscar saying "You G- d**** son of a b****," or anything like that. But if that's all he's saying, why the heck did the train come by? Did it just happen to be there by sheer coincedence? Maybe he's swearing in "grouch" language. Lol.
the train coming by was part of the joke. many times on a childrens show when a sound is blocking out a supposed prfoanity, the word is actually a random mumble. Example: On Rugrats, Aneglica is supposed to have been saying b*stards on Word of the Day but she obviously said nothing.

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2002
the train coming by was part of the joke. many times on a childrens show when a sound is blocking out a supposed prfoanity, the word is actually a random mumble. Example: On Rugrats, Aneglica is supposed to have been saying b*stards on Word of the Day but she obviously said nothing. Of course, when the word was uttered it was blocked out by such things as a test pattern.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That reminds me of an episode of the Critic! Jay was saying something like, and here's what I think of the Producers of Ghostbusters 3... (a Technical difficulties sign pops up) and Jay returns wearing a bathrobe, and being excorted off stage.

Also on the Simpsons, Homer says the word that rhymes with Truck, and a loud loud organ sour note plays, Flanders adds, "That's the loudest profanity, I've ever heard!"

ssetta

Reaction score
How did this thread get so many replies so quickly? Also, there was a SS episode with The Ugly Duckling that kept doing stuff to "make himself not look so darn ugly." This episode took place in 1993. Was that before they phased out the violence?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
To ssetta:

There was an episode after 1993 that had violence. Kingston wrote a story about a king who couldn't read. The king ended up getting trampled by rampaging horses and a piano fell on him!

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by TravellingMatt
Don Music was retired for similar reasons. Apparently too many kids were emulating his habit of banging his head against his piano keyboard. It's a shame...Don truly was a terrific character. I wish they had moved him to "The Muppet Show"...he would've worked great with Kermit and Rowlf in particular, and his reactions to Gonzo, Statler, and Waldorf would be priceless. (Gonzo would say Don was talented, claiming he loved it whenever Don banged his head against the piano keys.)

We know what the Unpaved book said about Don Music's head-banging on the piano, but it should also be noted that Don was performed by Richard Hunt. He, of course, passed away in 1992. It wasn't too long before then that I think I do remember seeing Don as a "street Muppet". (Eesh, that phrase doesn't sound very nice.)

I can't see who they would have gotten who could have adequately take Richard's place as the character.

Just my 1 cent. (Tough times, ya know)