Sesame Street films

Ziffel

Reaction score
One more thing about this fishing one. I remember a boy (I'd say probably between 10 and 13) narrating the entire segment. It might have been that his dad was a fisherman and he had learned the trade by going out on the boat with him and was therefore explaining the process to the viewers. Or maybe SS just selected a boy to narrate since children were the primary audience. But I think he mentions at the outset that he has gone out on these expeditions before.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
this one was another dolphin film made in the 80s with Raposo singing a song called water baby. while the song title sound dumb to me it was still a nice song. this other one might have been mentioned already though i'm not sure. i 1st saw also in the 80s but read once on one of the SS yahoo groups it apparently goes back to the early days. the film about Peanut butter being made and the song it takes a lot of little nut to make a jar of peanut butter. looks older and if it is it's interesting that they at some point pulled it out of the vault one day after not showing it for years. like they must of forgotten about it or something.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Fishing boat

A few soundbites from the fishing boat film.

"My brother steers the boat."
(footage of a young man struggling to turn a ship's wheel)
"It's hard work."

A net full of fish was brought in. I think the boy said that the captain cut the string to open the net. We then saw a huge mound of seafood-to-be plop down on the deck of the ship. A crab or two scurried about. This scene lasted a while.

"But, all the fish we can eat, are put on ice..."
(footage of men carring trays of fish-on-ice down into what the boy referred to as either the "hole" or the "hold" -- the interior lower decks of the ship.)

"Baby sharks that don't have any teeth get thrown back... get thrown back in the water."
(Camera follows a fish being cast, by hand, off the ship's deck into the sea. We then see a fish swimming near the surface of the water. Oh yeah, that was exactly the way the boy said it. I wonder if that was a real narration mistake that they decided to leave in, to give it a sense of realism perhaps.)

Ziffel

Reaction score
I recall the line now about the fish without teeth being thrown back, and very vaguely about the narrator having a brother. And that makes sense about the net scene lasting quite a while because that part I recollect the most. Thanks for these details, Sesame Mike. Your memory is superb! :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i just heard this song about fruit on MC radio and i wish i wrote the title of it down but i'm posting this here because i assume it was a film song like most of the songs Raposo sung. anyone remember such a film?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Hi mike. Good to see you as always. I see from this site that the song is called "Fruit Song" :

http://www.xsao.net/Kids/Sesame_Street/

You can listen to it on windows media player. I don't think I ever heard this Raposo song before. It's pretty amusing. :smile: You can also hear other Raposo classics like, "I'm an aardvark" and "Bein' a pig".

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
There were some farm animal films too. I remember one was showing animals while some peculiar music played. After a little while the music ends. Then we hear sounds the animals make (like sheep bahhhing, pigs grunting, and a dog barking). When I was in kindergarten (1972-1973) the teacher showed this film on one of those old projectors with the big film reels. I knew every part that was coming, having seen it at home on television several times. At the time I was pleasantly surprised that we got to watch some Sesame Street in school, but maybe this film predated Sesame Street.
Then there was one with a catchy song about the proverbial question,"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Much of the film showed the production process of eggs in cartons, from what I recall.
And one I don't remember too well except for the beginning showed a man riding a tractor. A man starts out humming something like, "Bum bidda bum bidda bum bidda bum bidda lum bum bum bum." Then he starts singing with, "Roosters live on the farm.." After that I draw a blank as to the specifics, but I imagine it continued to take place on a farm.
I'm sure there were other farm animal ones. One I am extremely vague on started out with a man saying, "Milk. Did you know milk comes from a cow?"
Then I think it showed a cow being milked. Not sure, though, if the film focused on cows or on the production of milk (from the cow to the grocery store in containers).
that 1 cow film had some guy singing hey cow i see you now. etc. then would sing different verses after that. also don't know if i mentioned the bee film. camera zooms and a lady says a bee! sounding nervous. nothing really special about the film other than a bee collecting polen the music that went with it was the highlight of this one.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
this was mentioned before in another post, the filn where Raposo was singing 2 is my favorite number, somebody suggested that the young couple who were dacing, the young man looked like Ted Kopel. don't know how old he is now but the film probably was made if not the 1st season probably not long after that.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I don't remember the two is my favorite number, but I remember a "3 is my favorite number film" with dolphins I think. The first line was "1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 count." Do you know if Joe Raposo did this one too, mike?