1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Street Friday closing credits

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Nickrj, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Nickrj

Nickrj New Member

The film with Barkley playing with the kids while the credits were rolling. What year was that made? Also what year was the funky music following the sesame street theme was made?
  2. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

Let's see I remember when I first saw those credits, I think it was in the early 1990s, my guess would be 1993 or 1994 and I think the music showed up around the same time. I may be wrong as senses get deluded over time.
  3. Nickrj

Nickrj New Member

Re:

I'm talking about the old closing film with Barkley and the funky music they during the support credits afterwards. It was from when I used to watch SS in the mid to late 80's. I'd like to know when both of those were made.
  4. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

The Barkley closing was done in about 1980. The support credits had that music from 1972 to 1992.
  5. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Yeah. The Barkley closing was one I remember very clearly. I guess they changed that sometime in the 90s to a different closing with the Muppets and new music.
  6. zyzzybalubah

zyzzybalubah New Member

Is there an MP3 or video file of this avaiable anywhere? I've been desperately looking for it for years!!!
  7. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

The Barkley and the Kids closing sequence was probably made in 1980, and it was used up until 1992, when it was replaced with the new animated closing that they still use today. It was one of the worst changes that has ever happened on the show, along with the electronic chimes being replaced with new calypso. I cried a lot that day. :cry:
  8. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I always felt bad for the puppeteer who played Barkley, it just seemed like he'd get tired fast from being huddled over and always running everywhere, and you know that suit had to be hot.
  9. NorkNork

NorkNork New Member

I actually semi-knew one of the dancers in the new (1992) end credits cos her family lived in our apartment building when we were living in the Bronx. Her brother was on the show, too. I think he was in a couple of scenes too. Her name was Jennifer Diaz, the girl you see wearing her hair to the side.

The old music before 1992 still scares the bejesus out of me. Interesting factoid: There's a rapper named MF Doom that samples it on his new album MMM...Food on the song called Kookies.
  10. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

Was she a nice girl? How old is she now?
  11. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Last year, Fred Garbo (who played Barkley during the mid-80s) was part of an acrobatic/clown group (wearing big, gigantic inflatable ball-like suits) and was interviewed by a local news group in Kentucky (which was a part of his tour), and was reminded by the anchor about being on Sesame Street. As they shown footage of FTB (the crowd scene at the beginning), Garbo mentioned that it's the first time he seen footage of him in the movie, and recalls fainting after the first take.

Caroll Spinney also mentioned in his book that Brian Muehl (who also played Barkley) had stilts clamped to his hands and feet when in the dog suit.
  12. Boober_Gorg

Interesting. I think he also played a mute lavender gorilla named Garbo in this library scene I have from '86, in which Garbo does a book-balancing trick to earn a banana.
  13. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Is this a Sesame clip?

And would Garbo be considered a Muppet?
  14. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

earlier closing credits

I also like the closing credits from circa 1972. Same music as the Barkley credits, but visually it's a drawing of all the Muppets (Starting with Grover flying an airplane) that scrolls down and ends at Street level by Oscar's garbage can.
    If you watch carefully, you see Grover pops up three or four times.
    Word has it the artwork is the handiwork of Michael Frith, who illustrated a number of Sesame books in the early/mid 70's, and who is married to Kathryn Mullen, the voice/performer of Mokey Fraggle. Groovy with a capital G. :D
  15. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

If you look closely, the credits list an "Illustrator".
  16. Boober_Gorg

Yes to both.
  17. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I liked those, too. And I have heard about this one that was used from about 1974 until about 1978 or so, that showed hands on a steering wheel driving down a country road. Anyone remember this one?
  18. NorkNork

NorkNork New Member

I wouldn't know. It's been so long since we've talked to anyone in that building cos we live in the suburbs now.
  19. NorkNork

NorkNork New Member

If you go to soundamerica.com under there's part of the file available. Also the rapper MF Doom samples the song on this song called Kookies on his new album, MMM...Food.
  20. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Could you please describe Garbo? (So I can add it to The Count's Muppet listing)? :halo: