1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Sesame Street figure line CANCELLED!

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by mikealan, Mar 23, 2006.

1. mikealan

mikealan New Member

I think I heard about this on the Muppet Wiki page about the Super Grover action figure.

Does this means that the production of Sesame Street action figures from Palisades Toys is coming to an end, due to be acquired by Limited by CAS, Inc.?

The back of the Super Grover box said that Series 1 would be coming soon, but it didn't! And it also had the original plans from last summer on the back too!

2. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour Active Member

yep its old news
    http://www.palisadestoys.com/Forum/index.php
    go here and read in the sesame forum and in the first forum as well for information.

3. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

it's a shame

4. flyingpenguin

flyingpenguin New Member

I knew this would happen!!!!
    At least I got Super Grover though, is there any way at all to get Big Bird & Little Bird and the first series, did they only make the ones in the pictures????

Disney Ruins Everything!!!!!

:mad: :mad:

5. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour Active Member

this has nothing to even do with disney..where are you even getting this?
    Disney only owns the muppet show muppets...not Sesame Street muppets.

6. flyingpenguin

flyingpenguin New Member

I realize Disney doesn't own Seasame Street, but its my understanding that they cancelled the muppet line, even though I heard it was selling pretty good (maybe not good enough for them), then seasame street gets cancelled and Palisades goes under, maybe (maybe), if disney didnt cancel the muppet line, palisades would still be going strong producing muppets & ss & who knows maybe even fraggles. Then you'd have someone to keep Supergrover company. (My theory):zany: :zany: :zany:

7. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Meh. Disney has absolutely nothing to do with this, okay!

8. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Cancel Guy Smiley. Bring on Sherlock Hemlock.

Maybe if Palisades' Sesame Street line really has been cancelled as well as the continuation of the Muppets line, there should be a new toy company that should get the rights to continue production for Sesame Street and the Muppets and as well as the kids' popular companies such as Disney (although Disney currently owns the Muppets), Sesame Workshop, Nick, Cartoon Network and PBS Kids. For Series 1, I think Guy Smiley should be replaced by Sherlock Hemlock so Guy should move into the sixth series so he could be packed with a game-show set.

9. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Bear is right.Disney had nothing to do with it.The licensing agreement was between Palisades and The Jim Henson Company with the deal being done before the Disney take over, and Palisades had the rights till 2005.Disney can not cancel it because they didnt start it.If Palisades wanted to continue it, then they would of had to negotiate with Disney.Palisades didnt renew the figures not because Disney wouldnt let them, but because after 9 waves, they thought it had run it's course.

10. mikealan

mikealan New Member

On Muppet Wiki, when it says that the Sesame Street figure line is cancelled as well as some unreleased Muppet figures as Sal Manilla, does this mean that we'll never seem them for the rest of our lives and never be getting them?

DVD's ruined every collectible merchandise!!

11. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I don't understand.

12. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

See... That kinda confirms one of the problems I have with Wiki in general...

Mike, let me try to expalin.
    First of all... The Sesame Street figures were only manufactured in a low amount, as finished samples. The line got cancelled due to a combination of factors including the closing of Palisades Toys' operations. However, because these final samples exist, I wouldn't rule out seeing them on eBay in the distant future. Prototypes were put up for auction, missed the boat on those. As for never seeing them in our lifetimes... Let's just hope that Kenneth Lilly's new Creatus Maximus company can get the license and move forth from those sculpts.

As for Sal Manilla, he goes into a different category altogether. Sal Manilla, along with Baby Kermit and Piggy, and the Vet's Hospital trio were only made in prototype sculpted form. So those would only see the light of a collector's shelves if they were put up on eBay or obtained through other channels of personal connections.

As for the slate of figures Ken said would probably be S11-14, those were never made... Just him expressing what might've been released if the line had continued.
    Hope this helps.

13. mikealan

mikealan New Member

:mad:
    I think that means they want us to enjoy and watch new DVD's throughout the rest of our lives and forget about collecting toys such as figures! Grr!

14. Aleal

Aleal New Member

I'm a little tired of defending the Wiki, so this is my final post on the subject.

Here's the precise text on the page regarding the action figures:
    "Following the bankruptcy of Palisades and the sale of the company to Limited by CAS Inc. in feburary 2006, the proposed Sesame Street line of action figures was cancelled. Only the Super Grover Action Figure, sold at conventions, has been made available for purchase to date. Although the first four figures in the series were apparently manufactured and listed on many sites, the cancelation of the line has prevented the figures from being released. Other figures, planned for series 2 or beyond, were never fully completed beyond prototype stages. Each figure would have been accompanied by a Letter of the Alphabet and part of Sesame Street, to be put together to create a diorama playset."

And on the individual pages for Guy Smiley and Big Bird action figures, I point out that they have yet to surface for retail. No such claim as "These figures will never be seen" is made, simply that they have been pulled from all but a few online retailers and all signs indicate if they do surface, it won't be through retail. I made it as accurate as I could based on posts from Ken Lilly on his forums and all apparent evidence.

I'm done.

15. mikealan

mikealan New Member

I mean, sorry to bother you, but if we spend the time watching DVD's, I think I must keep it myself! Sorry! :o

16. The Count

Hey A.Leal... Sorry if it seems I'm giving you guys a hard time... Definitely not my intentions, just that I have my reservations. But I'm sure you do a heck of a job, just like I attempt to do so with the Muppet Listings.

A few things you might want to add.
    The claim that each figure would come with a letter of the alphabet was only said to continue as far as the line went, no promise that the entire alphabet would be released.
    The facade playsets were originally intended to be split into four pieces, one piece to be released with each of the figures in the main lineup of the series accompanying that set's release... A piece of the area from Oscar's trashcan to Big Bird's nesting area with the four figures intended for S1. But that plan was abandoned while the line was still a possibility, and the sets were to then be sold as one entire piece without being divided into individual pieces. It was this decision that allowed for more budget for accessories.
    Hope this helps... And hope the project keeps going on.

17. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

The set pieces were not pulled to make way for accessories. They were pulled because the production number was going to be so low the price point could not support the set pieces.

18. The Count

Ah yes... Thank you for correcting that piece of information MWoO.

19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It seems to me the problem is Palisades lost a crap load of money on recent lines (those PALS toys? God, how I detest them.). However, this is mainly because of the oversaturation of the adult collectors market (due in part, mostly because of crap from MacFarline... those fairytale ones really p' me off!), the fact that there's a shrinking Market for them to be sold (Suncoast is gone, EBX stopped carrying toys 2 years ago, TRU's are closing left and right), and the rotten economy (no matter how "good" they say it is, I am not buying it). With that said, now we're not even going to see series one. Just samples.

And *** does CAS plan to make, anyway? More lame g-list g-grade Sci Fi type toys? Monronically violent video game figures? They COULD make money off an SS line if they wanted to. look at the other toy lines... there's a CHARMED toy line. Buffy, Angle, I let slide because people actually would buy them..,. but CHARMED? The Royal Crown Cola to Buffy's Coke (or pepsi if you prefer)?

But this would put me off toy collecting, as indeed it almost did. I guess I'll have to rely on the TMNT, Family Guy, South Park,Teen Titans (minifigs only... the others are lame), and One Piece (they really aren't too good, actually... but they're less expensive than the Imported topys... and easier to get too) lines.

Such a dirty shame.

20. mikealan

mikealan New Member

IF a new toy company produces two series of Sesame Street figures right after Super Grover was made from Palisades before it bankrupts just like Medicom Kubricks figures, we'd get the first series which has Palisades' half of Series 1 and half of Palisades' half of Series 2 just like what Palisades did after Fun-4-All was bankrupt. We'd get:

Series 1:
    Ernie
    The Two-Headed Monster
    Grover
    The Count Von Count

Large Figure: Big Bird (with Little Bird)
    Secret Figure: Green Twiddlebug and Pink Twiddlebug 2-pack

Series 2:
    Elmo
    Oscar (with Slimey)
    Bert
    Sherlock Hemlock

Secret Figure: Blue Twiddlebug and Orange Twiddlebug 2-pack

How's that?