1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Street censorship

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Boober_Gorg, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Where the Heck is Heck?

I know they say Heck abunch of times on BTL, and there's no complaint. In one episode, Theo tells Cleo, "That was one Heck of a Bed Time Story!" Never edited out! Beleivve me! They show the same episodes in rotation so many times, I can tell.

I also seem to remember a cartoon about Cactuses singing about "here" and one said, "to Heck with there!" Of course, I haven't seen the sketch for some time.

I remeber reading about a sketch they only showed once on Sesame, from another board a year ago, in which kids were improvising different words that begin with "B", and one kid pointed his finger out like a gun and said, "BANG! BANG!!" while two kids reacted by keeling over. Anyone know about this?
  2. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

Splurge - "street muppet" doesn't sound that bad. it sounds cool! like STREET PUNK! or "Spirit Of The Street"
  3. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

What's BTL?
  4. Drtooth

Daffyfan.... BTL, is Between the Lions. It's a show that first aired two years ago, featuring Lions who run a Library. A lot of former Sesame Employees work on this, so the humor is very similar to Sesame Street. It's a really good show! Check it out!
  5. Daffyfan2003

Oh, yeah. I've heard of that show. Maybe I'll check it out some time when I have time. I do remember reading that Ernie has made a guest apperance on that show.
  6. roadrat15

roadrat15 New Member

Does anyone know whether Harvey Kneeslapper was removed for censorship reasons?
  7. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

I'm not sure. According to the Unpaved book, it was too much of a strain for Oz to do Harvey's voice. But he WAS able to do Cookie Monster for all those years ...

Okay, that wasn't much help, right?
  8. Clean Gultch

Clean Gultch New Member

well a shouting laugh was harveys trademark and i think thats what troubled his throat. cookie monster, yoda and grovers voices lean more towards his actual voice but more gruffer which is why its not so hard. guy smiley was hard on jims throat cause of the shouting voice but characters like rowlf were fine cause his voice leaned more towards that area.
  9. Ol' Buddy Bert

Ol' Buddy Bert New Member

I don't know...I find that the lower gruff voices are just as hard on my throat as well, especially as I get older.

Jim Henson even said in one of the interview segments on the MTM DVD that he could only do a few takes of Dr. Teeth because it was very hard on his vocal chords. I think that Rowlf and Dr. Teeth have very similar vocal qualities and might have been just as hard on the voice.

But I digress...that's not the point of this thread is it. :)

Awhile ago (on the old board) there was a discussion on several Ernie and Bert sketches that are now frowned upon by the workshop because Bert fainted at the end of them. Some of them have been reshot with Bert running out of the room. But I tell you what no one can make a puppet drop to the floor like Frank Oz can.
  10. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I think another reason why Harvey Kneeslapper was chucked was because people didn't like him all that well. He was a one-note joker, where all of his jokes sounded pretty much the same. They still used inserts with him for many years after they stopped using him. They just didn't need to do anymore, because they were all the same.

And also, there is this Ernie & Bert sketch, probably from the 1st season, in The Sesame Street Story Book. I am assuming that it was on the show, but I'm not sure, here it is:

"BERT Presents The Number 5"

(We see Ernie sleeping in a chair, as Bert walks into the room.)
    B: Wake up, Ernie. You're supposed to learn something.
    E: I did learn something. I learned that you won't let me take a nap.
    B: (holds up number 5) Don't be funny. What's this I'm holding up?
    E: Uh...a banana cream pie?
    B: NO, you meatball! Guess again.
    E: I know! It's a CHOCOLATE cream pie!
    B: (holds up chocolate cream pie in his other hand) Look, birdbrain. If this number 5 is a chocolate cream pie, then what's this in my other hand?
    E: It's a number 5.
    (Bert throws pie, and it dumps on Ernie's head)
    E: I knew what it really was...but who wants to get hit with a number 5? Yum.

Maybe it would be better if they edited out the part with Bert throwing the pie. Anyway, was this ever on the show?
  11. Boober_Gorg

That, and throw a fit. :D
  12. Daffyfan2003

I've thought about that. I've read that Harvey Kneeslapper was retired because the laugh he did was hard on Frank's vocal chords, but then why not just let someone else do the voice? So I have to agree with you there.
  13. Drtooth

Plus, it had Bert calling Ernie names like Meatball (a weight insult). Oscar doesn't do this much anymore, if you notice!

As for Harvey Kneeslapper, wanna hear something funny? Watch an old episode of MASH! Allan Alda laughs JUST like Harvey!

And, Oscar's comments on Big Bird, I watched it last night. Remember Muttley from the Dick Dastardly cartoons, and how he said something like "Rassa Frazzin Rick Rassserrry?" The old kind of cartoon swearing? That's what Oscar REALLY says. "You are, without a doubt the stupidest, razza muzza gragga zaaammma fraggzzin bird I ever met" (or close to it!)
  14. Ol' Buddy Bert

Ol' Buddy Bert New Member

You know, I was just saying that to my girlfriend last night. I love the way Frank uses the octaves of his voice for his characters. When Grover, Bert and Fozzie get frustrated and lose their tempers he uses the top end of his register. When Piggy means business he drops to the lower register of his falsetto. I think he's a tremendous actor.
  15. roadrat15

roadrat15 New Member

They censored some Bert & Ernie because Bert fainted? Very overkill.
  16. Boober_Gorg

True. I liked his part in Monsters Inc., even though it wasn't a major one. In that movie he's[color=dark red] the meek 3-eyed worker[/color] known as [color=dark red]Fungus[/color]. I wish he could have worked on Fraggle Rock though. I once thought I heard him in The Great Radish Famine, in the scene where all the Doozers are panicking. Anybody know what I mean?

Now I see how easy it is to wander off topic.

:o Hoo boy I'm sleepy. G'night.
  17. Niall

Niall New Member

LOL!

I remember they had that book in MY elementary school library as a kid, and I very clearly remember this one. It was presented in a sort of "comic-book" format, wasn't it?

But to answer your original query: No, I think it's very unlikely that it was an illustrated version of a skit from the show. AFAIK, the Muppet characters on Sesame Street were NEVER on the receiving end of pies in the face. Only the humans suffered this indignity, as I recall and is also noted by David Borgenicht in "Sesame Street : Unapaved" (the book, not the show) You would think that the reason for this is because of the damage and staining that could result from this or the difficulty cleaning them afterward. Interestingly however this was not the case on The Muppet Show, where I recall Kermit receiving a pie in the face in the Roger Moore episode. Roger Moore of course was the actor who played James Bond in the Bond movies of that time. Scooter approaches Kermit backstage with a tray full of cream pies that he thought he wanted. Kermit says "No! I said SPIES, not PIES!" (keeping with a theme surrounding the nature of their guest star obviously) Scooter asks what he should do with the pies and Kermit says "just throw them away" and then goes out on stage to introduce the next act. Scooter just shrugs his shoulders and says "OK" and heaves the whole tray of pies towards the front of the stage where Kermit is hit with one of them. I think there were a few more , but they all involve Kermit getting hit. Maybe that was because unlike other muppets, there were several versions of Kermit and would have regarded one or two as expendable.
  18. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

sesame street doesn't seem like a "pie in the face" show, but the Muppet Show does
  19. Drtooth

There are some animations in which they have pies in the face. There is this one with a movie director and clowns. They throw 12 pies in his face. Obviously a skit about 12!
  20. Daffyfan2003

THANK YOU, DR. TOOTH!!! I'VE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THAT EVER SINCE I SAW THAT SPECIAL!!! NOW, I CAN SLEEP TONIGHT!!!!

I'm sorry, but I don't care much for character's fainting either. I don't know why, but I've just always had a problem with it.